• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Live Action Pokémon Movie

Years
Hi Pokémon trainers.
Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but what do you guys think is the possibility for a live action Pokémon movie ?

We've all probably seen the fan made trailer for Pokémon:Apokélypse, but come one....I think it's about time for a real movie.

What's the chances for a live action movie to happen ?
And who would you like to be in this movie ? Which characters ?

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Yeah, you just got me to watch the Apokélypse trailer again. Good stuff.

The problem is that Pokemon is supposed to be for kids, so they can't do that. I don't see a live action movie ever happening, to be honest. It would require WAY too much CGI, and for what? A movie that gets accused of using too much CGI, and an "unsuccessful blend" of the elements? The reviews for those kind of movies typically stink because they're not done very well.

Everyone has their conceptions of the characters as we saw them on TV. It's hard to translate the same characters into a live action movie. If they did ever go this route, a completely new cast might be necessary, for a wholly separate story. It would be more entertaining and less predictable and would separate it from the youngsters growing up on the DP and BW arcs from us veterans who want to see something new and different.

But they're focusing on who they already have: A young fanbase.

Years
Had to go see what this Pokémon:Apokélypse fan trailer was. Not the best thing I've ever seen, but that's just because of the bad acting and bad GCI. I don't think something live action would ever be made, not in a serious way anyway. It's just too much money to put into the effects for something that would be aimed at a young audience.

But if it were to be made I think a winning scenario would be one that doesn't change the tone of the series. It has to stay accessible to a young audience. None of this darker and dirtier stuff like the fan trailer had. As much as there is an older audience for the series, there is still a young audience. And the story would need to mesh with the rest of Pokemon canon. Reinventing characters or wholly changing the setting for the sake of a movie is awkward and off-putting.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
While the concept of live-action Pokemon movies are cool-sounding, but they might require a high budget to make. That, and the fact that Pokemon was aimed for kids might make the movie awkward.

#isthenumbersign
Years
The concept in the trailer was pretty gruesome if I recall, which is the already mentioned kid-friendly factor. But mainly the fact that we're so used to Pokemon being 2D/cartoon/digital, I feel like no amount of high-skilled graphics could make a live action movie look good.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
Years
Idk I highly doubt it, it would look odd. And if it does get a live action but im scared it would be horrible. Just look at Dragon Ball and Avatar Last Airbender live action. How did that turn out?

Unless if it was CGI live action then it would look slightly better. But other then that meh.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
At least it wouldn't look ridiculous like that Vanguard Live Acton movie. Grown ups playing card games with anime reactions.

I see no possibility for a movie. But if they really made one, I hope it will be Japan who makes it. America would just ruin the movie, like they did with all other live action adaptations.

Years
  • Seen Jul 10, 2013
Does anyone remember the live action DBZ movie? It was terrible and i assume if they make a Pokemon movie it will also be really bad.

Years
Does anyone remember the live action DBZ movie? It was terrible and i assume if they make a Pokemon movie it will also be really bad.
That movie was (primarily) horrible because they tried to change too many things from the source material. If they'd tried to keep it closer it wouldn't have been quite the train wreck it turned out to be.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
That movie was (primarily) horrible because they tried to change too many things from the source material. If they'd tried to keep it closer it wouldn't have been quite the train wreck it turned out to be.
I personally think it would be best if they kept the formula but gave us all new characters and a wholly separate storyline in the same universe - trying to cast the characters to whom we've become adjusted may also be a reason for failure, but having a completely new ensemble, although having a fan favourite gym leader or possibly Cynthia could definitely be necessary, as long as they stay true to the original intention.

My apologies for the run-on sentence, but in all honesty, if they keep the formula but change the characters just for the movie, it could be a tremendous success with longtime series veterans or the kids of 1998 that have grown up and moved on from the franchise. Nostalgic tendencies could go over quite well with those who have become disconnected from the franchise, and possibly restricting to majority use of the first 251 Pokemon would resonate the best with the crowd to which I am referring.

Which actors would the rest of you like to see in a movie like this?

AChipOffTheOldBrock

Too Legit To Quit
Years
  • Age 27
  • NC
  • Seen Feb 18, 2021
Hi Pokémon trainers.
Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but what do you guys think is the possibility for a live action Pokémon movie ?

We've all probably seen the fan made trailer for Pokémon:Apokélypse, but come one....I think it's about time for a real movie.

What's the chances for a live action movie to happen ?
And who would you like to be in this movie ? Which characters ?

It would likely be poorly made and pander to children. If there was one with the original season 1 cast and pokemon and it wasnt aimed so directly at children it could be good. Or it could end up like the painful Avatar: The Last Airbender and Dragonball live-action films. I mean a Pokemon live action film could be done right and be amazing but you know that would never happen in todays world.

Years
The concept in the trailer was pretty gruesome if I recall, which is the already mentioned kid-friendly factor. But mainly the fact that we're so used to Pokemon being 2D/cartoon/digital, I feel like no amount of high-skilled graphics could make a live action movie look good.

Idk I highly doubt it, it would look odd. And if it does get a live action but im scared it would be horrible. Just look at Dragon Ball and Avatar Last Airbender live action. How did that turn out?

