• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
Years
Syd, of all the people ever, you are my favorite.

Also, I realized that I've done over 7 monotypes in like a week. I think I need to slow down.

O_O Jeez dude! Slow your roll and take a breather why don'cha?

Btw, for those who have/are playing on B/W how long did it take you grind to get all your Pokemon to the 60-70 levels w/ out AR? I hate grinding forever. I have 1 more gym (Iris) and Plasma/N/E4. My team is currently as such:

lvl 42 Emboar/Jonghyun ♂
Modest and Likes to thrash about
Charcoal
Blaze
HP: 147 Atk: 116 Def: 66 Sp.Atk: 101 Sp.Def: 65 Spd: 77
Take Down; Arm Thrust; Nitro Charge; Rollout

lvl 38 Churine/Dara ♀
Jolly and Alert to sounds
Chlorophyll
HP: 84 Atk: 42 Def: 52 Sp.Atk: 60 Sp.Def: 49 Spd: 42
Growth; Energy Ball; Giga Drain; Sleep Powder

lvl 35 Munna/Gackt ♂
Rash and Often scatters things
Synchronize
HP: 109 Atk: 30 Def: 44 Sp.Atk: 60 Sp.Def: 42 Spd: 31
Zen Headbutt; Calm Mind; Nightmare; Hypnosis

lvl 37 Hitomoshi/Kairi ♀
Calm and Happily eats anything
Flame Body
HP: 90 Atk: 33 Def: 55 Sp.Atk: 55 Sp.Def: 58 Spd: 31
Will-o-wisp; Bursting Flame; Imprison; Evil Eye

lvl 37 Kenhorou/Popo ♀
Bold and Happily eats anything
Super Luck
118 79 80 61 47 80
Detect; Leer; Air Slash; Fly

lvl 35 Baniricchi/JiJi ♂
Modest and Proud of it's power
Exp. Share
Ice Body
82 59 55 67 63 54
Icy Wind; Acid Armor; Ice Beam; Mirror Shot

Yeah... As you can imagine, the dragon gym is going to wipe the floor with me (did manage to get through 2 lackeys with difficulty since JiJi can't get a hit in before dying). People say Brown is hard? I'd argue B/W is harder with Pokemon that take nearly 70 levels to evolve and in the mean time, have craptastic stats and/or movepools and 2/25 chance of getting proper natures that are completely random at capture.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
O_O Jeez dude! Slow your roll and take a breather why don'cha?

Btw, for those who have/are playing on B/W how long did it take you grind to get all your Pokemon to the 60-70 levels w/ out AR? I hate grinding forever. I have 1 more gym (Iris) and Plasma/N/E4. My team is currently as such:

lvl 42 Emboar/Jonghyun ♂
Modest and Likes to thrash about
Charcoal
Blaze
HP: 147 Atk: 116 Def: 66 Sp.Atk: 101 Sp.Def: 65 Spd: 77
Take Down; Arm Thrust; Nitro Charge; Rollout

lvl 38 Churine/Dara ♀
Jolly and Alert to sounds
Chlorophyll
HP: 84 Atk: 42 Def: 52 Sp.Atk: 60 Sp.Def: 49 Spd: 42
Growth; Energy Ball; Giga Drain; Sleep Powder

lvl 35 Munna/Gackt ♂
Rash and Often scatters things
Synchronize
HP: 109 Atk: 30 Def: 44 Sp.Atk: 60 Sp.Def: 42 Spd: 31
Zen Headbutt; Calm Mind; Nightmare; Hypnosis

lvl 37 Hitomoshi/Kairi ♀
Calm and Happily eats anything
Flame Body
HP: 90 Atk: 33 Def: 55 Sp.Atk: 55 Sp.Def: 58 Spd: 31
Will-o-wisp; Bursting Flame; Imprison; Evil Eye

lvl 37 Kenhorou/Popo ♀
Bold and Happily eats anything
Super Luck
118 79 80 61 47 80
Detect; Leer; Air Slash; Fly

lvl 35 Baniricchi/JiJi ♂
Modest and Proud of it's power
Exp. Share
Ice Body
82 59 55 67 63 54
Icy Wind; Acid Armor; Ice Beam; Mirror Shot

Yeah... As you can imagine, the dragon gym is going to wipe the floor with me (did manage to get through 2 lackeys with difficulty since JiJi can't get a hit in before dying). People say Brown is hard? I'd argue B/W is harder with Pokemon that take nearly 70 levels to evolve and in the mean time, have craptastic stats and/or movepools and 2/25 chance of getting proper natures that are completely random at capture.

The whole grinding thing won't be too terribly hard, as I heard that they take the level difference of Pokemon into effect now. So if you're underleveled, you'll gain more experience faster than if you were overleveled

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Okay, so I finished my ultimate Normal monotype! now I only have 3 active challenges, with 2 of em kind of on hold. I'm not really looking forward to grinding through Kanto again on my Dexter's challenge.

