• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What religion do you follow?

Outlier

(And not that I'm complaining but every time I read threads like these a little bit of me dies on the inside for some of ya :x)

I agree, these threads have too many Godless heathens in them for my taste. Just kidding I'm not even religy. :pink_giggle:

Gabri

m8
Years
I was baptized a Catholic when I was like 2 or 3 years old (and obviously didn't have a choice in the matter), and did have cathechesis (again, not my choice) for 6 years, until I was like 11 or 12.

That said, I follow no religion, and I don't believe in whatever god or non-god there may be out there. Nor have I ever felt the tiniest bit of religious faith in my life. Religion's done more harm than good through the whole history of man, and I prefer to just stay away from it. I have no problems with people who follow a religion though, as long as they don't stuff it down other people's throats.

On a sidenote, I'm honestly surprised that there haven't been any god vs god vs non-god battles here. PC is evolving!

droomph

weeb
Years
I agree, these threads have too many Godless heathens in them for my taste. Just kidding I'm not even religy. :pink_giggle:

You're not getting the point. What I'm saying is that some of ya are missing out on one the great pleasures in life.

I don't care what you believe in, but it's healthy to believe in something you don't have any logic behind. It can even be that you know everything that exists and that you're the best in the world, it really doesn't even matter.

And besides, that kind of snark is exactly the kind of dickery that I mean when I say "as long as you're not a dick about it". I didn't even say there were any godless heathen here, I just said that I died a bit inside when I read some of your posts. And not even complaining — nobody told me to go **** off, right? Therefore I have no right to make anyone change their views, and I don't. I am simply stating that I see something that I don't feel comfortable with. And as "dick" as that makes me look to you, I still have the right to put in a comment about how I feel, as long as I'm not breaking any rules in doing so.

Outlier

You're not getting the point. What I'm saying is that some of ya are missing out on one the great pleasures in life.

And besides, that kind of snark is exactly the kind of dickery that I mean when I say "as long as you're not a dick about it". I didn't even say there were any godless heathen here, I just said that I died a bit inside when I read some of your posts. And not even complaining — nobody told me to go **** off, right? Therefore I have no right to make anyone change their views, and I don't. I am simply stating that I see something that I don't feel comfortable with. And as "dick" as that makes me look to you, I still have the right to put in a comment about how I feel, as long as I'm not breaking any rules in doing so.

Chill dude. It was obvious that I took your quote out of context and was just making a joke. I know sarcasm doesn't always translate well over the internet, that's why I even said I was kidding.

I don't care what you believe in, but it's healthy to believe in something you don't have any logic behind. It can even be that you know everything that exists and that you're the best in the world, it really doesn't even matter.

Okay this I don't even. I'm not trying to take anyone's religion away from them but how is it always healthy to believe in something you don't have any logic behind? I know faith helps some people get through the day and some tough times but you could list plenty of reasons that religion has negatively influenced people and effected our society. Now it's hard to talk about the cons of religion without offending people but I'd be willing to have this discussion with you if you really want to get into this. To say you don't care what religion someone belongs to is one thing, to say that it's healthy to have blind faith regardless of what it is they believe in, is probably one of the most ignorant things I've read in a while. Blind faith can be very dangerous and like it's been said in other posts in this thread it also stunts our growth as a society.

Years
I do only not believe in any god, I just simply can't believe in a god. I personally find the concept just way too unnecessarily complicated but at the same time conveniently simplistic for it to be true.
Same applies to stuff like ghosts. Now albeit I'm fascinated by stuff like alleged ghost sightings and people who claim to see spirits walking about, I do not believe it is actually real, due to it being, as I said, unnecessarily complicated but at the same time conveniently simplistic.

I won't deny that a supernatural realm parallel to our own would be pretty damn cool and add some spice to it all, but as long as no sufficient explanation or proof of its existence is at all shown, I can't believe it to exist.

Years
My family are Assemblies of God Pentecostal. Though, I personally don't really know what I, personally, would fall under... Though I live by the beliefs of the church, I also have a more open-minded point of view, and also kinda view things as an agnostic would. I don't go to Church every Sunday, and you don't see me praying.... But, I believe that God exists. I dunno... Meh, anyways, yeah. I guess I'm, more or less, Christian xD

droomph

weeb
Years
Okay this I don't even. I'm not trying to take anyone's religion away from them but how is it always healthy to believe in something you don't have any logic behind? I know faith helps some people get through the day and some tough times but you could list plenty of reasons that religion has negatively influenced people and effected our society. Now it's hard to talk about the cons of religion without offending people but I'd be willing to have this discussion with you if you really want to get into this. To say you don't care what religion someone belongs to is one thing, to say that it's healthy to have blind faith regardless of what it is they believe in, is probably one of the most ignorant things I've read in a while. Blind faith can be very dangerous and like it's been said in other posts in this thread it also stunts our growth as a society.

