• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

♠ The Art of RNG ♠ | RNG Guides [OLD]

Bring challenges back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
HELLO IT IS SUB PAR :( :( :(

diveball.png
546.gif
diveball.png

Kayte / Cottonee (f) lv. 14
Prankster | Calm
Cedric | 26099
31/31/31/22/31/31
[ Growth, Leech Seed, Stun Spore, Mega Drain ]

Chose it because it was the easiest thing to get with Prankster ~_~ -runs away-

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I'd like to congratulate Rednael for RNGing the first Owner's Choice with his amazing Volbeat! Congratulations!

Reasoning: For one, it has Prankster AND Trick... and it has many amazing egg moves. This one just really stood out and I couldn't pass it up for the combination of wonderful things it has to offer. Overall, a very good abuse.

Here's the next challenge!

RNG a Pokemon that's gotten better OR worse with age! This would be a Pokemon that was introduced and either has improved or gotten worse in a later generation.

TwilightBlade is the judge for this one and it was her idea for the challenge. :) Good luck and have fun!

New discussion topic:

What do you like to do with your RNG'd Pokemon? Do you EV train them and battle with them, or something else?

Last edited:

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
Yay! Rednael, congrats! (Your abuse was my favourite as well)

@ Current topic:
I EV them only if asked for EVd Pokemon or I want to use them competitively. Mostly, they just become .pkm files on my PC and are waiting until traded or trained.

Also, I tried starter abuse in 5th Gen and succeeded!
ツタージャ male, lvl 5
495.gif

Overgrow || Modest || OT: ゴンゾ || ID: 1
IVs: 31/2/31/30/31/30 HP Fire 70

I wanted a hard hitting fire Pokemon as a starter but I didn't want Tepig, so I chose Snivy, lol. Another Snivy's plus is that I will be able to get shiny HP grass Panpour easily as Dreamyard gift :)

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
HELLO IT IS SUB PAR :( :( :(

diveball.png
546.gif
diveball.png

Kayte / Cottonee (f) lv. 14
Prankster | Calm
Cedric | 26099
31/31/31/22/31/31
[ Growth, Leech Seed, Stun Spore, Mega Drain ]

Chose it because it was the easiest thing to get with Prankster ~_~ -runs away-

This easily won my heart. <3

Discussion topic: What do you like to do with your RNG'd Pokemon? Do you EV train them and battle with them, or something else?
I do all kinds of things to my RNGd Pokemon. Some are EV trained to beat up in-game trainers (Ferrothorn). Some are used in battle facilities / tournaments (Gengar, Vaporeon, Starmie). Some are EV trained, rare candied, and become my Fly slave (Volcarona and Kyurem). Some are used in my in-game teams (Azumarill, Steelix). Some are perpetually boxed, regardless of being UT or EVd, until they are to be traded. Geez have I exhausted every possibility yet?? I feed foul poffins to some!

hey sup folks!
Friendly tip on this week's challenge: While this challenge largely emphasizes how a particular Pokemon has competitively improved/worsened throughout the generations, I understand that some members don't care for battling. For that reason, feel free to RNG abuse a Pokemon you feel differently about since its inception. Be sure to explain why a Pokemon gradually grew on you (or vice versa). Remember to have fun! Looking forward to eating the cookies k.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Discussion topic: I usually EV the ones that I want to battle with because I find it fun to try to compete with others and it gives me a certain sense of pride to use my own RNG'd mons. It's a lot of fun for me :) It also helps pass the time at work to annihilate the Battle Subway with them ;)

My challenge entry:

004.png
37.png
004.png

Vulpix ♀ Lv. 1 ★
OT: Ginny | ID: 51120
Nature: Calm
Ability: Drought
IVs: 31, 2, 30, 30, 30, 30 Fighting 70
EVs: Untrained
Moves: Heat Wave, Disable, Energy Ball, Substitute
Non-Redis

When Ninetales received its DW Ability, Drought, it changed the metagame and instantly was put in the OU tier at the heart of many sun teams. This one is the specially defensive variant so that Ninetales can stay in longer and keep on fighting the weather battle. I gave it two egg moves, Disable and Heatwave, which I think would help... but most likely I'd replace Heat Wave with Fire Blast. All in all, this is one of my favorite Pokemon that got a much needed boost in Gen 5.

