• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Probably a dumb question, but did you make sure Sucker Punch is an egg move for Houndour in DP? I know some games vary with the egg moves.

Years
Probably a dumb question, but did you make sure Sucker Punch is an egg move for Houndour in DP? I know some games vary with the egg moves.

Sucker Punch can only be bred onto Houndour in the 5th Generation games. Just confirming this.

I do know that 4th Generation has differences with available egg moves between games, an example being Head Smash bred onto the Nidoran♂ line in HG/SS but not D/P/Pt. You can always check Bulbapedia or Serebii (and similar online Pokedexes) to see what moves they can learn through breeding.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017

Not reaaally sure, but i'll try to help you.

Yes, Sucker Punch is an egg move for Houndour in DP I think, he can learn Sucker Punch by breeding it.

EDIT: Just browsed to make sure, here is something I found on a source:

To teach Houndour, Sucker Punch, you'll need to breed it with any Pokemon in the Field group.

So yeah, Houndour can learn Sucker Punch as an egg move.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Not reaaally sure, but i'll try to help you.

I wasn't asking the question, lmao. But as this is the 4th Gen Help Thread, upon further inspection, as Hikari already pointed out, Sucker Punch is not an egg move for Houndour until gen V. So RNC isn't going to be able to breed it on in this gen.

PrimalDialgasaur

Primal Sauropod
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 2, 2014
Ok, I'm at the Elite Four, and I'm in a bit of a pickle. The problem is I can never get close to winning. The closest I got was beating Lance's Aerodactyl and Gyarados, but failing at his first Dragonite. (If you haven't realized which game, it's SS) my team as of now:

Gyarados: lvl 40

Waterfall
Thunder
Blizzard
Surf

Ninetales: lvl 39

Flamethrower
Payback
Confuse Ray
Fire Blast

Mamoswine: lvl 39

Earthquake
Blizzard
Strength
Light Screen

Meganium: lvl 40

Petal Dance
Frenzy Plant
Light Screen
PoisonPowder

Pidgeot: lvl 40

Quick Attack
Wing Attack
Fly
Agility

Lugia: lvl 47

Extrasensory
Aeroblast
Rain Dance
Thunder

Any suggestions/good training grounds/battle strategies?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I can still be of some help! Looking at your Pokemon, movesets and levels I'd say they should do perfectly well against Lance. I think it's just that we need to focus on strategy, some of your moves are risky but they pack a powerful punch. So you managed to get past Gyarados yes? All you should of done is a quick Thunder and then bam Gyarados is down. So I guess the problem here is the Dragonites. Let's take a look at weaknesses. Dragonite has two 4x weaknesses. Ice and Rock.

Blizzard is by far the most powerful ice-move in Gen IV, but the 70% accuracy would be hard to work with. However if you manage to hit with Blizzard, I'm sure it'll at least take a huge chunk out of its HP. And I guess if you forget to heal while you're battling, it's also rather difficult so remember to heal often when your Pokemon reach in the low yellow zone or you know the next move is going to KO you if you don't do something.

Other than that I'd say good training areas before the E4, is probably only Victory Road. There are no trainers blocking your path so you can train to your heart's content. It takes a while but it's worth it. However you can also do this if you don't mind losing money, just keep beating the E4 and then lose to one of them so you can start again, over and over. However if you lose on the last E4 purposely, you'll still have money from the other three, if you know what I mean. But yeah I hope this helped. n__n

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
PrimalDialgasaur, just for future reference, I'd suggest using the In-Game Team Help section to post requests for help such as yours. If you've got an incomplete team you'd like to get feedback on, here is the best place to post it.

Thanks!

PrimalDialgasaur

Primal Sauropod
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 2, 2014
PrimalDialgasaur, just for future reference, I'd suggest using the In-Game Team Help section to post requests for help such as yours. If you've got an incomplete team you'd like to get feedback on, here is the best place to post it.

Thanks!

I wasn't asking for team help, I was listing my team for reference so they now who I have. I was asking for suggestions like who to use against the Elite Four, who I need to level up, etc. I put this in the help thread because I need help getting past the Champion and Elite Four, not building a team.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I wasn't asking for team help, I was listing my team for reference so they now who I have. I was asking for suggestions like who to use against the Elite Four, who I need to level up, etc. I put this in the help thread because I need help getting past the Champion and Elite Four, not building a team.

That's still considered team help, which they will help you with in the forum that Curious linked you to. Anything that involves helping adjust a team, whether it be party members, movesets, or who to use for the E4, it belongs in in-game team help. :)

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
I'm somewhere southeast of Stark Mountain in the Platinum game (just beyond the Rt.226/228 exit, several bike bridges, and a trainer duo). Does anyone else know how to reach the berry patch in the screenshot I've included? Please help it you can!