I'm thinking about another monotype - those are always fun and never get old, as long as the second game is on GSC rather than HGSS, im tired of no$gba right now :D. Any recommendations (not water, flying, normal, please)?

So I am deciding between fighting, ground, electric and Ice, maybe poison...leaning towards fighting, though there isn't much variety in the first two gens. what do you guys think? any other types you recommend?

by the way, I did a ruby ground monotype, but would I have to play Hoenn again if I did ground, since it's not in order?

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
So I am deciding between fighting, ground, electric and Ice, maybe poison...leaning towards fighting, though there isn't much variety in the first two gens. what do you guys think? any other types you recommend?

by the way, I did a ruby ground monotype, but would I have to play Hoenn again if I did ground, since it's not in order?
Ugh, not Electric. Trust me, Brock with only Pikachu and then Rock Tunnel sucks. I think Ground is probably the easiest, what with Nidoking in gen 1 and all. Fighting is awful in gen 2 because of Red's Espeon and Charizard. I used Primeape/Poliwrath for Gen 1 and Primeape/Machoke for Gen 2, so I know what you're saying about no variation. I'd probably go for Poison or Ground. Poison is a lot better than you would think.

Also, if you want to do Ground, you can do Kanto, then do Johto, then instead of doing Hoenn you can either PM Alakazam saying that you've already done Hoenn, or you could just find your update and repost that. I mean, I'm looking at the Monotype thread right now, and I see your name for Ground Hoenn Champions, so if I were Zam, that would be enough for me. But yeah, I'd do either Ground or Poison. I'm doing poison in Ruby right now, just got to Mauville, and so far the only sucky thing has been training Zubat til he learned Bite and was useful.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
About that BW grinding...I wasn't smacking level 60-70 til post game. You won't need it for main game...highest level for that is like...well, nothing past 60. Nothing at 60, even. Around the lines of 54 or 55 from what I remember. Post game trainers aren't too bad either, since most have a bunch of little Pokemon. Like...I swear I fought a Caterpie or something. v_v

But I mean, I can get a team to level 70 in average of one week (well, I mean, I get bored and take days off from it sometimes, lol) so it's not too terrible.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years
anyone miss me?

Yeah, I've been absent due to high school preparation stuff, as well as being very tired and working hard on projects. I have a three day weekend, so expect a challenge or two to be done. :D
Heh, I might even post those two challenges I talked about last month or so, if I remember.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
I think I remember going through Pearl with a Ground monotype. I just think ground is the easiest type to run through a game with since it's sucha versatile type and has different typing with pretty much everything. I wouldn't mind running through a game using either Steel or Bug or something. That could be uber cool. ;D

SyngthaSuyeon

Years
anyone miss me?

Yeah, I've been absent due to high school preparation stuff, as well as being very tired and working hard on projects. I have a three day weekend, so expect a challenge or two to be done. :D
Heh, I might even post those two challenges I talked about last month or so, if I remember.

Good luck with high school prep Inferno. BTW, You can put me in the completion list for the Lyrics Challenge on White. I just beat Geechisu, N, and the E4. Now I'm just watching the main game end.

About that BW grinding...I wasn't smacking level 60-70 til post game. You won't need it for main game...highest level for that is like...well, nothing past 60. Nothing at 60, even. Around the lines of 54 or 55 from what I remember. Post game trainers aren't too bad either, since most have a bunch of little Pokemon. Like...I swear I fought a Caterpie or something. v_v

But I mean, I can get a team to level 70 in average of one week (well, I mean, I get bored and take days off from it sometimes, lol) so it's not too terrible.

You're right, just beat the main storyline with all my Pokemon in the 40's (Jonghyun the Embuo and Zekrom 50... 5(?) and 50 respectively). Caterpie *Misty scream* Soooo scary! Oh, wait.

Lovelie: Jonghyun, Flamethrower!
It's super effective. The foe Caterpie has fainted.

Last edited:

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
Caterpie is lulzy for me. I was playing Pokemon Stadium with a friend once and we came up to Brock, or at least one of his trainers, who just happens to be a Bug Catcher. He had sent out Caterpie and my friend had a Hitmonchan, and Caterpie fared really wekk against Hitmonchan. So well, that it nearly defeated Hitmonchan. XD;

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Myrrh is sad. He got his laptop back (that was halfway through a Silver Nuzlocke Run) and forgot that he had a challenge there, so he started the game over for the Grass Mono.

SyngthaSuyeon

Years
Myrrh is sad. He got his laptop back (that was halfway through a Silver Nuzlocke Run) and forgot that he had a challenge there, so he started the game over for the Grass Mono.