Remember the part where I said "don't be a dick about it"? Obviously I know that it's bad, but that's only if you're pushing it on other people. Now it might be sad that I won't be able to accept anything, but as long as I keep it to myself it's perfectly fine.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
Years
Am I religious?

No.

I see see all the evil in the world and come to the conclusion that a benevolent deity would never allow it all to happen, and there is no good reason to believe there should be a god, and science is slowly rendering religion obsolete.

I just quoted the TCOD WPAY quiz. Those two statements pretty much sums up my opinions.

Also, I don't rub my views into people's faces, and hate it when extreme Christians/Muslims etc, try to rub their view in others' faces, especially mine. I'm proud athiest.

Last edited:

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
I'm Muslim and thankful for that ^^

Were you born into said religion, or did you join through choice?

I was born as a Muslim in a Muslims family but My religion is believing in also the other two Heavenly religions..Christianity and Judaism.

How dedicated to your religion are you?
I Love Allah and I love my religion a lot I strongly believe in the highest power of God and the strength of a prayer...however,I'm a medium Muslim..I pray five times a day and I do fasting and read as much as I can from Qur'an but I believe I still can do more as a person and as a Muslim

What beliefs do you particularly agree with? What are some you disagree with, if any?

I believe that No God but Allah and Muhammad peace be upon him is the last messenger sent with the message of Islam,I believe in prophets and messages in Qur'an,Bible and Torah(the old ones as the current ones was fixed) ,I believe in Angels and devil,I believe in the inside evil that we need to beat it with all the strength we can because the evil inside every person is strong and I can be stronger and beat the evil of myself.

when it comes to disagreeing there is some different views Muslims follows and of course there is difference so I might disagree with something another Muslim agrees on it and we can still respect each others points!

In the end Prophet Muhammad said Ask your heart even when people answer listen to the answer of your heart...what's good is good and what's bad is what you hate people seeing you doing!....and that's why I trust my heart :)

Good thread btw ^.^

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
My dad's side of my family is Jehovah Witness.
My mom's side is Baptist.

However, I was never really raised in a religious family, therefore I was never forced to pick. I know a lot of information about a lot of different religions and right now I'm currently Agnostic-Atheist. This means that I don't currently believe in the idea of a God, but I don't bash the idea of a possible existence of one. I really don't like to think about those kind of things too deeply as it's something completely out of our control.

Demon Wolf

American Wolf
Years
Im a strict Catholic I only believe bout carma n maybe aftr life still shaky but I don't believe cuz popes they do stuff to kids let god inside stupid penguins in black n white im not trying to offend but this my opinion if u like it or not

Years
Remember the part where I said "don't be a dick about it"? Obviously I know that it's bad, but that's only if you're pushing it on other people. Now it might be sad that I won't be able to accept anything, but as long as I keep it to myself it's perfectly fine.

The way you've worded it, it gives the impression that you assume there's a portion of the mind that can only be devoted to "blind faith", which is not quite true. On the flip side, one could theoretically argue that an unquestioned trust in the ability of science to eventually answer all uncertainties is a form blind faith given the human element required in science.

As for me, I'm an agnostic atheist that was not raised religious and quite frankly doesn't care what your religious beliefs are as long as you aren't using them as your "reason" to hate someone or to otherwise discriminate against someone based on yours and their religious beliefs (or, for that matter their or your lack of religious beliefs).

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I'd like to add something to what I said earlier, and I'll put it in a large print so people will notice it.

For me, everything that religion aims to provide I already have.

Yes, this includes what happens after death. Through many experiences in my life in the past 15 years, and through conversations with some of the most intelligent people I've known, I've learned that religion's benefits are null and void with what I have obtained. Think about it.

First, I'll knock out the big one: "What happens when we die?" I was talking to my therapist, name Dudley Sigler-Black, Ph.D., about my uncle who recently killed himself, and he enlightened me to something that lifted any worry or fear I had regarding my uncle. He told me numerous accounts of experiences that both his patients (incognito) and documentations of other doctors' experiences of crossing the void of death. With references to names of doctors and organizations to search myself (which I did), he first told me of this man who had died on the operating table. When he died, he left his body and ever so gradually an unimaginably bright light consumed his vision. Oddly, he was drawn to it. Does this sound familiar? He moved closer and closer to it, until a voice told him to stop. The voice told him he had a choice, he could either go on ahead, or go back and live his life some more. At that point he decided to go back, thinking of his family and how they would fare without him. And he told this experience.

