• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Doctors pull two inch feather from infant's neck

Years
here's a nice helping of gross for your weekend enjoyment:

Mya Whittington has been a real angel during her stay this week at Hutchinson Regional Medical Center, said her mother, Emma.

Still, her young parents and doctors were quite surprised when the underlying cause of the nearly 7-month-old's distress was plucked from her neck on Monday.

Aaron and Emma Whittington first took their daughter to the hospital Saturday after an area below her jaw swelled up.

"They thought it was a swollen gland," Aaron Whittington said.

The hospital administered an antibiotic and sent the family home.

'Pimple' grows larger than a golf ball Mya's grandmother took her back to the hospital after a "pimple" appeared on the swollen area, which had now grown to the size of about 1 1/2 golf balls, Aaron Whittington said.

"She looked like Quasimodo," her father said.

The physician suspected a staph infection on her lymph nodes.

A doctor broke the pimple to try to drain it and drew marks on her face to measure whether the swelling increased. The intravenous antibiotics were continued.

On Monday, the doctor on rounds scraped off a scab that formed. After the doctor left, the Whittingtons noted what appeared to be a string or stick emerging from the spot. They left it alone, since the doctor hadn't done anything to it, Aaron said.

When Mya's pediatrician visited later that evening, however, she asked what it was. She then put on a pair of gloves and plucked a 2-inch-long black feather from the swollen area of the child's neck.

They suspect, Whittington said, that the baby swallowed or inhaled the feather, which apparently pierced the inside of her cheek or throat and then, over time, her body forced it out the other way.

The Whittingtons had a down pillow on their bed, but Mya wasn't normally on it, and it's been in the couple's laundry room for months, Emma Whittington said.

It's headed for the trash.

"She's been pulling on the left side of her face for a couple of months," Emma said, but she suspected it was teething or an ear infection.

In her 20 years on the pediatric floor at the hospital, RN Sandra Mathis has never seen the like, though she recalls a child coming in once with hairbrush bristles stuck in its tonsils that had to be removed, from chewing on a brush.

The Whittingtons' doctor indicated the swelling had to be causing an immense amount of pain, Emma said, but Mya cried mostly only when nurses have poked her.

Her ordeal isn't over yet, however. The swollen area has a hard knot in it about 4 centimeters in size. If the knot doesn't break up on its own, Mya is headed for surgery in Wichita to remove it.

Source

Thoughts? EWW GROSS

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
I never seen a case like this, except 1 year ago I heard of a plant growing inside of a man's lungs once it went to the wrong area. But I hope that baby will be all right later on.

Squidchan

The Lady Cthulhu
Years
Stories like that kind of scare me. It's amazing the kinds of trouble babies get into. Of you'll excuse me, I have to go check on my baby now. :/

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Wow, I wonder how in the world stuff like this can happen 0_o. Poor baby. Hopefully she'll be alright and there wont be any complications or anything. Very strange.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Well those were nice mental images. Especially when I'm eating breakfast. (;

I'm glad she's okay, at least. Perhaps her parents will be watching her more closely now.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
After I read the title I imagined a bunch of feathers piercing my neck. Many nervous tics were had.

I'm kinda more concerned that this child had something so large in their throat and no one knew for months. O_o Having a feather tickling your throat for months would seem like hell, lol. Just like hiccups, ugh.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I hate how my brain works. Just reading that, the mental image shows up without trying and makes me want to vomit. At least they got it out though! I hope nothing bad happens as a side effect of this.

Wouldn't that be interesting to tell in the future though? "Well sweetie, doctors had to pull a feather out of your neck when you were a baby!" ".......what ;-;"

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
While I really hope the baby turns out okay, I just...lost my appetite.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
For some reason I thought infant meant newborn, which made me think the child was born with a feather in her neck. That would've been even more disturbing than this already is. I can't imagine how much this hurts though. :/

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
It'd be so cool if this baby turns out to be heavily freckled. Then it'd be proof freckles are really angel kisses.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
This is a rather disturbing article to read when you're imagining the detail, which is worse for me, because whenever I imagine something like this, I feel the pain. If I imagine the infant with a feather being plucked on my neck, I feel it on my neck as well.

Back