Unless if it was CGI live action then it would look slightly better. But other then that meh.

At least it wouldn't look ridiculous like that Vanguard Live Acton movie. Grown ups playing card games with anime reactions.

I see no possibility for a movie. But if they really made one, I hope it will be Japan who makes it. America would just ruin the movie, like they did with all other live action adaptations.

While the concept of live-action Pokemon movies are cool-sounding, but they might require a high budget to make. That, and the fact that Pokemon was aimed for kids might make the movie awkward.

It would likely be poorly made and pander to children. If there was one with the original season 1 cast and pokemon and it wasnt aimed so directly at children it could be good. Or it could end up like the painful Avatar: The Last Airbender and Dragonball live-action films. I mean a Pokemon live action film could be done right and be amazing but you know that would never happen in todays world.

I agree with these guys, if Pokemon ever got a live-action film it would get bad reviews. Just look at the live-action adaptations of Dragon Ball Z and Avatar: The Last Airbender. They sucked.

On top of that, Pokemon's target audience are kids aged from 5-12 and they are much more used to the anime they are watching right now.

Also, as PlatinumDude said a huge budget would have to be required.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2013
I am currently in the writing process of a cript based off of the manga "Pokemon Adventures" but only the 1st 3 books. Comments welcome

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Gross. Don't do it. On top of ruining everyone's childhood, the critics'll hate it just because Pokemon's name is attached to it. I see a lot of people giving examples of other live action flicks panned by critics, but has it really been so long that we've forgotten how they all reviewed the Pokemon movies when they actually came out in theathers? None of them ever "got it", and I'd suspect that none of them ever will.

They probably still think Pokemon is a fad and not a franchise. I guess that means the Mickey Mouse universe is a fad too, using that logic. What a waste of time The Sorcerer's Apprentice was (I'm being sarcastic refering only to the Fantasia short. The live action "inspiration" really was a waste of time).

@LividZephyr - I'd be a part of that crowd. And I'd feel like a part of me died on the inside if I saw that. I honestly wonder how many people in my demographic actually want to see stuff like this? Why can't cartoons stay in their own world, where character design actually means something? I mean, you got those indy fan projects like the Mega Man movie and the Sonic the Hedgehog movie, but I think those are done at least somewhat ironically, and doesn't affect the canon in any way.

Here's what I would propose instead. What if some other animation studio took the helm for a Pokemon movie? I remember discussing this over email with someone else before, and we thought it'd be amazing to get a Disney/Don Bluth level story, animation quality and sense of emotion for a Pokemon centric movie (if you have trouble with thinking of Pokemon centric stories, just assume they did the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. But with that glorious animation budget and awesome storytelling principles yo~. Get some of the Pixar team in there, and I guarantee it will be a fun time to be had for everyone). I'd love to see Disney's take on it, seeing how they handled different IPs in Wreck-it-Ralph (though I'd prefer 2D). Heck, I'd try to go back into animation just for the opportunity to work on such a film. :P

I think Miyazaki would work better if it's human/trainer centric, though. He has a way of showing really scenic, beautiful worlds and telling stories blending both people and creatures.

Edit: Oh shoot, I didn't see that the last relevant reply was in October! Oy, thread locked? :( Maybe we can discuss other animation studios doing a Pokemon movie, eh? Eh? Yes? No. I dunno.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2013
Well think about it this way a movie made for fun by a perfectionist based on the one pokemon world excluding games that is actully any good.

kammond

Huh
Years
I doubt a good live action Pokémon movie could happen. Even with a huge budget and quality directing and CGI, I think it would be too hard to please enough Pokémon fans and cater to everyone. "Oh they totally ruined Pokémon blablablasdfghjklbdjdeghsjfssv".

I think dbp's Disney Mystery Dungeon movie is a pretty cool idea. That way less people can complain about how they "ruined" Pokémon since its not based on the main games. Ya know? Not to mention Disney and Pixar would probably do a great job with the Pokémon designs.

From the main games though, I think a storyline based on the BW plot would be great. I think it was the most interesting and inspiring story of all Pokémon games. Plus, imagine Zekrom and Reshiram in CGI. Purdy sweet yo. I could imagine people being unhappy about the movie not being based on generation 1 though.

If by a slim chance we ever do get a live action/CGI Pokémon movie, I think it would be far in the future, long after the Pokémon franchise is, well, mostly dead. :( Kinda like with Transformers or Batman, wait until everybody forgets about it. People will want to watch the movie for the nostalgic value. "Aw sweet, i remember Pokémon! I used to play that all the time it was the best thing ever I can't believe they're making a movie about it weeeeeuuhhh" Plus, after a while people might forget about how "nerdy" Pokémon was and they'll be more willing to accept it.

Also, that means all the Pokémon fans will be older by then, so we'll most likely be able to see an awesome gritty reboot like Christopher Nolan's Batman. And, we'll have way better CGI technology to pull off realistic and convincing Pokémon. Just imagine how realistic Garbodor would look. Yum.

Until the day though, all we have is our hope, friends. DREAM ON.

Back