Another experience conducted on about 2,000 small children between 5 and 9 by Harvard Medical, involves this. There was an 8-year-old boy named Jack, and his parents decided to take him to a psychiatrist when they noticed he kept drawing pictures of plane crashes. So, Jack went to the psychiatrist, and explained to the man that he had died in a plane crash, his name was Jack (before he died), that he was sad that he died, and wanted to cope with it through drawing pictures. This sounds crazy, no? Jack's father was in staunch belief that his kid is playing a game, and was trying to screw with them. They took him to almost two dozen different doctors, where one hooks him up to a lie detector test, which yields negative results. Eventually the kid says that he had crashed into a very specific naval model battleship, and gives him the name of the boat. His dad searches it, but doesn't find anything—in battleships, that is. It turns out that there was a ship with that name, but it wasn't a battleship – it was an aircraft carrier. Through that, the people keeping tabs on this manage to find the wife of this so-called Jack who died in a plane crash on the USS so-and-so, and they bring Jack to her. He introduces himself as her husband, and she blushes, saying that her husband died. He claims that he is in fact him, and describes to her a picture that he drew of her before he died. In the attic of her house, she finds that very same picture—exactly as the 8-year-old described it.

A third (and somewhat shorter) story Dr. Black told me, was this. A man had died on the operating table, and had (like before) left his body. As he floated there, he heard the dialogue between the head surgeon and the nurse, regarding some sort of message to get some medicine. After the surgeon brought him back to life, he talked with him, telling him exactly what the doctor and the nurse had said—while he was dead.

Before you flap around saying "sources lol smh", I have it. It's called my therapist, whose name is linked to his profile on his employer's website. He's been doing his job for over 25 years.

As for the other, less important things that religion aims to fill, moral values are covered for me in recorded history. Everything else? Riff raff.

Ultramarine

Turn the tables
Years
I'd just like to put this out there. To those saying that they like "proof" and need to "see to believe," would that not make you incapable of believing in geometrys postulates, which cannot be proved, but must simply be accepted as truth?

Just thought I'd put that out there. Probably gonna get some backlash, as I'm sure there's a flaw in my argument, but it's 1 AM over here and I'm half-asleep, listening to REO Speedwagon.

Rhize

Topsy-Turvy
Years
I do not follow a religion, nor believe in a God. However, I see religion as a need part of the human species. As a species, we have adapted to learn individuality. This is both a curse and a blessing. We can become our own people, do our own things-but are all of these things good?

I am going to use wolves as an example. They are solely focused on the well-being of their pack and their selves. They are creatures of instinct, and in their short life span will never have the time to think about anything else besides their survival.

Humans naught need to worry about such things. We have grown out of animalistic instincts, and have become our standard of a species of higher intelligence. We have all we need given to us by technology and modern day civilization. Meaning, unlike the wolf, we can afford to not be focused on instincts and survival. We are our own people and can do what we like, given the right circumstances and materials. This means many of us stray and do what religion considers 'sins'-things that may benefit you but hurt others. Without religion, we don't need to worry about being terrible, immoral beings! We're all going to rot in the ground anyway!

Religion teaches morals, in a way it scares (This is the best word I could think of at the time, it in no way actually scares and forces people but in a sense.) people into being good people. Fib and you'll burn in hell! Yes, I believe religion to be a thing of the past. But, we still need it, especially as our technology and world evolves. Do I believe in it's individual prejudices? No! But I believe the basis of what religion is, in my opinion, a way to teach people to become better people. To try to be a better person. (Not that this always happens, mind you.) But what I tend to dislike about religion is the wars it has caused and prejudices it has against certain factions. I believe it goes against it's core values to hurt others, but oh well.

I also believe (ahhh she's writing more) religion gives a purpose to some. Some are not content with the fact that they may die and their life will have meant nothing and they will rot in the ground, not go to heaven. Humans are afraid of the unknown. We all are. We need something to strive for, not make us think everyday is a countdown to the endless void known as death we all await. Without that hope in life, people may become hopeless and depressed. *shrugs* I suppose it may serve as a beacon to those who need hope.

tl;dr I myself am an Atheist raised in a Roman Catholic household.

@RockSmashGod *slowly raises hand* I remember reading this vaguely, so while I do not remember the specifics I did remember the general gist of it. Basically, when you dream, a part of your brain send off hormones or something, I cannot remember exactly what it used/did, and bam. dream. When you die, your body actually sends off dream-thingies as psychologically dealing with dying (in your moments of death) is almost unthinkable for the human mind and etc. All I know is, your body protects you in a sense to make it seem like all a dream, i.e., this 'heaven' people see when they die on the operation table. It's your bodies way of taking care of you. c:

This may have been just a theory, but this was a couple years back in an old book in the library so ye. I don't remember much~

Years
I'd just like to put this out there. To those saying that they like "proof" and need to "see to believe," would that not make you incapable of believing in geometrys postulates, which cannot be proved, but must simply be accepted as truth?

