• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Move Editor

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2010
Generation III doesn't work that way. That was something invented in generation IV. for all the generations before IV, attacks are physical or special depending on their type, and nothing else. Thus, *all* grass type attacks are special attacks, and *all* rock type attacks are physical attacks.

I could make a program that let's you switch which types are special and physical the hard way, but I think there's a short way of doing it also, which I would like to find. If I can't find the short way, I'll make a program that does it the long way.

Also, a few other things: I found an error when trying to open a file when a file's already open, so I'll work on that. If you get it, just close the program and run it again to open the file you want, and it should prolly work then.

And lastly, for some reason I neglected to say this in the readme, but some of the choices for "effects" have an asterisk by them. This means that they're not used in the game, but the description given fits the pattern for what should *theoretically* be there. Thus, I don't know if such effects actually do something, or do nothing; I was too lazy to test it, but I'll test it soon when I start my next round of fixing programs.

I'm fairly certain the attacks flagged as "contact" (those that trigger the rough skin ability) were the ones changed to physical attacks in D/P. Wouldn't changing how the game engine treats "contact" attacks be the only necessary change?

FinalZero

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
I'm fairly certain the attacks flagged as "contact" (those that trigger the rough skin ability) were the ones changed to physical attacks in D/P. Wouldn't changing how the game engine treats "contact" attacks be the only necessary change?
Sure, if you know how to do that. I imagine that would take assembly, which I don't know very well.

I think some people misunderstand how I've created programs up to now. Of all the programs I've made so far, most have already had the vital info on how to change/manipulate something discovered. I just use that data that's already floating out there (be it on this website, or Bulbapedia, or wherever else) and make a program for it, because nobody likes editing that stuff the hard way. The point I'm trying to make here is, thankfully, very rarely have I had to figure for how to do something myself, because frankly, I'm not very good at it. So, if you can find the info on how to make FRLG treat moves like in DP, sure I can make a program for it, because I don't have the time to chase after uncertain futures myself.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023

Certain physical moves in D/P don't make contact, while some special ones do. For example, Earthquake does not make contact, despite being physical; Petal Dance makes contact though it's special.
So implementing it in this way wouldn't really be accurate.

FinalZero

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
Certain physical moves in D/P don't make contact, while some special ones do. For example, Earthquake does not make contact, despite being physical; Petal Dance makes contact though it's special.
So implementing it in this way wouldn't really be accurate.
We'd have to use some other variable then, but thankfully there are already two free bits on the contact byte that could be used. I have no idea how to write the code to use them though. Who're the people on this board that know assembly well?

FinalZero

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
just a little wonder, why no attack editor tool have the full list of move effects rather than 245, 246,...
Because those spots are blank. Go through a clean rom move by move and you'll see that they aren't used. I included them however, in case someone one day finds a way to edit them, and then decide to use them.

Amazing tool. The coding is solid. The layout is perfect. It's just useful. x.x It's like YAPE, but for attacks...def' the best one to date.
Thank you. =p Anyways, I'm going to make a small update to it soon, so check back later. Don't worry, there's no dire errors, I'm just changing some of the move descriptions, making the readme not so confusing to read, and fixing the tab order of the edit boxes.

The 1.01 version is now out! (Thank the three week christmas break for me actually getting some programming done on a timely basis. =p)

http://jc.tech-galaxy.com/MoveEditor-1.01.zip
http://jc.tech-galaxy.com/MoveEditor-1.01.rar

Also, the error about opening a file that I mentioned before was a false alarm. Turns out that my rom indeed got damaged somehow, and so my program rightly refused to try to edit it.

Last edited:

FinalZero

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
What did you add/fix/make better in 1.01?
From the readme...
Code:
- Fixed the tab order of the edit boxes and combo boxes.
- Added some more effect descriptions.
- Reogranized the readme.
Apparently I can't spell "reorganized"...

Pogeygothaxed

Pokémon exDeltaSpecies Creator
Years
Stupid little question, but, regarding the priories. x.x What is the highest value you can input? 'cause I get it up to 99, but nothing in-game uses anything close to that, so I don't know if the game could handle something like it? I read the readme, and looked through all of the other post but didn't find anything, so.

FinalZero

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
Stupid little question, but, regarding the priories. x.x What is the highest value you can input? 'cause I get it up to 99, but nothing in-game uses anything close to that, so I don't know if the game could handle something like it? I read the readme, and looked through all of the other post but didn't find anything, so.
Well, I limit the text in that box to two characters, so you can enter between -9 and 99. But since the value stored is actually a signed char/byte, in theory you can go from -128 to 127. I haven't tested out such absurd numbers in the game though.

I think for my next minor fix to this I'll edit the text box lengths, and add some checking to the text boxes so silly things like 938247 can't be entered.