NU in DPPT -> OU in BW

Also, I did a timid variant and named it after my pair. :)

004.png
37.png
004.png

Melinda (Vulpix) ♀ Lv. 1 ★
Nature: Timid
Non-Redis

I hope you all like! :)

CrazyMrHans

Drunk and slightly Irish
Years
Discussion Well, I intend to EV train and battle with my RNG'd pokemans, but at the moment I'm having a little trouble.

I've been trying all day to hit a shiny Litwick with perfect IVs in the wild (2F Celestial Tower), I've heard that shiny RNG breeding is easier, but I figured I'd try for this first. My problem is as follows: No matter what I do, I can never land on the PID frame for the shiny, it's on frame 132, after three attempts of advancing 70 frames from frame 62 (I'm definitely certain it's my starting frame) I always landed on 134, after trying to advance 69 frames, I landed on frame 131. Going off the pitches of the Chatot cries I overshot by four to 136. Is there something special about advancing the PIDRNG more than 70 frames? I'm using RNG Reporter 9.95, standard method on a DS Lite, Pokemon Black (English).

Nevermind, turns out the NPCs wanted to advance my frame just as I hit the shiny frame, and only on that frame.

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Discussion Well, I intend to EV train and battle with my RNG'd pokemans, but at the moment I'm having a little trouble.

I've been trying all day to hit a shiny Litwick with perfect IVs in the wild (2F Celestial Tower), I've heard that shiny RNG breeding is easier, but I figured I'd try for this first. My problem is as follows: No matter what I do, I can never land on the PID frame for the shiny, it's on frame 132, after three attempts of advancing 70 frames from frame 62 (I'm definitely certain it's my starting frame) I always landed on 134, after trying to advance 69 frames, I landed on frame 131. Going off the pitches of the Chatot cries I overshot by four to 136. Is there something special about advancing the PIDRNG more than 70 frames? I'm using RNG Reporter 9.95, standard method on a DS Lite, Pokemon Black (English).

Nevermind, turns out the NPCs wanted to advance my frame just as I hit the shiny frame, and only on that frame.

First, welcome! And by the nevermind, does that mean you got your shiny Litwick? :D

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Darn it Mac, I was going to do Vulpix.

004.png
090.gif
004.png

Shellder
shiny.png
male.png
| Level 1
Aaron | 06293 | White
Jolly | Skill Link | 31 31 31 8 31 31
Tackle, Rock Blast, Bubblebeam

Challenge complete. Cloyster was never a bad Pokémon. In fact, it was OU in the first three generations. It then fell down to UU in D/P but it still was a decent Pokémon. The reason why I've chosen Cloyster for this challenge though is because of the major boost it got in B/W, Shell Smash. It turned Cloyster from what was once a Pokémon that was mainly used to set up and spin away Spikes into one of the most dangerous sweepers in the game. Cloyster is now back in OU with little chance of moving anytime soon.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Herro! Here is something not subpar! Hopefully.

diveball.png
400f.gif
diveball.png

Biebz / Bibarel (f) lv. 49
Unaware | Brave
Cedric | 26099
31/31/31/30/31/31 HP Electric 70
[ Amnesia, Take Down, Super Fang, Superpower ]

Picked because our favorite HM slave got probably one of the briefest 15 minutes of fame in gen V. Heck, less than 15 minutes. Although this one doesn't have it, Moody made Bibarel MUCH better, but sadly, the ability got banned. :( Smeargle also suffered this too, however Smeargle wasn't hurt as bad as our chubby friend here. So yeah!