Just thought I'd put that out there. Probably gonna get some backlash, as I'm sure there's a flaw in my argument, but it's 1 AM over here and I'm half-asleep, listening to REO Speedwagon.

This sounds kinda like the presuppositional argument, where people claim that someone who doesn't believe in a god but uses logic, math and physics are being illogical since these laws are all immaterial and therefore require faith. However, that's not really the case bruv.

See people who use this argument tends to assume that when skeptics and what-not asserts math or physics or logic, they are making claims about objective reality. Thing is that science is based in phenomenological epistemology, which sets aside the question of whether or not our observations and experiences are actually reflected on an objectively existing independent reality. It basically says 'yeah, we could be completely wrong about everything we experience and observe, but lets ignore that and look at these experiences and observations themselves.'
So basically, science describes observations, comes up with ways of thinking about those observations that then allow us to predict future observations, never making any claims about objective reality, and all for the benefit of mankind. Now, you might ask why the same logic can't just be applied to a god or a ghost.
The reason why these ideas are rejected is because they are, all in all, useless. If you scientifically try to predict an observations based on a god or a ghost, you're never ever going to get anything out of it.

You don't need faith to know that if you throw a rock up in the air, its going to fall down. However, if you throw up a rock in the air and tell a ghost to catch it, you'll probably never see it actually happening.

EVEN SPEEDWAGON IS PERPLEXED!

Ultramarine

Turn the tables
Years
I see what you are saying, but there are a few things I disagree with.

You state that the ideas of God are rejected. This is quite a large generalisation, considering the sheer amount of people who do not reject the concept. So that does not only apply to all religions that believe in a God, but agnostics as well. Therefore, the only people actually rejecting the idea are atheists.

Second, unless this is a misinterpretation, you stated that religion is useless. How can you even say that? Religion has helped so many people cope and make it through life, as well as given humanity an overall sense of morality. Religion set guidelines, which many people follow. Now one could argue that religion sparked wars and immorality, but can the same not be said about science? The atomic bomb says hello. This feat of science wiped out so many people, which is anything but moral. Also, religion as a whole does not start wars or hatred, it is simply people who misinterpret religion that cause it. Religion has helped a large amount of humanity, so it is quite unfair and wrong to say it is useless.

I'm in no way saying you are wrong, however there are parts of your argument that seem flawed, and offensive.

Paige Berlitz

HAPPY SAINT PATTIES DAY
Years
Well I am a Taoist. I was born in to it. My parents did give a choice but i decided to stay a Taoist. The name of the religion is Taoism. And Kyerum, Zekrom, and Reshiram are based off this religion because they are known as the Tao trio.

Years
I see what you are saying, but there are a few things I disagree with.

You state that the ideas of God are rejected. This is quite a large generalisation, considering the sheer amount of people who do not reject the concept. So that does not only apply to all religions that believe in a God, but agnostics as well. Therefore, the only people actually rejecting the idea are atheists.

Second, unless this is a misinterpretation, you stated that religion is useless. How can you even say that? Religion has helped so many people cope and make it through life, as well as given humanity an overall sense of morality. Religion set guidelines, which many people follow. Now one could argue that religion sparked wars and immorality, but can the same not be said about science? The atomic bomb says hello. This feat of science wiped out so many people, which is anything but moral. Also, religion as a whole does not start wars or hatred, it is simply people who misinterpret religion that cause it. Religion has helped a large amount of humanity, so it is quite unfair and wrong to say it is useless.

I'm in no way saying you are wrong, however there are parts of your argument that seem flawed, and offensive.

No no, you're getting me all wrong here. I'm not saying that the idea of a god is rejected entirely by everyone, absolutley not. What I'm saying is that in scientific terms, the idea of a god is not plausible because it cannot be tested or proved one way or the other. That doesn't stop people from believing it to exist however, just like how people might believe there to be vampires strutting around in the underworld of LA or a loch ness monster to exist even if it cannot be proven.

And absolutley no again, I did not say religion is useless, I never even mentioned religion bruv! What I said is that within the confounds of phenomenological epistemology, trying to prove the existence of a god or a ghost or anything like that is useless, because it won't lead anywhere. If a test like that did lead somwhere, I'm certain we all would believe gods and/or ghosts to exist just as well as logic, math and physics.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm only rebutting your argument.

Ultramarine

Turn the tables
Years
Ah, I see, my bad.

However, much of what we "know" cannot be proved. On the flip side, science cannot disprove the idea of God. Or unicorns for that matter.

Back