• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fantasy Roleplay [Ideas and Help needed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solyss

✖Come At Me, Bro✖
Years
Hey people, how goes it?

So I've thought that this slightly dead section of PC could use a nice, new, active RP. And an idea for such an RP came to mind. I've looked, and from what I can see, there are no basic fantasy RPs. I mean like those RPGs we all play now. Pick a race, buy weapons, level up, team up, go on quests. Like the classic "Dungeons & Dragons". There are none of those, and I think that they'd be fun to RP.

But such an RP would require more than one RP leader/master, for my sake. So this is what I need, a few people who would help me keep track of leveling up, coming up with Quests, and creating towns and dungeons. Anyone interested? O:

Solyss

✖Come At Me, Bro✖
Years
Wow, Your looking at the person who brought that genre here but didn't have time to do it. Hold on, I'll give you a link

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86948

Oh wow, I totally didn't see that. xD Is it still active? The last post was made more than a month ago. And it looks like it didn't get that far. I can help you revive it or something if you wanna keep it going. O: Or maybe we can make a new one in hopes of more activeness? @_@

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Wow, Your looking at the person who brought that genre here but didn't have time to do it. Hold on, I'll give you a link

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86948

Self-promotion much, Fallen? -.- Midnight Dragon already beat you to the punch with this little number waaay before you released that, not to mention that there was a number of those RPs about before you even came to these forums. I am also sure that there were many before I came around too. It's hardly a novel concept by any stretch of imagination.

Anyway, I'm personally not a big fan of RPs that try to emulate games with all those tedious damage calculation systems, inventory management stuffers, and things (If I want a game, I'll play one right here on my computer; better graphics, better organization, better gameplay, and a lot faster), but whatever floats your boat, I suppose. It's just that I've never seen one of these things get past page two, and those pages weren't a particularly entertaining read either. D: If you guys wanna' make this a success, you'd better put in a lot more organization and thought than what has been tried thus far. Plus, there's a lot of this type of thing going on in PRP right now with all those endless, tedious journey RPs that everyone seems so infatuated with. ><

Just my thoughts. Take them as you will.

Last edited:

Solyss

✖Come At Me, Bro✖
Years
O:
Well it seems to me that these things haven't got very far, from what you say. Which is fine, I just thought there hadn't been any like this yet. (But apparently I thought wrong. xD;; )
So I guess this can be closed then. Thanks for your input, Alter Ego. ^^;

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Well, I suppose if you don't want to discuss the topic anymore... (It not being new doesn't mean you can't talk about it if you want. ^^) you'll have to ask Loki about the whole locking business, though, as I have no authorization on this side. :x

Solyss

✖Come At Me, Bro✖
Years
Well, no one seems that interested, since it's been up for a bit now and the only one (besides you) who posted was Fallen. I'll pm Loki or something about this later. :3

[Or is there another method of contact I should use...? *shifty eyes*]

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Weeelll...I may might know a thing or two about methods, but I might need a little something to refresh my memory on the subject. ;D *WinkWink*

Seriously, yeah, PM or visitor message is probably the best way to go. Though to tell you the truth, lounge activity does tend to be a bit slow around here all around so getting responses for anything tends to take time. Not many people reading, I think.

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
Well quite frankly.

I'm not going to lock this, because I think it's a good subject to be discussed. If I wasn't drowning in schoolwork, I would most certainly put in my two-cents. I think it'd be better if we simply let this thread stay open, and wait to see if someone else who has interest in this kind of RP finally drops by.

<3

Both PM and profile messages are the fastest way to get to me.

Fallen Angel_Messiah Of Black Roses

The one you hate to love. :P
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 29, 2017
<.<

Can't I ever have my moment? Lol, Just kidding. But this is a subject I'm familiar with and enjoy since I run a D&D TYPE game in real life ( I'm the dungeon master) With three-four players a session. I think it could pulled off, it pulled off RIGHT. The systems and all that are easy, monitoring all of it isnt

Solyss

✖Come At Me, Bro✖
Years
Alright, we'll see if anyone would be interested in doing this. And Loki, if your ever not drowning in school work, I would love your two-cents for this. x]

And Fallen, that's the exact reason I would need help if I were to make this. Dungeons, monsters, levels, towns, quests, all of that needs to be created and monitored, and with school starting tomorrow (shoot me) I would need help keeping up with it all.

