• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Dark Hollow

Dragma

Trainee
Years
POKeMON DARK HOLLOW VERSION
by Dragma (by using the RPG Maker XP)

Ok...before I even start to describe/tell/show the ideas and progress so far, I need to get something out of the way: I AM NOT AN ARTIST!

I cannot sprite or do anything artistic, so I am in dire need of spriter(s), and people who are good with creating banners and other graphics. If you would like to help, please message me or post in this thread. Thanks.

STORYLINE
Spoiler:

FEATURES
Spoiler:

MY TEAM

• Dragma (Everything except sprites and the town map)
  • Anyone who is willing to help!

PROGRESS

Well, I started on February 9, 2010.
I'm working by myself.
I think I've done well so far.

Maps: 8%
Town Map: 0%
Main Plot: 5%
Side Plots: 3%
Music: 45%
Gym Leader Sprites: 0%
Emperor Sprites: 40%

SCREENSHOTS (FINALLY)
Spoiler:

I give all of the credit in the world to Poccil, who is the person who made using Pokemon Essentials on the RPG Maker possible. Thanks very much!

Last edited:

Dragma

Trainee
Years
The first beta of Pokemon Dark Hollow will be released on February 25, 2010.

Here are the places you will visit:

Spoiler:

Things you will be able to do:
Spoiler:

This is NOT the entire game. Do you honestly think I can make an entire game in just 2 weeks? Haha...give me a break.
Beta 1 only includes limited things to do for one reason: feedback. I need to know if I'm doing something that needs to be fixed, or if something needs to be brought to my attention. Constructive criticism is also welcome.

Last edited:

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
Leave the black borders indoors, remove them from from routes and towns, just put trees.
for caves just replace the black border with cave tiles.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Thanks. I will.

However, I think that insides of buildings and maybe some caves should have them.
Buildings certainly should have black borders (what would you fill them with?), but caves are a little more interesting. The first three Gens filled in the borders with generic rock, but the fourth Gen left them black. It depends how you want it to look. If you go for the latter, at least make the cave walls two tiles tall all around.

Regarding your screenshots, your mapping skills could do with a little improvement. The "hi there Phuj" ground should be raised so that it looks higher than the lava, and you should merge it into the cave wall so that there aren't slivers of red between the two. The floor texture of "choose one of these 5" doesn't look particularly like a cave - they look like old floorboards. And the trees at the side of "Professor Robus' Lab" are too widely spaced - players would expect to be able to squeeze between them. And swathes of red flowers like that doesn't look that great.

While we haven't seen much of your outdoor mapping skills, I fear they may be a little too square and sparse. Still, we'll have to see whether that concern is justified or not.

Dragma

Trainee
Years
Regarding your screenshots, your mapping skills could do with a little improvement. The "hi there Phuj" ground should be raised so that it looks higher than the lava, and you should merge it into the cave wall so that there aren't slivers of red between the two. The floor texture of "choose one of these 5" doesn't look particularly like a cave - they look like old floorboards. And the trees at the side of "Professor Robus' Lab" are too widely spaced - players would expect to be able to squeeze between them. And swathes of red flowers like that doesn't look that great.

While we haven't seen much of your outdoor mapping skills, I fear they may be a little too square and sparse. Still, we'll have to see whether that concern is justified or not.

I definitely agree with these concerns. Like I said, my creative skills are quite lacking.

I've been toying around, and I have since improved the caves and the lava. As for the trees, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Players will learn quickly that they cannot squeeze through them.

In addition, the way I choose to lay out my maps is unique and special to me. I understand that concerns about look, but I'm not concerned about minor flaws.

Hopefully the release of the 1st Beta will give me some more input for improvement. I greatly appreciate the feedback.

Let me just get this out of the way before I get anymore emails and messages:

I understand that my maps and other visuals aren't perfect. I understand this, and no I'm not finding someone to map for me.

I don't consider my maps and such bad or even horrible. In my opinion, they are pretty good.

So if you aren't going to try my game because of the maps, then I think you're missing the entire point of a fan-made game. They are supposed to be made because the creator has a vision for a fun Pokemon game. Be focused on the content and enjoyment value of the game. You don't play Pokemon because it looks pretty and colorful. You play it because it's fun and exciting. That's what I hope my game brings.

Sorry for the rant, but I've had too many emails from people who like to give "suggestions."

Last edited:
Back