• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hip-hop appreciation thread

Years
Agreeing with the OP, Kanye's a great rapper, and what he did to Taylor Swift doesn't make him any less of one, in my eyes. I'm pretty much in love with his song "All of the lights".
Some other rappers I listen to, would be: Drake, Tyga, Lil' Wayne, B.O.B, Eminem, Wiz Khalifa, Cudi, Fort Minor, Ya Boy, The Game, Short Dawg, and Curren$y. I'm pretty varied in which rappers I like, as the last two are
examples of 'Southern Rappers', which aren't played on the radio or mentioned where I live, but I listen to them, nonetheless.

shot571

Eminem is defintely the best right now imo. Especially his underground stuff. And also B.O.B. Kanye kinda annoyes me especially with all the illuminati stuff so I try not to listen to him. Eminem is my favourite by far especially how he made fun of lil wayne in his own song :P. Despicable by Eminem is a good new song.

ThatKidMike

yall fuccbois
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 16, 2013
'98 Eminem was honestly the only one I can say I was really into. He got worse and worse after that. MMLP is really overrated as well, SSLP >>>> MMLP by faaaar.

I dunno if you guys have been keeping up with OFWGKTA recently but they've been really blowing up, I've been following them for like 2 years and it's been really cool to see them rise. I'm not sure how much you guys will like them though. Tyler, the Creator the leader of the group is kind of a combination of '98 Eminem's lyrics and a DOOM flow/imagery.

shot571

what about lowkey? hes a good underground rapper. i mean listen to alphabet defence. might not be the best rap ever but imagine the work gone into it

.Fenris

Just a bystander, don't shoot!
Years
Wu-Tang Clan & 50 Cent are the best of the best, foolz.
Only rappers I got the full albums for.

ThatKidMike

yall fuccbois
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 16, 2013
Lowkey is alright, really he's just another surface underground rapper that won't really do anything. Place him with dudes like Immortal Technique I guess.

50 Cent fell off, hard. Power of the Dollar and Get Rich or Die Tryin' were both great albums, but he hasn't done anything worthwhile since. Wu-Tang is sick as **** though.

Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2016
I'm HUGE rap fan.

Kanye is my absolute favorite musician just edging out John Mayer.. I'll say this about Kanye, he's an excellent musician but he's not the best rapper. He mumbles, he's not consistent and he breaks a lot of rules of hip hop...however those flaws are why I like him, because I feel like I can connect to him because he's more like me.

Lupe Fiasco is likely my second favorite rapper because he's like one of the most creative lyracists of our time. Nas is third for me...and If you like hip hop I don't need to explain why.

Rick Ross has come out of no where and gotten really good... for years he was always just okay but this last Teflon Don album was banana's...and I agree with the statement that Kid Cudi is huff. If he would stop talking about nothing but weed, I'd like him more.

I also make my own rap, I make songs about Pokemon and Transformers, so I probably shouldn't be picking on Cudi.

Last edited:

Cheyron

Starting out
Years
I don't think hip-hop gets enough coverage as it should. I mean, the guys who make those songs are lyrical genius. Not to mention they spend hours working on a solid beat.

All of that said, I'm a rock fan. I appreciate other genre though. :)

Barney.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 30, 2015
Most rap and hi-hop is overrated garbage.

But I am a fan of artists like: The Roots, MF Doom/Madvillian, Tyler the Creator, OFWKTA, ODB, Ghostface Killah, Nas.. And others.

Azonic

hello friends
Years
I love Nicki and Eminem. Nicki is something new and she has great stage presence. Eminem is just a flat out great rapper, and his natural voice tone is perfect for rapping / shouting in his songs. Kanye is decent too. Em and Kanye have some pretty beast lyrics, which is where Nicki falls sort of flat.

I love Chris Brown's voice.

I never saw anything in Drake though. :|

Years
agree with the statement that Kid Cudi is huff. If he would stop talking about nothing but weed, I'd like him more.

While I agree he talks about weed way too much, he also does have other things he talk about.

His style is so diverse which is why I like him, certainly one of my most listened to artists. Cut the little drug trip section out of his second album and it is one the best albums I've heard for a long time.

Conman

Knowledgeable Ignorance
Years
Rap & Hip-Hop are by far my favorite genres. I try to be open minded and generally listen to all genres, but nothing tops rap & hip-hop.

I'm a big Kanye fan, he is defiantly in my top ten BUT I put Lupe Fiasco above just about everyone. He's probably the only rapper I could consider calling the GOAT.
I've been listening to Lasers since it came out, and though it's far more "pop" than I would like, it is still a great album. I blame Atlantic anyway.

I've also been recently getting down with OFWGKTA. They really are blowing up ever where and I just found out about them a couple days before Yonkers dropped.
I'd have to say the best members are Tyler and Earl, but you know...FREE EARL.

Anyway, I like a lot of "conscious rap" like Talib Kweli and Mos Def, as well as underground king pins like DOOM.
Notable mentions go to weed rappers like KiD CuDi and Curren$y too. The subject matter may not vary as much as other artist, but the creative and skill is always present.

Last edited:

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Even though I prefer reggaeton over Hip-Hop, I'm still a big fan of Hip-Hop.

Outkast, Kanye, Eminem, Kid Cudi, Tupac, Notorious B.I.G. and Jay-z are some of my favorites, but I guess the best would be Diversidad.

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2011
My favorite rapper is probably Kanye... his new(est) album is so amazing.

Conman

Knowledgeable Ignorance
Years
Review of Lasers

has anyone heard lupe fiasco's new album? i heard it was sick, think i'm gonna give it a listen tomorrow

I have and now that I have had time to reflect upon it I've reached a conclusion. It is not as bad as some long time fans say, but it as amazing as some fanboys make it out to be. In all honesty, it is pretty average but I expect way more from Lupe. Some tracks still do have the usual shine like his previous albums, but far too many tracks have been "mainstreamed". I would personally have to say the best track of the album is a tie in-between "All Black Everything" and "Till I Get There". Overall, I would label it his black sheep album that almost every artist goes through, except his really wasn't him just experimenting like other artists but instead Atlantic meddling with the product.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
Years
There's also Wiz Khalifa. It's sad that he only became well known for "Black & Yellow."

Even though Eminem is my favorite white rapper of all time, other white hip-hop artists such as Mac Miller and Asher Roth still get to me.

After Late Registration, I began an avid fan of Kanye West. I didn't really enjoyed him much when he went auto-tune crazy. However, his most recent album was a refreshment to my ears. I have every songs from My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, which is astonishing. Then again... I do have over sixty songs from him.

I also listen to other artists, like J. Cole and Wale. They're not as popular as other mainstream artists like Jay-Z or Lil' Wayne. However, their music is just as great.

Years
I've just been introduced to Tinie Tempah, when I heard his song "Written in the stars". He has a ton of talent, and I can't believe I've been oblivious to him for this long. Some other rappers that I like, and aren't as well known as most of the rappers mentioned in my previous post would be Novi Novak, Carlprit, and Tijon.

Years

I also listen to other artists, like J. Cole and Wale. They're not as popular as other mainstream artists like Jay-Z or Lil' Wayne. However, their music is just as great.

Duuuude, Wale is so sick. I love how diverse his music is. He collabed with 9th Wonder on Back to the Feature and that was some dope, conscious, old-school rap, but he makes sick anthems and **** like that too. Back to the Feature and More About Nothing were basically like listening to two different artists lol.

they're classic.

has anyone heard lupe fiasco's new album? i heard it was sick, think i'm gonna give it a listen tomorrow

Is that the one with the Skylar Grey or whoever it is feature?

Back