So if we were to make this, there could be weekly quests, with new dungeons and monsters. O: There could also be new towns to be visited after a while, with new weapons to be bought and whatnot.

As far as magic goes, I was going to stick with Final Fantasy's Magic set, which I will list, complete with all the spells for each, later, if I need to.
As far as races go, I was going to get some ideas from RPGs, and maybe make my own, for a be of unique...ness...

But as Alter Ego pointed out, this section is pretty slow, but I'm hoping we can bring some activity here with this RP, if it turns out well. o:
Any thoughts or input?

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
<.<

Can't I ever have my moment?

Not if I can help it, no. XD

As for the slowness thing...the only place where that's really constant is the lounges. Everywhere else...it wobbles back and forth depending on real life schedules and such. :3

Anyways, suggestions?

Don't overcomplicate. Seriously, I know how tempting it is to realize all those crazy races and classes and whatnot, not to mention all the other systems needed, but it gets overwhelming and messy very easily. Especially at the start when everyone is still kind of trying to find their place in the RP. What I'd suggest is that you start out really small-scale (just, say, something like three to five in basic jobs and races, a controlled-size set of skills and spells, a relatively small pool of monsters and items, and a secluded area without a gajillion different towns and countries) and put some proper thought and documentation work into the stuff you start out with, then expand on what you have as more things actually get done in the RP world. That way, you could also let the early RPers form out the canon for the setting with their actions (perhaps allowing some creative work on the world's regions and such as well?) and make them more like part of the actual story and less like hapless newcomers trying to make sense of an immensely complex world with an equally complex guidebook in hand. :3

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
Not if I can help it, no. XD

As for the slowness thing...the only place where that's really constant is the lounges. Everywhere else...it wobbles back and forth depending on real life schedules and such. :3

Anyways, suggestions?

Don't overcomplicate. Seriously, I know how tempting it is to realize all those crazy races and classes and whatnot, not to mention all the other systems needed, but it gets overwhelming and messy very easily. Especially at the start when everyone is still kind of trying to find their place in the RP. What I'd suggest is that you start out really small-scale (just, say, something like three to five in basic jobs and races, a controlled-size set of skills and spells, a relatively small pool of monsters and items, and a secluded area without a gajillion different towns and countries) and put some proper thought and documentation work into the stuff you start out with, then expand on what you have as more things actually get done in the RP world. That way, you could also let the early RPers form out the canon for the setting with their actions (perhaps allowing some creative work on the world's regions and such as well?) and make them more like part of the actual story and less like hapless newcomers trying to make sense of an immensely complex world with an equally complex guidebook in hand. :3

I would put aside some of my free time for an RP like that. :x I'd also suggest keeping the number of RP'ers small. The only successful RP of this kind I've ever done was a long long time ago, and it was just me and some other guy.

If you have too many people, it gets tedious, waiting on them, and it's really easy to lose interest in this kind of RP. <3

There, my two cents. xD /back to homework

Solyss

✖Come At Me, Bro✖
Years
Okay, so I should try to start simple. That makes sense. And I don't think many people will join anyway. D:
Magic will be kept simple, but new spells and things will be learned with leveling up, but it will start out with the basics.
Weapons, I'm going to try to have a little diversity there, just so a person can make their character unique, even if they choose the same race and/or class as another.

Speaking of classes, I'm not sure what all to include. Suggestions?

Fallen Angel_Messiah Of Black Roses

The one you hate to love. :P
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 29, 2017
The ones I set up in the one I operate in real life are...

Necromancer
Priest
Wizard
Assasain ( Good version is Bountyhunter)
Theief
Scholar
Solider
Fighter

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Some of those sound kind of specialized, though. If we go by the real, cookie-cutter basics then we need to start out with (and do note, these are only names for the classes' roles; not actual class names. XD)

The tank: Bulky, physical guy. Slowish. Typically highest physical endurance along with good HP and physical strength but fails both at receiving and casting magic. Usually has access to a good scope of both armor and weapons. Shields and sword is the typical setup. His purpose is to take beatings and serve as a solid, but not spectacular, physical fighter and he often features a small set of abilities for reducing damage to other party members (often one that lets the tank take a hit instead), sometimes even some basic healing abilities. Dead standard class names include 'Soldier, 'Knight', 'Paladin' and 'Defender'.

