• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
hello every one i have a small problem which is i want to edit the battle background for pokemon ruby i searched a lot and a lot but i didn't find any helpful tutorial or even any tutorial to hack it please may any one help me.i want to change this:
mapoe.png

to something like this:
labelforest.png

http://pkmnhackersonline.com/battle-backgrounds/

There ya go. :)

Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2012
Hey guys, I've got a question about changing some sprites. I want to change a lot of different sprites in my hack, so I'm needing something faster than individually finding the sprite I want changed in unLZ. So, I'm wondering if there is some way to get a dump of all the sprites in my ROM, so I can sift through them at my own rate.

Also, when first starting the ROM, you get a message that says, "The internal battery has run dry..." etc. How would I go about changing that? (What do I need to do to change the text?)

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Hey guys, I've got a question about changing some sprites. I want to change a lot of different sprites in my hack, so I'm needing something faster than individually finding the sprite I want changed in unLZ. So, I'm wondering if there is some way to get a dump of all the sprites in my ROM, so I can sift through them at my own rate.

Also, when first starting the ROM, you get a message that says, "The internal battery has run dry..." etc. How would I go about changing that? (What do I need to do to change the text?)

Thanks for the help.

I bet your using VBA try using NO$GBA to see if it works.... :)

And in sprites try using WICHU's Sprite Editor but as for trainers I haven't heard of a trainer sprite editor so you'll have to do them manually in UNLZ... :)

ADLFM14

Legendary Spriter
Years
sorry guys i have another thing i want to ask about which is i want to know the command in this script
Spoiler:

which show this picture before the battle begin:
Spoiler:
and thnx for helping

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2019
5. The old OWs are probably still in the same location, so it's still reading it from there. Did you try placing the OW, changing the picture number to the newly added sprite, saving, and running the game to see if it would work? Just because A-map doesn't show it, doesn't mean the game won't.

7. ASM is a very hands-on process, so most of the compilers just compile the ASM to a .bin file, which you then manually insert with a hex editor. A large amount of ASM also deals with changing byte values at different locations, something that also can be done in a hex editor. You have to be willing to delve head-first into the game, and not rely on tools when it comes to ASM.

5)Ok, its fine.

7)If I use the .bin file open in hex editor and copy all bytes then paste into Fire Red Rom Free space after that I use XSE to callasm to the free space offset I put then it will work?

New problem :(

8) ASM will work with R/S/E Rom too?

9) I have a problem with battle background, I edited to grass battle background tileset and tilemap, but I can't edit the grass background palletes, how to edit it?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 19, 2015
Okay, I'm back. I'm not sure about the sizes of the over world Trainers, but I'll work with that when I get to it. Need to figure out whether they're some form of tile set or not... but that is for another day, once I get these programs up and running.

See, I'm running Mac OSX 10.7.4, and am attempting to use Wine to get the programs for hacking to work, since there aren't really any tools built specially for Macs. However, I've only gotten two of them to work, Advance Map and unLZ.

I've been trying to get A-Trainer, Free Space Finder, Overworld Editor RE, and XSE to function, and have made prefixes of them with the Wine binaries as included in WineBottler. I managed to get AMap and unLZ to work through this method, but not the others listed. I'm rather new at this whole coding thing, but as I've said earlier, I have a friend I want to help as much as possible.

My question is this: Is there any way I can get these programs to run? (I've noticed one thread that says HackMew's XSE should work under Wine, but I can't get it to.)

also for some reason the buttons in Advance map are upside down as are the maps when I'm in Movement Permissions and Event mode but i'm chalking that up to my running on a mac.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
sorry guys i have another thing i want to ask about which is i want to know the command in this script
Spoiler:

which show this picture before the battle begin:
Spoiler:
and thnx for helping

The script doesn't control the image showing up, it's controlled by the map header itself. Click on the "header" tab, and under "Fight Type", there will be a few options, four of them being "Elite Four". That's what makes the VS. sprites show up, although I don't know if they're set or not, i.e, if they will only display the E4, or the sprite of anyone you battle. I do know there's a nice tutorial around here with some ASM that makes that VS sprites occur anywhere you want, but I don't have a link, so you need to find it yourself if you want it. :)

5)Ok, its fine.

7)If I use the .bin file open in hex editor and copy all bytes then paste into Fire Red Rom Free space after that I use XSE to callasm to the free space offset I put then it will work?

New problem :(

8) ASM will work with R/S/E Rom too?

9) I have a problem with battle background, I edited to grass battle background tileset and tilemap, but I can't edit the grass background palletes, how to edit it?

7. You got it! I believe that if it's thumb code, you add one to the offset, but I could be wrong.

8. Yes, it will work on all GBA games. Of course, registers and stuff will be different from version to version, so take that into account.

9. I've tried editing the backgrounds too, and I can't find the palette anywhere, even by searching with APE. I've encountered a few palettes like this, that don't seem to exist, so I don't know the offset for the palette or anything.

Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2012
I bet your using VBA try using NO$GBA to see if it works.... :)

And in sprites try using WICHU's Sprite Editor but as for trainers I haven't heard of a trainer sprite editor so you'll have to do them manually in UNLZ... :)

I don't think you know what I mean. I'm wanting to dump all the sprites from my ROM, into .png files into a folder.

Also, I want to figure out how to change the text I specified. How do I find the individual scripts in the game?

redriders180

Years
I don't think you know what I mean. I'm wanting to dump all the sprites from my ROM, into .png files into a folder.

