• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Easiest possible way to insert music and loop!

Omega Zero

Is back...
Years

Hello... ever wondered how hard it was to loop music, or insert it? And how sometimes Sappy won't let you assemble that ugly thing? I am here to make your life easier... Let's get started! The tools you need are:

AnvilStudio - Link
Sappy 2005 http://www.mediafire.com/?lyi1nj2coqt
Mid2agb
Notepad
HackMew's thumb.bat Link
HackMew's Free Space Finder (optional)

Part 1: Separating the tracks
1. Open up your midi file that you would like to insert with AnvilStudio

2. You will see all your tracks. Delete every single one EXCEPT the first one. Then do Save Song, and save it as track1.

3. Repeat step 2, except this time delete every single track except the second one. Keep doing this for every track, until you have all tracks saved as separate files, named track1, track2, track3, etc..

4. Drag thumb.bat into the same folder as Mid2Agb or vice versa.

5. Drag the tracks you saved with AnvilStudio into the same folder that Mid2Agb and thumb.bat are located. Convert them all into .s files by dragging each track on the mid2agb file.

Part 2: Looping
1. Open up Notepad. Make sure you enable "All Files". Then open up your track1.s file. You should see something similar to this.

2. Right under where it says "@ 000 -------------", put this:
"Name of the .s file"_1_loop:

3. Now scroll down, and near the bottom you should see: .byte FINE. Before that, put:
.byte GOTO
.word "Name of the .s file"_1_loop
.byte W06

4. Congratulations, you just looped your first track. Now repeat the whole procedure for EVERY .s file you have.

Part 3: Inserting
1. Now press Start, Run, and then type in cmd. If you're using Vista or Windows 7, just press Start and type in cmd.

2. Now copy the name of your folder where your .s files are located. If you're using Vista or Windows 7, you have to click on the top first, and then the directory will appear.

3.Now back to cmd, type in CD. Press space. Then press paste. Then type in:
thumb.bat "Name of the .s file".s "Name of the .s file".bin

(make sure you have a space between thumb.bat and sfile.bin)

4. Do this for all of your .s files.

5. Now open up Sappy, and select the song you want to replace. Click import, and import all of your .bin files.

6. Congratulations, you just looped and inserted music!

Other notes:
*When you're editing your .s files, the line where you put "Name of the .s file"_1_loop: determines where the song loops. If you want it to loop at a specific spot, put it under a different measure number (001, 002, 003).

*After you import the .bin files, Sappy might crash if you try to play it. If it crashes again after opening it, then use the Free Space Finder to find a new offset to place your first track in.

*If your music sounds crappy, then find a voicegroup from a song that sounds similar. If you can't do that, then export your tracks, and then open them with a hex editor. Right after the BD byte is the instrument that it plays. Edit the byte after BD to change the instrument.
Credits
Magnius for the list
Full metal for teaching me an easier way how to insert music
Clone25 for the looping tutorial
Full metal for the Css again :p
Chaos rush for simplicating this tutorial :)

kawa for making sappy 2005
Linkandzelda for giving megiddo sappy 2005 then he gave me sappy 2005 xD

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
OH MY GOSH, THIS ACTUALLY WORKS.

Thank you. So. Much. And I'm using Windows 7, too.

Anyways, I noticed that it loops straight from the beginning. How do you choose where it loops from?

Last edited by a moderator:

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
simple; loop to a different spot (if you don't know how to do this read clonex's tut on music looping [which is completely compatible with this]) and apply that to each .s file before you assemble it with thumb.bat

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
simple; loop to a different spot (if you don't know how to do this read clonex's tut on music looping [which is completely compatible with this]) and apply that to each .s file before you assemble it with thumb.bat
And what if it loops in the middle of a measure, rather than the start? (Such as Oak's Lab's theme)

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out that it all depends on where you put trackname_1_loop:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023

YAAAAAAAAAAY! glad to see someone likes this tutorial :)
However, your grammar and punctuation was horrible that your directions are really unclear, and it took me FOREVER to finally get it right. May I re-type your tutorial?

(Also the voicegroup list you posted is only for Pokemon Ruby.)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I made a typo in part 3, step 3. Change this:
3. Now back to cmd, type in CD. Press space. Then press paste. Then type in:
thumb.bat "Name of the .s file".bin

Into this:
3. Now back to cmd, type in CD. Press space. Then press paste. Then type in:
thumb.bat "Name of the .s file".s "Name of the .s file".bin

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
This could be very useful to me when I get around to inserting music in Legend of Lucario.
Thanks.

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2011
can you give us a download link for HackMew's thumb.bat?
i'll find it in the link not =(

ipatix

Sound Expert
Years
@smashking
I uploadede it for you:
hxxp://rapidshare.com/files/426538303/thumb.bat
Replace the xx with tt

I have one question:
Everything works fine until importing the .bin files into the rom using sappy.
When I try to import the tracks sappy crashes and the rom hasn't changed.
What am I doing wrong?

I'm sorry for my bad English

ipatix

Sound Expert
Years
I've a problem...
Usually this method works fine for me, but I tried to insert a song but when I import the assembled tracks I can listen to the song in sappy but in the game there is silence.

What happend?

timson733333

Woah.
Years
Ok, the tutorial worked up until Step 3...

When I typed in CD [location of the .s files] thumb.bat track1.s track1.bin, it says "The system cannot find the path specified." Also, when I open up Sappy, it says that it can't find the song table and it only displays one song called "Main" which plays a strange melody for about one second. When I try to insert music, it crashes. What is causing all this?

ipatix

Sound Expert
Years
@team fail
well, I made a custom voicegroup, but it didn't work with any existing voicegroup either.

edit: problem fixed...

My offset of my voicegroup didn't begin with a 0, 4, 8 or C...

Last edited:
Back