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
I'm somewhere southeast of Stark Mountain in the Platinum game (just beyond the Rt.226/228 exit, several bike bridges, and a trainer duo). Does anyone else know how to reach the berry patch in the screenshot I've included? Please help it you can!

You have to use your bicycle to get up there.

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
That much I could figure out from the log bridges; but my bike rolls back down every time I try to take one of the ramps uphill. Am I using the wrong gear, or doing something else wrong I don't know about? (I'm playing on an emulator instead of a console, so pressing two keys at once is a bit harder...)

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
That much I could figure out from the log bridges; but my bike rolls back down every time I try to take one of the ramps uphill. Am I using the wrong gear, or doing something else wrong I don't know about? (I'm playing on an emulator instead of a console, so pressing two keys at once is a bit harder...)

You have to be in the faster gear and get a run up.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Quick question involving the GTS.

I tried to clone a Ponyta yesterday using the GTS. It seemingly worked- but when I checked the summary (to get the clone), it was messed up. Instead of explaining, I'll just post a picture:
(Kind of large. Sorry.)
Spoiler:

The original was English and shiny. I still have the original one, so I'm not worried about that. But now when I try to get into the GTS to get that Ponyta, there is a communication error (sometimes showing up once I'm connected)...or they just disconnect me while I'm trying to get in. (It loads like it's connecting, but the message says "You have been disconnected..."

Any ideas as to what's going on and how I can fix it? I don't have an AR for cloning, so this is my only option, unless I try on another game.

Edit:
@RNC
(I don't want to fill the thread up by posting more)
I'm pretty sure the cloning thread is solely for offering services and finding people to clone for you, isn't it? Unless that's what you mean. I might have to do that, if I can't fix this.

Last edited:

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
Quick question involving the GTS.

I tried to clone a Ponyta yesterday using the GTS. It seemingly worked- but when I checked the summary (to get the clone), it was messed up. Instead of explaining, I'll just post a picture:
(Kind of large. Sorry.)
Spoiler:

The original was English and shiny. I still have the original one, so I'm not worried about that. But now when I try to get into the GTS to get that Ponyta, there is a communication error (sometimes showing up once I'm connected)...or they just disconnect me while I'm trying to get in. (It loads like it's connecting, but the message says "You have been disconnected..."

Any ideas as to what's going on and how I can fix it? I don't have an AR for cloning, so this is my only option, unless I try on another game.

I used to GTS clone but it's been a long time, but I have never seen that before, why didn't you just ask for help in the cloning thread?

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
(I don't want to fill the thread up by posting more)
I'm pretty sure the cloning thread is solely for offering services and finding people to clone for you, isn't it? Unless that's what you mean. I might have to do that, if I can't fix this.

Don't worry about filling up the thread, we delete finished requests. Besides, we like helping people :D Come by and post.

As for the GTS, cloning on it can be very finicky and if done incorrectly strange things can happen, however I've seen this before either. If you must continue using the GTS to clone, try practicing with a random filler Pokemon first.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
Don't worry about filling up the thread, we delete finished requests. Besides, we like helping people :D Come by and post.

As for the GTS, cloning on it can be very finicky and if done incorrectly strange things can happen, however I've seen this before either. If you must continue using the GTS to clone, try practicing with a random filler Pokemon first.

The GTS cloning is very hard, it took me many times when I was using it to get it figured out, that's why I use an AR now.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
(I meant filling up this thread- I hadn't even thought to ask for help on the cloning thread.)

I did practice before with one I didn't care about as much. I still am not very good at cloning, but I'm capable of it. I just was wondering if anyone knows why that happened.

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
Now that I've become Sinnoh League Champion and beaten Team Galactic for good, I'm trying to complete the Darkrai/Cresselia quests in Pokémon Platinum. Unfortunately, with no wi-fi access, I'm having trouble getting legitimate key items to open the Old Harbor Inn. What should I do, short of starting a new game from square one?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Now that I've become Sinnoh League Champion and beaten Team Galactic for good, I'm trying to complete the Darkrai/Cresselia quests in Pokémon Platinum. Unfortunately, with no wi-fi access, I'm having trouble getting legitimate key items to open the Old Harbor Inn. What should I do, short of starting a new game from square one?

Really, there's no need for getting Darkrai to complete the Sinnoh Dex, as it's not one of the Pokémon needed to do so. The Member Card event was over a long time ago, so tough luck.

Post in the Quick Trade Thread if you want a Darkrai that badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back