• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
a few used to really scare me.

golbat
Rhyhorn/don
Seaking
Kabuto
exeggutor
machamp
Mewtwo

Dragonite looks like he's had craniosurgery that went wrong.

*~Frost Umbreon~*

TURN OFF YOUR ORPHANS.
Years
Spr_1g_006.png

I can't believe nobody brought this sprite up. It looks like Charizard is stoned.

Spr_b_g1_123.png

ahaha oh god XD That backsprite is terrible XD

Spr_1g_143.png

NOOO! IT'S THE PERFECTLY SYMMETRICAL GREEN SNORLAX SPRITE! D:

Spr_1g_149.png

Drunk Dragonite?

Spr_1g_147.png

That's a... worm?

Well, I'll make a new post with some more later :P

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
Has anyone noticed that up until HG/SS, the colour of Teddiursa's sprites don't match it's Sugimori and anime artworks?

It's about time they got it's colour right.
Spr_4h_216.png

rndm.

Mostly inactive D:
Years
I cannot believe this has not been brought up:

Spr_4p_459_m.png

"Imma hug u"
"Noo, I'll get some sort of a disease!"

Seriously, look at it's eyes.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Spr_1g_006.png

I love that sprite. ._. But I guess that's just me. I love old quirky sprites. xD However...

Spr_b_g1_123.png

I have no idea what that is. My guess is Rhydon.

Spr_1g_145.png
Spr_1b_145.png

And I gotta say, someone sure favored Zapdos back in the day. The first one is Green, the second is RB. Anyway, it got the better treatment than the other two.

Spr_1g_144.png
Spr_1b_144.png

Spr_1g_146.png
Spr_1b_146.png

But me being me, I love the Articuno and Moltres sprites, despite them being really off compared to the Sugimori art. It's just a feel I get...it is Pocket Monsters, after all. So shouldn't they look scary?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I thought it was Tyranitar...

The G/S/C backsprites had, thank god, higher resolution than that.

I loved PIdgey's sprite in when I first played Gold. It was such a HUGE improvement to Yellow's so I kept Pidgey on my team that whole playthrough XD

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yeah, I just checked. It's Scyther. Hard to believe that something this badass:
Spr_1b_123.png
could have such a bad backsprite.

Tyranitar? ._. That's too primitive to be T-tar.

This is pretty bad, too, and it's only gen. III.

Spr_b_g3_123.png

And this is really good for gen. I. Probably the best backsprite at the time, imo.

Spr_b_g1_036.png

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
This is pretty bad, too, and it's only gen. III.

Spr_b_g3_123.png

I don't think that's so bad? I don't know how the gen IV sprite looks, but still. I mean, you can see that it's Scyther XD

gbg016.gif

gsback016.png

Now, THIS is what I'm talking about. (is it pink though? o.o)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Spr_b_g4_016.png

Pidgey's gen. IV backsprite looks great to me. And it's not pink!

Spr_4h_016.png

Pidgey in HGSS. Now that is freaking adorable, I must admit.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
XD Adorable yes, alright.

But I think it's its cute round shape and the spread wings that appeal to me. I never liked the Pidgeotto sprites with its wings folded either.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yeah, the gen. III Pidgey backsprite is still really cool to me. :> I agree about Pidgeotto, too. I was disappointed how they closed the wing span in HGSS. DPPt had it perfect. :/ But at least Pidgeot looks better.

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
Spr_1g_006.png

I love that sprite. ._. But I guess that's just me. I love old quirky sprites. xD However...

Spr_b_g1_123.png

I have no idea what that is. My guess is Rhydon.

Spr_1g_145.png
Spr_1b_145.png

And I gotta say, someone sure favored Zapdos back in the day. The first one is Green, the second is RB. Anyway, it got the better treatment than the other two.

Spr_1g_144.png
Spr_1b_144.png

Spr_1g_146.png
Spr_1b_146.png

But me being me, I love the Articuno and Moltres sprites, despite them being really off compared to the Sugimori art. It's just a feel I get...it is Pocket Monsters, after all. So shouldn't they look scary?

OH FOR FREAKING GOD"S SAKE !!!!! Zapdos is GOD but Moltres and Articuno .... they .... SUCKK !!!!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
OH FOR FREAKING GOD"S SAKE !!!!! Zapdos is GOD but Moltres and Articuno .... they .... SUCKK !!!!

Yeah, I love how all we talk about are the bad sprites. xD I tried to change it up a little. :P That's arguably the best sprite in RB and G when you think about it.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I agree. Jolteon, in my opinion, had been blessed with a good sprite through all generations, but...that's just ridiculous. I'd take
Spr_1b_135.png
over
Spr_4h_135.png
any day. That's why they're all over my sig. xD

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm not really sure. =.= It just looks awful. It's creepy...and angry. Not the cool angry that we've known for years. A creepy bad sprite look.

Spr_4h_229_m.png

That's not much of a masterpiece, either.

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
Yep , I must agree . Most HGSS sprites are pretty much fail , due to this new style Nintendo has of putting Pokemon in stranger , more uncommon postures .

Yeah, I love how all we talk about are the bad sprites. xD I tried to change it up a little. :P That's arguably the best sprite in RB and G when you think about it.

Yes . Someone really lloved the Electric type back then . Except for Pikachu :

rbspr025.png

Really , is that all Nintendo can do ???

Last edited:
Back