• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
Since it was decided that we give you guys full reviews, you should all know that the winners won't decided for a while. Back when I was reviewing fic it took me a couple days to do a chapter. There are 20 entries. So yeah, don't expect anything this week. That is all.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Since it was decided that we give you guys full reviews, you should all know that the winners won't decided for a while. Back when I was reviewing fic it took me a couple days to do a chapter. There are 20 entries. So yeah, don't expect anything this week. That is all.
Did my entry make it in time? Or did those few minutes disqualify my entry because if so, damn the time zone converter I use. :(

Bay

Years
Mizan, it was a few minutes late, but Gummy decides to let it slide, so your entry is accepted. :)

And yeah, like Gummy said. I'll try my best to get the reviews done (I'm like halfway done with the entries already), but I also want to really finish the last two entries from the Serebii contest, so I'll probably go back and forth between them and take breaks when I need them. Haha, I have loads of summer reading to do. XD;

Real quick- luckily the entries didn't take me long to read and I'm able to write out the reviews already. Guess it's cause I already know what I want to say what I like and what needs work with the entries (that's actually how I'll grade the Literary Elements section, but I know Gummy and Asinus will grade that part differently). Also, from me reviewing for the Serebii contest, so I guess I got some reviewing practice done. XD

(the Get Together threads will be gone on September 7th and I need to get the reviews done for the Serebii one by September 12, so I got a lot of late nighters for me D: )

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Mizan, it was a few minutes late, but Gummy decides to let it slide, so your entry is accepted. :)

And yeah, like Gummy said. I'll try my best to get the reviews done (I'm like halfway done with the entries already), but I also want to really finish the last two entries from the Serebii contest, so I'll probably go back and forth between them and take breaks when I need them. Haha, I have loads of summer reading to do. XD;

Real quick- luckily the entries didn't take me long to read and I'm able to write out the reviews already. Guess it's cause I already know what I want to say what I like and what needs work with the entries (that's actually how I'll grade the Literary Elements section, but I know Gummy and Asinus will grade that part differently). Also, from me reviewing for the Serebii contest, so I guess I got some reviewing practice done. XD

(the Get Together threads will be gone on September 7th and I need to get the reviews done for the Serebii one by September 12, so I got a lot of late nighters for me D: )
Thanks. :D
I don't really expect to win with all the competition but it's fun joining the thing anyway. BTW take your time and don't stress yourselves.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Any way to get the participants list updated in the Get Together thread or over here, possibly with an asterisk or some other indicator next to the names so we'll know whose been reviewed yet?

Also, *casually inserts self into missed conversation*

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
Meh, I'd rather not go through the trouble. I'd have to be in contact contact with Bay and Astinus to make sure they've reviewed the story, then I have to see if I reviewed it myself. I also want to avoid anyone asking for their score before all the stories are reviewed and scored.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Meh, I'd rather not go through the trouble. I'd have to be in contact contact with Bay and Astinus to make sure they've reviewed the story, then I have to see if I reviewed it myself. I also want to avoid anyone asking for their score before all the stories are reviewed and scored.
Just names then? The list is pretty devoid of all the participants, and since all the entries were sent to you you should know.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Okay so new bold topic wooo:

What literary device(good examples) do you like to use most, which one the least, and which one would you like to write more of?

I like to use Pathetic Fallacy the most

And as much as I like to hamper the protagonist, I wouldn't go as far as using Tragic Flaw.

I'd like to write more of paradoxes and ironies.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I like to use Pathetic Fallacy the most
So... Your male characters have small sexual organs?

What literary device (good examples) do you like to use most, which one the least, and which one would you like to write more of?
Tragic Flaw is probably one of mine. All my characters possess some emotional issue stemming from either parental abuse/neglect or their own self-obsessive flaws that hold them back, and they only overcome at the moment they decide 'Enough!', but which are too scared to really push the issue until the very end.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
So... Your male characters have small sexual organs?

What literary device (good examples) do you like to use most, which one the least, and which one would you like to write more of?
Tragic Flaw is probably one of mine. All my characters possess some emotional issue stemming from either parental abuse/neglect or their own self-obsessive flaws that hold them back, and they only overcome at the moment they decide 'Enough!', but which are too scared to really push the issue until the very end.

I'm not sure what you mean by the first statement :S

And I think Tragic Flaw means that they'd die in the end (similar to even Macbeth's demise).

Ooo another one I'd like to use more often though is Poetic Justice.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I'm not sure what you mean by the first statement :S

And I think Tragic Flaw means that they'd die in the end (similar to even Macbeth's demise).

Ooo another one I'd like to use more often though is Poetic Justice.
Pathetic F/Phallacy...

That is the main definition of "Tragic Flaw", and though I did mean another term (which escapes me), Tragic Flaw still remains because my characters must undergo a metamorphoses that could kill them... They could die or live, depending on their will, and if they do survive, they will have died anyways by "killing" their former self.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Pathetic F/Phallacy...

That is the main definition of "Tragic Flaw", and though I did mean another term (which escapes me), Tragic Flaw still remains because my characters must undergo a metamorphoses that could kill them... They could die or live, depending on their will, and if they do survive, they will have died anyways by "killing" their former self.

i see wat u did thar :P

To clarify, TVtropes is basically a huge version of literary devices (among other things), is this correct?

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Wikipedia said:
The pathetic fallacy or anthropomorphic fallacy is the treatment of inanimate objects as if they had human feelings, thought, or sensations. The pathetic fallacy is a special case of the fallacy of reification. The word 'pathetic' in this use is related to 'empathy' (capability of feeling), and is not pejorative.

I guess I use that...although it's odd that you guys have it as a central theme.

What I really love to use, however, is hamartia, a.k.a tragic flaw. All of my main characters have one, and most of my secondary characters, at that.

Bay

Years
I suck at literary devices. XD;

Well, I think creative license would be it. I used real life historical references like the Crusades and the Imperial Era to hit home the importance of knowing your history. Not only that, I also referenced events from the later Pokemon movies in context with the Sinnoh legends argument mentioned in NE many times.

I would love to do dramatic irony more. Haha, in NE I love how the readers know who done this and such already, but the characters don't. It's even more funnier that their guesses (the characters) are way offfffffffff. :P

Last edited:

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Hmm, according to that list, "setting" is a literary device, and I make great use of that. I also like tragic flaws, although, interestingly enough, my main character has no tragic flaw: he's just a person who lived an upper class life and now is thrust into a situation where he must fight (which has all kinds of mini-flaws attached to it, like cowardice and gullibility).

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
I'd have to say Anthropomorphism. The Protagonist in my fic an hear Pokemon talking, therefore it is shown that they have personalities and are not merely dumb animals. I don't use the actual form of humans in Pokemon(except in one case but that's different) but I retain their original form and only change the way they talk.

Also interested in Tragedy which will come into play I assure you. And Tragic Flaw. One of my protagonists greatest flaws is the fact that he has lost his memory. Other than that, he's a sadist(deep down inside) and almost a Nihilist to the point of ignoring Morality to a certain extent. This will come into play unless i change it... He does feel guilt, pain, and suffering but he feels it on a different level to that of regular people.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I like characters the most, and the plot obviously. And dialogue. As for what I like the least, there really isn't one on that list.

I want to write more PLOT.

This question is bugging me for some reason.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
This question is bugging me for some reason.

Because it assumes that a literary device must be present?

Would there be a case when something couldn't be classified? XD I suppose scholars and such, have exhausted that sort of thing, long ago. However, like philosophy, new terms keep popping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back