• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So.... does the term "veteran" exist for these forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonTrainer

Shiver me timbers!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 8, 2012
Well, for those who aren't too sure what a vet is, it's pretty much someone who has been around for a long time, well known, etc. etc., so I was wondering if the term was used here and whatnot, so -discuss-

Also, sorry if this should go in the voting forum or something, it's been a long while since I've been here, I'll remember to go re-read the rules sometime ^_^;;;

Years
Some of the staff members are veterans... I'm sure all of the Staff Admins are veterans and I've been here ever since 2002. Being a veteran gives you an insight to what has happened and if you're a staff member, you can easily solve problems that have occured before. It's experience... XD

DragonTrainer

Shiver me timbers!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 8, 2012
Lol, well I was an S-Mod, long long ago, well, like January :P

DragonTrainer

Shiver me timbers!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 8, 2012
Haha, old PC was awesome, but it's time for me to be more active again :D

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
I joined Pokecommunity.com on December 23, 2002. I am old. You kids today and your music.

Chase Leader

Music Is My Miracle Drug!
Years
I think the true definiton of a vet here...would have to be someone who was around when it was Poke Elite 2000 or something like that...but hey what do I really know...

exemption

void
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2006
I'm quite a "vet" in the Pokémon community, being modded in two of the most popular forums (at the time), and I've been around these forums since late 2000; can't say I'm a veteran here with only 20 or so posts though, and I doubt I will be. It's a title earned when you've been around during the early days of a particular place. It's not something I willingly brag about though, as I moderate and take care of many forums with thriving communities that aren't related to Pokémon.

Though the actual definition of a veteran, legend, etc. Is suggestive. It all depends on your opinion and what you feel the definition of a veteran is, afterall.

Zone

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 10, 2006
Chase Leader said:
I think the true definiton of a vet here...would have to be someone who was around when it was Poke Elite 2000 or something like that...but hey what do I really know...

Pokemon Elite 2000 is a Pokemon website that, as far as I know, has nothing to do with PC and probably never did, unless it was once one of the sites PC was the forums of.

MegaDitto

Windsor ™
Years
  • Seen Jun 27, 2013
Or what about members that have been here for a year or more. Members from PE2K did come here when the old PC started.

Zone

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 10, 2006
Haji said:
Or what about members that have been here for a year or more. Members from PE2K did come here when the old PC started.

Veterans would be more like people who were here at the old PC and still are here.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
Years
Zone said:
Pokemon Elite 2000 is a Pokemon website that, as far as I know, has nothing to do with PC and probably never did, unless it was once one of the sites PC was the forums of.
PE2K used to be a PC Community Site. That's what PS2K has to do with PC.

A PC veteran... Nice topic DT. Shockingly I'm having a hard time on what to say.

What is a PC vet? Is it one that's been here a year? Is it one that's been here two? Or how about old enough to be a member of the old PC?
I consider myself a PC veteran, I've been here over 3 years and been on the Staff almost 3 years (meaning I've been on the Staff longer then most PCers). Yet I can count 9 or 10 Staff that's been a member longer then I have (I don't say Staff because only Erica has me beat on that).
In a lot of ways PC vets are ones that was a member of the old PC (and to me, them are what I call the "Old PC Vets"). But to me PC vets are ones that's been here long enough to know how PC was ages ago. My account got cracked over two years ago (April of 04) how many was here at that time? I bet not many is around to remember that happening. To me, members that old is PC vets.

Sadly PC vets are fading away. Members old enough to remember the old PC, members old enough to remember when 22sa was this super high poster, old enough to remember back when we were still but a small forum. I'm not saying vets are better then the new members. I'm just saying I can't talk to someone about the old PC that joined last year, I can't say "Hey, do you remember when the one above was first started in OC?" or have a talk with them about the old PC.

Naminé

ナミネ..
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2011
Naminé thinks that there is no exact, clear-cut definition of a veteran. The definition changes according to time. To those who are most likely earned their way to be a staff already, all of them have joined at least for a year or more, and has visited something labeled as the "Old PC" wherever this legendary forum exists (most likely, she guesses that "Old PC" ceased to function already...) In their eyes, someone who is a veteran will have to see back to the time of PE2K, as mentioned by Mr. Arcanine.

Yet, to the next generation, someone who is an eye witness for the opening of new PC maybe enough to be a veteran already. And to the next, someone who is present since Jan. 2005 maybe enough. This pattern will most likely carry on and on, changing in definition as time goes by.

That is why in real life, Naminé always see another adjective to go with the word veteran, or the name of a certain event, so everyone can understand which time period or which event is being used as a "focal point" to define a veteran~

So, what is PC's standard accepted focal point that is to be used to define a "veteran?"

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
It's hard to define the term veteran here, because on most message boards the vets and newbies are very diversely established groups, but PC is huge, so it's harder to get people to become as well-established and tight-knit, and a lot of people just end up leaving after a while.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
Years
I remember when I was one of the top ten posters...

I remember Dratini was the top poster until she left after a fight with a Super Moderator, who left shortly after as well.

I remember getting Kwesi to de-admin Alakazam.

I remember tmbjr's constant Brock-like love of all women from Pokemon.

I remember Eusine606's first chain story.

I remember Jake was once Eusine606.

I remember being a mod (after Kwesi kept forgetting about me for months).

Oi, the memories. I've been here since December 2002.

Edit: Hmm, this topic made me go back to the reference library...
http://reference.pokecommunity.com/index.php?action=profile;u=667
Trocketshadow as my AIM! Haha! So old... Seems like forever yet it has only been a few years...
And my scheduled themed profiles and constantly changing quotes!

Last edited:

Krafty Quill

Banned
Years
Hmmm ... in general, anybody who has been a faithful member of PC for a considerably longtime and therefore has acquired a fair amount of knowledge of the forums' functionality due to the experience, would be a Veteran in my eyes. I believe there are different kinds of Veterans too. You've got your grahpic artists, your fan fiction authors, and so on...

Although they may not know much about PC as a whole, if they are significantly experienced in their own affairs then I'd consider them Veterans too (with respect to their professions so to say).

Years
I've been here since forever. Never faithful enough to come on daily, I've seen what has happened to PC.

I was here when people were nice, when few were hating and when people weren't so full of themselves... I remember lots of mods helping and not dogging anyone who was new.

I don't know what has happened to PC, or how it has changed. I don't know if anyone remembers me. And I don't care.

In my opinion, PC has changed. For the worse. People who used to come on are hardly ever seen.

It's just sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back