Pogeygothaxed

Years
Well, I limit the text in that box to two characters, so you can enter between -9 and 99. But since the value stored is actually a signed char/byte, in theory you can go from -128 to 127. I haven't tested out such absurd numbers in the game though.

I think for my next minor fix to this I'll edit the text box lengths, and add some checking to the text boxes so silly things like 938247 can't be entered.

Yeah, I did a little test of my own and it turns out that 99 is usable as a priority, so 127 should be, too...I set Bulbasaur's base speed stat to 0 just to make sure it'd always move last (at level 5 his speed stat was only at 4 lol) and didn't edit the Charmander, or priority of Scratch / Leer, and Tackle went first.

Just found it interesting, and thought it might help in the next update or whatever so you wouldn't have to test. Anyway, I figured I'd make a small suggestion for the next update as I'm on the subject. A simple search function, for the names? If it's not too hard to implement, and I don't think it is...but it's your tool, so, up to you but it'd be useful. x.x That way you don't have to scroll down the whole list to look for an attack.

Also, sometimes I forget to save after I edit, lol...so if you could have something that holds it in a variable (I'm not a programmer, so I might not know what I'm talking about here) until the program itself actually closes, then prompts you, or something; so that it saves all of the changes at once instead of each time you hit Save. Or, maybe just a simple save button in the actual Window, to remind you, so you don't have go up to File. Although, I'm not sure where you'd put it. O.o The layout is already perfect...

Anyway, the suggestions aren't really important, but they're small things that might make it help it be more useful and I know some programmers like feedback, so.

FinalZero

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
Yeah, I did a little test of my own and it turns out that 99 is usable as a priority, so 127 should be, too...I set Bulbasaur's base speed stat to 0 just to make sure it'd always move last (at level 5 his speed stat was only at 4 lol) and didn't edit the Charmander, or priority of Scratch / Leer, and Tackle went first.
Ah, ok. I'll let the next version enter the full range of numbers then.

Just found it interesting, and thought it might help in the next update or whatever so you wouldn't have to test. Anyway, I figured I'd make a small suggestion for the next update as I'm on the subject. A simple search function, for the names? If it's not too hard to implement, and I don't think it is...but it's your tool, so, up to you but it'd be useful. x.x That way you don't have to scroll down the whole list to look for an attack.
That's already included. Just start typing the desired name when you have a dropdown box chosen. The reason the effect box lets you put the cursor in the title is so you can scroll to the left and right to read the full description since they're so long, and I didn't want to stretch out the window just for that dropdown box.

Also, sometimes I forget to save after I edit, lol...so if you could have something that holds it in a variable (I'm not a programmer, so I might not know what I'm talking about here) until the program itself actually closes, then prompts you, or something; so that it saves all of the changes at once instead of each time you hit Save. Or, maybe just a simple save button in the actual Window, to remind you, so you don't have go up to File. Although, I'm not sure where you'd put it. O.o The layout is already perfect...
Maybe.

Pogeygothaxed

Years
That's already included. Just start typing the desired name when you have a dropdown box chosen. The reason the effect box lets you put the cursor in the title is so you can scroll to the left and right to read the full description since they're so long, and I didn't want to stretch out the window just for that dropdown box.

Ohno, I meant for the actual names of the attacks...such as Pound, Scratch, etc...x.x but thanks for letting me know about the effect search thing. X3 I was manually scrolling down that, too...:)

FinalZero

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
Ohno, I meant for the actual names of the attacks...such as Pound, Scratch, etc...x.x but thanks for letting me know about the effect search thing. X3 I was manually scrolling down that, too...:)
It does work for the name box. Just make sure the last thing that you clicked (determing which object on the form has focus) is that box. It won't work if the last thing you clicked was an edit box, for example.

Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2014
i've downloaded the required .dlls and put them in the system 32 folder and it is still telling me they aren't there.

FinalZero

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
*Sigh* Vista Vista Vista... I'll make new versions of the programs sometime later this week. For the time being, try putting the .dll's in the same folder as the program itself.

Ah, ok. I'll let the next version enter the full range of numbers then.
Heh, I'd completely forgotten about this. I'll be sure to do this too.

FinalZero

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
All my programs now have a new version that should work on Vista. Please tell me if it works!

http://jc.tech-galaxy.com/

Also, for the move editor, it now allows the full range of priorities to be used.

Midori

Deep Sea Tentacruel
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 19, 2010
If you are open to suggestions for your next update, you might want to add a "Sort by" function to your move editor tool.

Sort by Type
Sort by Power
Sort by Name
Sort by Effect
Sort by Priority

And enable the person to sort by multiple aspects at a time, like for example, all items sorted first by attack strength, and then by alphabetical order where attacks are equal.

Back