• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What IDE do you use with which language

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Just wanted to know what IDE(Integrated development environment) you guys use when working with different code/programming languages.

Here are mine..

C++ and C# I use Visual Studio
Java I use Eclipse
All Web programming I use Notepad++

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Well for C and C++, I use Code::Blocks
For Java, I use Eclipse. And I don't code in other languages.

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
I use Emacs for C, PHP, JavaScript, Perl, Clojure, Common Lisp, ELISP, Java, Shell Scripting, ASM (Only Linux AMD64 though.), and most recently, Python.

Screenshot of its awesomeness.
Spoiler:

Flymake allows for error checking for pretty much every single language out there (Except ASM). Semantic and EDE give me project management and smart code browsing, and a bunch of other things. Autocomplete is self-explanitory, it also pulls documentation with completions for some languages. Yasnippet allows me to type very little to get a lot of code. It has autoindentation, and a beautifier built-in... It has a Debugger frontend to debug most types of binaries, has revision control, has a built-in shell, has a package manager built-in with more modes, it also has obscene amounts of documentation and customization. It is also quite small, runs on almost every platform, and is in the the preferred family of editors of Linus Torvalds. (He uses MicroEmacs.) The only drawback is that it has a learning curve.

You can also play Tetris in it. (No, really.)
Spoiler:

Also, I use Lazarus for Pascal, and Visual Studio for VB.net. (No link 'cause it's not free...)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I'm not much into programming, but if I do, I'm using Eclipse for Java, Notepad for some other stuff (on windows), or Vim (yeah, I'm not a emacs guy xD). It took me quiet a while getting into the vim thing, though.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Do I even have to answer?
There's Visual Studio and... some others...

Nah, seriously, C# and anything else beside Java, like XML, HTML, C++, ... Visual Studio.
Java - NetBeans as it's advisable in the subject where I use Java, once I finish it I will never use it again.
And if I ever need to code in Java which I hope will never come, I'll install Eclipse.

I'm sometimes so lazy that I code in vim/pico/nano but that's only when I need to code something quickly.

Years
I'm not much of a programmer, I'll only touch coding when I absolutely need to and even then I'll probably try and find an easy way around it.
When I'm using Java I'll use eclipse. There's no real reason behind this apart from I have to use eclipse since I only use Java when I'm in doing an assignment and part of the marking criteria is to use eclipse so there's no getting away from it. Not like I'd use anything else anyway.
When I'm coding for anything in a web browser I'll probably use dreamweaver since I really like having a live preview of what I'm making. I'll pretty much always use the split view though and code it by hand, since I've become away of how messy dreamweaver makes coding when you just slap in a table here and a form there.
For anything else that I don't use that often, or if it's web coding/Java coding that is only a small piece of code I'll use notepad++.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I don't use IDEs. I use Notepad++ or gedit for GUI (depending on OS) and nano for CLI. This applies to all languages.

I should at least learn vim at some point, but to be honest, I'm not in terminal enough these days for it to matter.

Back