*pats head* Poor Myrr... Why not just have multiple rom copies and name them differently? Like one can be PSSGrass and the other can be PSS[insert challenge name].

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I thought about doing that for my monotypes. I was going to make 17 different ROM/emulator packages for each generation, so I could save my teams. But alas, I didn't, and things like this happened. Oh well.

Enigma

Years
I think I just thought of two challenges.

1st is the Offensive/Defensive Swap challenge (will probably make the name shorter if I can think of something) This is simple to figure out, but can be difficult. You pick as many Pokemon as you want to have in your party, as usual. But say you pick an offensive oriented Pokemon, like Primeape, as one of your pokemon. You then have to make the Pokemon a more like a defensive Pokemon.
Vice versa with defensive oriented pokemon, like Chansey. Make it an offensive pokemon.

2nd is also a simple challenge; a Trade challenge. Basically, just trade with a random person (whom will be picked for you and is also taking the challenge) at certain specified points of a game. However, you don't get to pick which pokemon to trade either; a random party slot will be assigned to you and your random trade partner, and you guys just trade. Other then that, play normally.
Of course, I'm probably going to need some guidelines on that, because it would be terrible for someone on their 7th badge to be traded a pokemon from someone on their 1st badge.

So yeah...going to go ahead and post these challenges today. I think on the Trade Challenge, I may only have people whom are at/near the same badge trade. I'm not sure yet, so if anyone wants to throw around some ideas on how exactly that trading system should be done, I'm open to opinions.

SyngthaSuyeon

Years

So yeah...going to go ahead and post these challenges today. I think on the Trade Challenge, I may only have people whom are at/near the same badge trade. I'm not sure yet, so if anyone wants to throw around some ideas on how exactly that trading system should be done, I'm open to opinions.

I made a trade challenge similar to this where you just make all of the Pokemon you obtain be traded. Wouldn't this challenge exclude people that don't have a DS and have to use emulators? I know with Visual Boy, you can trade with yourself on GB/GBC/GBA, but what about DS? Plus, how would that work if you have to trade randomly unless everyone just uses Pokesav, make a AR code without revealing the Pokemon, and Pm each other? :S

Enigma

Years
I made a trade challenge similar to this where you just make all of the Pokemon you obtain be traded. Wouldn't this challenge exclude people that don't have a DS and have to use emulators? I know with Visual Boy, you can trade with yourself on GB/GBC/GBA, but what about DS? Plus, how would that work if you have to trade randomly unless everyone just uses Pokesav, make a AR code without revealing the Pokemon, and Pm each other? :S
It's kind of meant to be DS-exclusive, since more people will probably be using B/W soon. As for the random trading, all that happens is that I select two people, and they just trade pokemon in a specific slot.
This is why I asked for feedback, so people wouldn't be too confused about everything. :P

SyngthaSuyeon

Years

It's kind of meant to be DS-exclusive, since more people will probably be using B/W soon. As for the random trading, all that happens is that I select two people, and they just trade pokemon in a specific slot.
This is why I asked for feedback, so people wouldn't be too confused about everything. :P

Guess that leaves me out then. *shrug*
Never bought a DS and as long as they stay at $169 and the games cost $50+, I probably never will. I have to rely on emulation unless desmume or someone else perfects the internet wifi portion (won't hold my breath tho.).

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Who should I use for my fighting monotype on Sapphire? I've got Blaziken, Hariyama, Breloom, Machamp, Heracross or Medicham. Team of 3-4 I think is best.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Who should I use for my fighting monotype on Sapphire? I've got Blaziken, Hariyama, Breloom, Machamp, Heracross or Medicham. Team of 3-4 I think is best.
I'd probably do Blaziken, Breloom, Heracross. Blaziken can completely destroy everyone with Blaze Kick/Aerial Ace/Sky Uppercut/Slash, Breloom I remember being a beast the like one time I used him, and Heracross can give you a nice counter to Psychics.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
I'd probably do Blaziken, Breloom, Heracross. Blaziken can completely destroy everyone with Blaze Kick/Aerial Ace/Sky Uppercut/Slash, Breloom I remember being a beast the like one time I used him, and Heracross can give you a nice counter to Psychics.
Well, Blaziken prolly won't get high enough to learn Sky Uppercut, so it would be Brick Break, and Return instead of Slash. I was thinking about psychics, and Heracross or Medicham would be the member for that role. Pity that neither is available until Lilycove City, although that isn't much of a downside, considering Breloom's massive experience need.

Edit: I actually decided to go with Blaziken, Breloom, and Hariyama for now, since Makuhita is an in-game trade, which is always something I try to utilize. I may end up adding Medicham or Heracross later down the road if only to counter Metagross, although I should have that much of a problem with him if I'm sufficiently leveled up. Pickup Rare Candies helps a lot lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back