• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Programming!

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
Personally; HTML, Javascript and CSS.
also know as: websites.

I did an IT/tech course at university, and the main bit I enjoyed was the websites. we did other coding too, C++, visual basic namely, but I didn't stick with those and i've never used them properly.

Yeah, I stuck with the easy ones in comparison.

Years
I have tried VB.NET and failed tremendously at it.

Also, I can code in PHP and I have made a full-fledged web application with PHP as well.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Yeah, one of the reasons I've always been kind of wary of PHP is I've heard it doesn't have a whole lot of concrete design principles or syntax and there are so many ways to do one thing that it just sounds a bit bloated. But mostly it was this blog post that scared me off. :P

I program mainly in Scheme/Racket/whatever-they're-calling-it-these-days or C. Not that I do a whole lot of programming outside of schoolwork and the like, but those are the two I'm most comfortable with.

The two languages I want to dabble in next when I'm not too busy/lazy are Python and Ruby. The former sounds really useful and the latter sounds like fun!

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
My favorite personally is Python. I've used it to do so much stuff it's unbelievable. Like operating a Wi-Fi router differently or controlling an on-board programming chip installed to a robotic interface.

I also use Java, Ruby, HTML, CSS, and hex coding.

If I had to pick a second favorite, it'd be Ruby. It's so flexible and can be used without much strain on resources. At least, in my experience.

droomph

weeb
Years
I have trieeeeeeeeed

I know about 50% of HTML and CSS, not a lot of Javascript, and a teensy bit of php…

I tried doing C and those other wacky "proper" programmings, but I find that a limited-set assembly like ARM (ie most likely nothing) is easiest for me, though I can't actually do anything productive with anything I know.

ffff

SLITCX

Spontaneous Water Lover
Years
I've only learned Python and I really like the simplicity of the language.

I am going to learn C and C++ next quarter at my college, so... hopefully that goes well.

SLITCX

Spontaneous Water Lover
Years
I recently learned C#, and in the next semester, I'll be learning C, I think, to program a robot in Robotics 30.

As for C#, I just finished the bare bones for an Imgur album downloader. I have it downloading images, but I plan to add a few additional features to it before I declare it "finished."

Ooh, nice. An imgur album downloader. That actually sounds like a neat product that could transition into something else major later one. :o

Piplup - Hacker

Scripter
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 2, 2014
I have learned C++ for the most part and I am now I'm reading a huge book on ASM. No problems with either so far. They are pretty useful c:
I also know CSS and html but they just aren't the same .-.

Sir Codin

I learned a fair bit of C++ this semester. I can also program charts and graphs in R once again if I spend a weekend or two reviewing.

I've tried a little bit of Python, but I stopped for some reason. Don't remember why.

To be honest, I don't think I'm all that good at it. I passed the C++ course with a B- and I bombed on two tests. But since I have guides and I was given Visual Studio 2010 for free, I might as well practice and learn new languages in my spare time and just make random stuff.

Last edited:

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
I'm in the process of learning Objective C, as it comes in handy for a hobby of mine that I don't think can be discussed here and I think I'm doing okay. Also interested in learning python, but am completely lost - if anyone has any good books/websites/tips/anything they can recommend, please let me know!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I've recently become proficient in Javascript, Hex, and CSS. I know a bit of HTML, and willing to learn more about it. Last semester's intro to programming class mainly focused on Javascript, Visual Basic, and a teeeny bit of python (which I cannot grasp at this very moment).

I want to take C++ but it's only available in the evenings Spring Semester. This is the Spring Semester and I am a morning student, so that'll wait till next year I guess lol.

Years
I have been programming for about 3 years now! I first started off with VB.NET, a great language for beginners as it has a user-friendly GUI. I also tried HTML, CSS and xHTML. These languages were not for me and I did not enjoy them at all, although I can write with them efficiently, I'd prefer not to have to if I could help it.
I then moved on to Ruby, Python and Java. These 3 are my favourite languages (out of the ones I have learnt so far) I've also looked at Hex, but only briefly.
I haven't looked at any C languages, but I have been meaning to a lot, I have many real life friends who also do coding/programming.

For people who haven't done programming before, I'd say start off with VB.NET or C#, then move onto HTML. From there move on to something like Java, then go on to anything else.
Once you learn the basic principles of programming, you're able to help other people with their issues without and knowledge of the language (or so I find).

Learning programming is definitely worth it! For people who are looking to learn it, go to YouTube and search some videos. My personal favourites are:
DerekBanas
and
thenewboston

These two people taught me many languages, and will hopefully do the same to you guys!

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Yeah, one of the reasons I've always been kind of wary of PHP is I've heard it doesn't have a whole lot of concrete design principles or syntax and there are so many ways to do one thing that it just sounds a bit bloated. But mostly it was this blog post that scared me off. :P

I program mainly in Scheme/Racket/whatever-they're-calling-it-these-days or C. Not that I do a whole lot of programming outside of schoolwork and the like, but those are the two I'm most comfortable with.

The two languages I want to dabble in next when I'm not too busy/lazy are Python and Ruby. The former sounds really useful and the latter sounds like fun!
That blog post also convinced me not to touch PHP. I also like how his favicon is an Eevee with sunglasses, heh.

My strongest language is C, followed by Python. I'm familiar with a lot of languages, though. I wish novice programmers would stop grouping C and C++ together like they're one language; they're not, and I refuse to touch anything C++ unless I absolutely have to.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Yeah, I'm currently going to Oregon Tech to get a degree in Software Engineering. (I also went to Digipen for a semester, but had to transfer for various reasons.) I've just started, and things are moving painfully slow, considering I already have a reasonable amount of programming experience under my belt... so I've started learning Lua and Love2D. I'm currently studying classes (Lua doesn't actually have any... so things get a bit funky.) and networking. I've signed up for Game A Month (http://onegameamonth.com/) and I don't think I'll have any trouble sticking to it... granted, my games are certainly much smaller and crappier than they're probably intending, but I thought it'd be a good way to motivate me to learn, and actually finish my projects.

As for other languages... I believe our main language will be C++ at school, and I took a class on C at Digipen. I'm also thinking about learning C# to use with Unity, and I've also gone through tutorials on practically ever other language in existence, though I don't really remember anything about any of them, lol. Also, web design is absolutely evil, and I hate it with every fiber of my being. Never again.

Last edited:

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
I'm self learning to program using VB.NET since the lesson at school is slow and so that the lessons will be easier for me... :3

But next year I'll probably try to program using Java...

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
For introductory I had to take logic, and had to implement what I learned in C++. I get two major choices of Java and C++, but I have to go with Java first because it accommodates with the rest of my schedule much better.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I started ROM hacking in 2006, and taught myself assembly in about a year. Around the same time I got into web programming and SQL, then did a lot of C. In college I moved back down to different assembly languages and VHDL, a language for designing digital circuits like microprocessors. I've also done a lot of embedded systems, including robotics, cameras, and microcontroller/FPGA boards.

These days I mostly work in the VHDL → assembly → C range, whether through work or through school. My "other" hobby (i.e., not ROM hacking) is open source UNIX development, and that touches a wide variety of large‐ and small‐scale C (or higher level language) projects, along with relevant infrastructure/software design principles—version control, unit testing, automation, build systems, and countless other things.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Even if some people say i'm too young for it, i am currently learning C language via a french site called siteduzero.com. I absolutely like programming and that's what i'll be learning when i'm older. I want to make a video game programmer career. Any tips?

Back