And my main prize! I finally did this one, and I gotta say, it's a LOT better than my last Wondercard fiasco RNG.

cherishball.png
384.gif
cherishball.png

レックウザ lv. 70
Air Lock | Adamant
ノブナガ | 03172
31/31/31/31/31/31 HP Dark 70
[ Dragon Pulse, Ancientpower, Outrage, Dragon Dance ]

Getting better at this. n_n

As for the topic, I honestly don't know what to do with what I RNG. I RNG'd something for an in-game team, so obviously that's what it's being used for, but my other RNG'd Pokemon are just sitting in the box. I plan to clone some and train one and have the others up for trade. Though idk when I'll get the time to train them. XD I'd like to EV what I RNG since I work for those and I feel they deserve to be trained better than other Pokemon, but it's not like I have people to battle here, so idk. I guess I'm an evil collector.

CrazyMrHans

Drunk and slightly Irish
Years
First, welcome! And by the nevermind, does that mean you got your shiny Litwick? :D

Indeed, Zippy the shiny Litwick is the first of 5 shinies I intend on adding to my team, currently I'm trying to hatch a shiny Axew. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

...I wonder if anyone would pay money for flawless shinies...

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
No, no one's gonna pay you real money for them, I'm afraid. You can start a trade thread though. That's close enough, haha.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
We only encourage Pokemon for Pokemon trades here anyway. Vaporeon, very nice RNG there. I like Shellder a lot, but he's hard for me to use competitively. It always faints before it can be too useful. And Sydian! Wonderful job on both of them, especially that beautiful Rayquaza. :D I am proud!

CrazyMrHans

Drunk and slightly Irish
Years
No, no one's gonna pay you real money for them, I'm afraid. You can start a trade thread though. That's close enough, haha.

Oh well, would've been neat though.

Shiny perfect Axew get! :D
Onto the next pokeman, is it possible to RNG a flawless, shiny Magikarp from the salesman in B/W?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Just hatched this one. :) Second egg abuse on Black woooo.

004.png
498.gif
004.png

HoneyBaked / Tepig (m) lv. 1
Blaze | Adamant
Cedric | 26099
31/31/31/31/31/31
[ Tackle, Flame Charge ]
-hatched in Black City-

oink.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Oh well, would've been neat though.

Shiny perfect Axew get! :D
Onto the next pokeman, is it possible to RNG a flawless, shiny Magikarp from the salesman in B/W?
Yes, it's a gift Pokemon.

Just hatched this one. :) Second egg abuse on Black woooo.

004.png
498.gif
004.png

HoneyBaked / Tepig (m) lv. 1
Blaze | Adamant
Cedric | 26099
31/31/31/31/31/31
[ Tackle, Flame Charge ]
-hatched in Black City-

oink.

Nice job, Sydders! Oink oink oink xD Keep them coming.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
004.png
37.png
004.png

Vulpix ♀ Lv. 1 ★
Nature: Calm
Non-Redis

When Ninetales received its DW Ability, Drought, it changed the metagame and instantly was put in the OU tier at the heart of many sun teams. This one is the specially defensive variant so that Ninetales can stay in longer and keep on fighting the weather battle. I gave it two egg moves, Disable and Heatwave, which I think would help... but most likely I'd replace Heat Wave with Fire Blast. All in all, this is one of my favorite Pokemon that got a much needed boost in Gen 5.

NU in DPPT -> OU in BW

004.png
090.gif
004.png

Shellder
shiny.png
male.png
| Level 1
Aaron | 06293 | White
Jolly | Skill Link | 31 31 31 8 31 31
Tackle, Rock Blast, Bubblebeam

Challenge complete. Cloyster was never a bad Pokémon. In fact, it was OU in the first three generations. It then fell down to UU in D/P but it still was a decent Pokémon. The reason why I've chosen Cloyster for this challenge though is because of the major boost it got in B/W, Shell Smash. It turned Cloyster from what was once a Pokémon that was mainly used to set up and spin away Spikes into one of the most dangerous sweepers in the game. Cloyster is now back in OU with little chance of moving anytime soon.

diveball.png
400f.gif
diveball.png

Biebz / Bibarel (f) lv. 49
Unaware | Brave
Cedric | 26099
31/31/31/30/31/31 HP Electric 70
[ Amnesia, Take Down, Super Fang, Superpower ]

