• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Why are double posts not allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatJamma

From the ashes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 8, 2022
Sorry everybody it's me asking a silly question that satisfies my curiosity AGAIN =P

But away what i want to know this time is why is double posting against the rules? i mean it doesn't hurt anybody right? And if it is because the mods/admins are worried about spam posts then that's just silly because it would be no different than it is now!

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Err... yes it would be a hell of a lot different than it is now. What's the point of having a thread if someone is just going to repeatedly post new comments when things could be better organized in a single post? It makes things cluttered.

Also, it's ****ing annoying.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Not to mention if they have something else to add they could always use the edit button. Consecutive posting is not only enforced here but almost on every site. It serves little to no purpose unless you are making a trading thread that may require multiple posts since the amount of pokemon you have listed would exceed the post limit in a single post.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
It prevents Spam and clutter. PC would be..... horrid if it didn't ban double posting.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Most rules on any internet forum don't hurt anyone if they're broken. The only one I can think that will is disrespecting members, which is why I tend to be more lenient on them than others. I try not to take it so seriously, despite what people may think.

But the rules are there to keep the community in order in various ways. My take on the reasoning why double posting is traditionally against the rules on forums is because they more or less bump the thread. Besides, most double posts are just posts that someone could edit into their prior post to reply to someone they missed or posted while they were posting their original post.

Double posting is okay in some forums with threads of your own if you have new content to add or an important update or piece of information.

Melody

Banned
Years
In forums which don't prohibit double posting and enforce a minimum word limit, they get inundated with posts with nothing more than "bump" in them, which is vastly annoying and pointless. Threads must be allowed to die naturally. Bumping isn't useful unless you're trading or posting creative content in your own thread. Both of which you've got some substantive content in your post...so there's reason for an exception.

I love PC because of the minimum level of post quality. It's much less junk to sift through and scan through, which makes browsing the forums much more pleasurable.

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
One could simply keep posting forever on a thread, bumping it like crazy. The results : 200 active threads in which only one person multi-posts. Not to mention the cluttered, messy look. O:

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I always thought it was because some people just want to up their post count and no doubt they'll post like 10 replies in a row to every thread they find if we didn't have this rule.

Melody

Banned
Years
That is also a reason why. People used to do this to add to previous posts, and it was really annoying. There is an edit button.

Although, I think if you've got the newest reply in a thread, it would be nice if editing the post would bump the thread as well if you edit it after a certain period of time. (Making the date on the post you edited the current date/time, not the original date/time)

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years

Although, I think if you've got the newest reply in a thread, it would be nice if editing the post would bump the thread as well if you edit it after a certain period of time. (Making the date on the post you edited the current date/time, not the original date/time)

That's not too good an idea if you think about it.

Thread gets posted. A few posts go in, then nothing happens. Oh, look, I typo'd, BUMP. Oh, wait, that's not a typo, BUMP. Whoops, missed a full stop, BUMP. Let's use a better synonym, BUMP.

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
Years
Even if people really needed to double post, spammers and trolls would be the ones that would use it the most.

In other words, Pokécommunity would be ruined.

Years
The simple answer is because there is no point; it makes the forum look horribly messy. Like others have said, there are boards that might need a bump, because they are updating their art work, for example, but normal topics don't need to be bumped.
If it isn't active, then there is no point in having the topic.

Most forums that I have seen with double posts, just look horrible, IMO.

Years
I'll list what can be a exception of not double posting:
Posting another chapter of your non/Pokémon story in the Fan Fiction and Writing board.
Posting more pixel art if you're updating or something (but even then, it's best to wait for a few days if you're gonna do this.)
Posting updates of your ROM Hack (same as above).

That's all I can think of.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Ah those reasons make a lot of sense, I always wondered why too. Plus it makes sense to just edit or automatically merge them to avoid to many post clusters by one person.

Melody

Banned
Years

Thread gets posted. A few posts go in, then nothing happens. Oh, look, I typo'd, BUMP. Oh, wait, that's not a typo, BUMP. Whoops, missed a full stop, BUMP. Let's use a better synonym, BUMP.

That's actually what would be good about it. It'd bring attention to the fact that you edited your post, and the actual Bump on Edit wouldn't occur within the first say...2 hours of the original post, meaning you'd have that long to make initial edits. Furthermore, the bump wouldn't need to occur on ANY edit, only when someone edits the LATEST post of the thread after it's reached a certain age. This would be useful in places like CQ&F because you could wait a week, and then edit your thread if no one replies to it, bumping it without actually double posting or re-posting the thread. Finally, the bump on edit wouldn't need to apply to all sections of the forum by way of setting permissions. Just that members would be able to edit their own post and if it's the latest post in the thread and has sit there a week without a reply, that they be given the option, through a check box or something, to bump the thread as they complete the edit, almost like a moderator would be able to pull down a menu and complete actions like pin or close the thread with a post, but only through editing their post and meeting certain criteria.

However, if that system is far too complex, a more simple method could be employed, by simply giving members "Bump Own Threads" permissions in certain forums and slapping a thick anti-flood measure on that ability, meaning you can only bump your own thread once and it can't be bumped again. This feature need not be self-service, you could simply ask the section moderator to do so, and they'd be able to define the criteria in which they'd bump a thread for you.

Now when I refer to a "bump" I am referring to a power often granted to staff, meaning they can push a thread up and revive it without actually posting in it.

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years

LOL; hilarious :cer_laugh: ...hmm, maybe that's why the "no double post" rule exists... If you guys were subjected to the wrath of all my post edits, it would be quite a sight to see... Mainly I switch synonyms and fix small, overlooked punctuation and spelling mistakes, though... >_>

But yeah, I'm glad PC is free of unnecessary clutter and bumping. The only thing is that sometimes I hate it when a thread with some very good polls or posts dies, only to have a new one referencing the same topic created days/weeks later. Unless the old thread is somehow linked to in the thread's first post, some awesome posts on the same subject could be overlooked, left to obscurity in the dead thread that is now a few pages back and more than a month old. :(

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
No, double posts being allowed is a bad idea. It will create WAYY too much spam and clutter, and people would abuse posting to get their post count higher. If a thread dies, it dies, if you need to edit a post, then edit it and hope someone sees.

The only cases where double posts should be allowed is in the Art section. The owner should be allowed to double post only if they have new artwork to update their thread with, and they were the last ones to post. because if they just update the first page it might not be noticed. So the Art section is the only place I think it should be allowed, and only to the gallery/shop owner should be the ones to do it.

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2011
double post is very annoying, is not allowed in the mostly of the forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back