Also, I want to figure out how to change the text I specified. How do I find the individual scripts in the game?

Do you mean every single sprite in the entire game? Or just specific sprites, like Pokemon and Trainers?

Use A-text to change the text, or a hex editor.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2017
Every single possible battle is an individual battle in A-Map. The scripts check which starter you picked, and then loads the corresponding battle. In Firered, I think the "Rival" trainer class automatically loads the rival name chosen in the beginning of the game as the name of the battler. So, if you picked the name "Gary" in Oak's intro, all trainers with the trainer class "Rival" would have the name "Gary" show up after it, no matter what you set as the name.

Ah, thanks, I didn't realize that the starter you choose can be used as a variable. 0_o

But I didn't realize that the rival name could be called on by the trainer class. That's pretty cool, actually.

redriders180

Years
Ah, thanks, I didn't realize that the starter you choose can be used as a variable. 0_o

But I didn't realize that the rival name could be called on by the trainer class. That's pretty cool, actually.

Well, when you select, say, Bulbasaur, the script might set variable 0x4000 to 0x0. If you pick Charmander, it might set variable 0x4000 to 0x1, and so on. The script then compares 0x4000 to the possible values, and then calls the corresponding battle.

One of the "Champion" trainer classes does the same thing in Firered. I believe there are two, and the second one doesn't do this, so you can have Champions that aren't named after the rival.

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
Hello, I'm back with another question, though this one might be a bit more complicated than my last one. I've been trying to find out how to insert new music into a rom and then have it play when you face a certain trainer. I've managed to actually get the music into the rom using tutorials on here, but I'm having trouble with actually getting it to play during a battle. Obviously, I've spent some time looking around for how to do this, but I can't seem to find anything on it. So does anybody know how I'd get a different kind of music to play when you face a certain trainer?

Robert Conley

GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley
Years
Aside from gimp or photoshop are there any good image editing software options out there? I can't afford photoshop and with gimp I keep running into palette issues. I've heard of paint.net but don't know if it's any good. I ask because so many tutorials seem to require loading and exporting palettes in photoshop and gimp doesn't seem to be able to match this abilty too well.

Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2012
I kept on running into problems with unLZ so I tried using Nameless Sprite Editor. It's worked really well for inserting sprites but one day it randomly said that one of my sprites wasn't compressed and that it had ran into an error. Now it doesn't let me change it and the game freezes up when trying to use that sprite. Help please?

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
Aside from gimp or photoshop are there any good image editing software options out there? I can't afford photoshop and with gimp I keep running into palette issues. I've heard of paint.net but don't know if it's any good. I ask because so many tutorials seem to require loading and exporting palettes in photoshop and gimp doesn't seem to be able to match this abilty too well.

Irfanview should be able to handle palettes without giving you errors. Plenty of tutorials use that instead of Photoshop, actually. I'm not quite sure how well it works as an actual image editor, but it is definitely a useful tool for the things that specifically mentioned.

Robert Conley

GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley
Years
Irfanview should be able to handle palettes without giving you errors. Plenty of tutorials use that instead of Photoshop, actually. I'm not quite sure how well it works as an actual image editor, but it is definitely a useful tool for the things that specifically mentioned.

I tried IrFanview but it can't seem to load palette files saved from VBA, which some things, changing Oak or Intro Heroes and the world map, specifically call for. At least following the tutorials on here they do.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years

What I mean to say was if you use no$gba and input your ROM properly then that text will be gone... :)

Then try using RSball it can export images in the ROM doesn't save as png but bmp.....

And you can find the scripts in A-map\A-text.... :)

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2019
7. You got it! I believe that if it's thumb code, you add one to the offset, but I could be wrong.

8. Yes, it will work on all GBA games. Of course, registers and stuff will be different from version to version, so take that into account.

9. I've tried editing the backgrounds too, and I can't find the palette anywhere, even by searching with APE. I've encountered a few palettes like this, that don't seem to exist, so I don't know the offset for the palette or anything.

7) If I copy the bytes to 0x800000, then I need to scripting callasm 0x800001?

8) Oh, thanks.

9) Nevermind, I thinks background is not important.

New Problem again~~

10) If I imported a tileset 1 at advance map, save. Then I import another tileset 1 to the same rom. Without that, have a problem?

11) I seen a add OW palletes tutorial at tutorial page, it say need to patch JPAN hacked engine, I tried it work. If I no patch JPAN hacked engine, It also work?

EDIT: Too bad, no ppl reply me.

Last edited:

link12552

decade club
Years
I kept on running into problems with unLZ so I tried using Nameless Sprite Editor. It's worked really well for inserting sprites but one day it randomly said that one of my sprites wasn't compressed and that it had ran into an error. Now it doesn't let me change it and the game freezes up when trying to use that sprite. Help please?

By any chance are you using the Pokemon sprite plugin?
If so I may have to give it a good looking over, I had this same issue once, but I can't remember what caused it.

VM me with more info on what happened, look in your Log files - In the Core\\Logs folder - and see if anything funny looked like it happened when you saved and I'll see if we can figure it out :)

Jake 53

noob hacker
Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2013
I'm hacking Sapphire and I want the character to be able to get 1st and 2nd gen pokemon that will evolve. If I was to rescript when you get the pokedex and change it to the character receiving a national dex instead, will that solve the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back