Picked because our favorite HM slave got probably one of the briefest 15 minutes of fame in gen V. Heck, less than 15 minutes. Although this one doesn't have it, Moody made Bibarel MUCH better, but sadly, the ability got banned. :( Smeargle also suffered this too, however Smeargle wasn't hurt as bad as our chubby friend here. So yeah!
All very good and lovely choices for the challenge. :)

Here's what I managed to do for the challenge. First try ended in a white-out after tossing ~95 Dive Balls. Second try was caught MUCH quicker, but it actually had the wrong IVs. I was misled by its Jolly nature and 31 IVs in speed. My bad. Final try, after reorganizing the capturing team, my agony ended.

diveball.png
482.gif
diveball.png

Azelf
OT: Jasmine ID: 39218
Jolly | Levitate
Swift | Uproar | Future Sight | Nasty Plot
31 | 31 | 31 | 1 | 31 | 31​

In DPP, Azelf was a strong lead and versatile contender on both sides of the spectrum. In BW, Azelf has fallen from its former grace mostly because of Team Preview. Yeah, it lost its spotlight because of one new feature. I hate you too, Azelf. >:o

CrazyMrHans

Drunk and slightly Irish
Years
So it took me nearly an entire day, but I RNG'd the following:

Shiny Kyurem, Adamant, 31/+30/31/-31/31/31
Shiny Solosis (M), Modest, 31/-XX/31/+31/31/31
Shiny Ferroseed (M), Adamant, 31/+31/31/-XX/31/31
Shiny Litwick (M), Modest, 31/-XX/31/+31/31/31 (Two of these :P)
Shiny Tynamo (M), Modest, 31/-XX/31/+31/31/31
Shiny Magikarp (F), Adamant, 31/+31/31/-XX/31/31
Shiny Axew (M), Adamant, 31/+31/31/-XX/31/31

Axew (F), Adamant, 31/+31/31/-29/31/31
Scraggy (M), Adamant, 31/+31/31/-29/31/31
Ferroseed (M), Adamant, 31/+31/31/-31/31/31
Tynamo (M), Modest, 31/-XX/31/+31/31/31
Ditto, Rash, 31/31/31/31/31/31
Elgyem, Modest + Adamant, for synchronising
Volcarona (M), Modest, 31/-XX/31/+31/31/31

I would do the thing with the pretty pictures and sprites and stuff, but I can't because I don't have 15 posts yet. Oh wells.

Is that a solid effort for a day's worth of Pokemon?

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014

I would do the thing with the pretty pictures and sprites and stuff, but I can't because I don't have 15 posts yet. Oh wells.

Most of us don't RNG that much in a week or a month! xD Nice work... keep them coming! You should take a look at our challenge and see if it's something you're interested in participating in. :)

oocyst

SOFTware
Years
I did the challenge! Didn't exactly get what I wanted but it doesn't really matter that much.

422-e.png

Destrodon
Storm Drain|Sassy
31|31|31|31|31|16
Mud-Slap|Recover|Toxic|Ice Beam

So I chose Gastrodon because he had a huge change of power with the coming of Drizzle Politoed, being a great rain counter in sand teams, and a great supporter in rain teams. It shifted from NU to OU, which is an amazing change!

Wow, that is a LOT. I can't get myself to do that much in a day.

EDIT: OH I almost forgto i wanted to say thank you to you all for choosing me as the winner! :D :D :D

Last edited:

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
Years
Will you allow me to hijack your thread once more with my questions? D:
There are some things I still don't understand.
When I click Generate in rng reporter, looking for wild pokemon, it'll come up with results just fine and tell me the seed and time/date stuff. Then I do the pidrng stuff to make sure it's shiny and whatnot.
Then the guide tells me to save in the area of the Pokemon, but how exactly do I know where/what that Pokemon is?

Also, I have no idea how i'm supposed to read the Encounter Slot chart D:
What are the numbers at the top, and what are the numbers next to the Pokemons names?

And when it tells me to catch that first Pokemon, check it's IVs and stuff to see how many chatter advancements I need to do, how do I know if it's right? It says it'll be in the first 10 from my starting frame, so do I just make sure the IVs are close to the Pokemon i'm looking for, and then choose the item in the list with the same nature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back