The ram: More extreme physical fighter, usually - but not always - faster than the tank. The ram features a significantly higher strength score at the cost of defensive power and has no magical inclination whatsoever. Sometimes, the ram also gets a higher HP stat as a 'sort of' compensation. He typically has far less options in armor and is very unlikely to ever be seen with a shield or helmet, but will usually get some big, brutal weaponry that not even the tank can wield. Axes are dead standard. The ram's sole reason for being is dealing out physical hurt in very large amounts, usually featuring abilities that allow him to sacrifice defensive power, control or accuracy in favor of brute force (some kind of 'rage' ability is nearly guaranteed). Standard class names are 'Barbarian' and 'Berserker', 'Fighter' and 'Gladiator' have also been seen, though these tend to have a slightly different tilt to them.

The thief: typically one of the fastest - quite often the fastest - character classes. The thief is not buff and tough like the fighting types, nor will he ever develop an all-destroying/-restoring spell of doom (tm) like spellcasters will. He is not quite as hopeless a wimp as the spellcasters, but will very rarely deal any stellar damage either, as his weapons are basically always restricted to sissy little knives - or possibly some smaller kind of ranged weapon - while his defensive ability is impaired by being restricted to light armors only, usually no shields (save for some kind of girly little buckler that you don't want anyway) or helmets. Quite often, a half-arsed compensation of higher-than-average evasion skills is awarded, but it equally often fails to be useful on any consistent basis. The thief does one thing very well, however, and that is making your ends meet. Always, without exception, this character class will feature abilities for snatching free gold and - later on - equipment for your party. If the setting features traps and locks, it is obviously only the thief who'll get you past them and if the setting is nice enough, they may even get to show off some nice stealth and backstabbing skills (This is the only time when a thief will ever deal good damage). His primary role is to be sneaky and lovable, because thieves are inherently lovable. Typical class names...well, thief, obviously. Sometimes they're also referred to by the title of 'rogue' or some kind of euphemism like 'treasure hunter'.

The black mage: The guy who was first in line when the fireworks were being handed out and got so excited about it that he ended up last for just about everything else. The black mage is near-useless with physical attacks (sometimes not even possessing any), has the defensive properties of a soggy teabag and usually only a moderate speed stat to boot. His magic resistance can be okayish, but is usually a moot point because everyone is pounding him to the ground with brute force, anyway. The black mage compensates for all these shortcomings by bringing more magical firepower to the table than any other class. He's usually a bit of a wimp at low level - tossing about basic damaging spells and sometimes harmful status like poisoning and curses - but by the time he gets to expand his repertoire a little you can expect him to blow stuff up with great prejudice. The obligatory spell of instant death always falls to him, as will - more often that not - the nastiest spells of mass destruction. In defensive spells he has little to come with, though he may occasionally be able to blind opponents or have some kind of draining spell. Equips are always robes, quite often a hat and magical accessories of doom as well, weapon are almost without exception daggers and staffs (and you can safely expect the very best to be a staff), though on rare occasions they get some more badassy options like whips or even scythes. His role is to serve as the magical equivalent of the ram. Typical class names include 'Black Mage' (in which case you know you're dealing with Final Fantasy or something inspired by it), 'Sorcerer', 'Wizard', 'Witch', 'Necromancer' and just plain 'Mage'.

The White Mage: The mirror image of the Black Mage as far as spellcasting goes. The White Mage is usually a bit bulkier than Black, has even worse physical attack power (though he is far less likely not to possess an attack) and is usually a bit slower as well. He very rarely gets to kill anything that's not undead, demonic (rarer, as demons are generally regarded as more badass than undead) or pitifully weak. In spells, the White Mage always plays support. He is by far the best healer, completely outshining any semi-healer classes like the tank, and usually develops an array of useful party-buffing spells. If a party member needs to have their status removed, the White Mage is alwaysthe one to call, and the obligatory spell for reviving the dead always falls to him. As much of a team player as he is, the White Mage usually royally fails on his own. If he gets any spells capable of damage, they will usually be useless (or at least heavily impaired) against anything that's not undead or, sometimes, demonic. A few handy, non-harmful status spells (typically, one each for sleep, paralysis and slowing) will be provided but usually inefficient against serious threats. When the White Mage hits really badass levels, he will usually develop a single real offensive spell (which is always a ray or blast of holy energy) that is almost - but never exactly - as strong as the Black Mage's spell of mass destruction. This spell will, however, usually be so expensive that you'd rather just have keep White Mage buffing up the rest of your party. His armor of choice is a robe or sometimes even heavier armor, and his weapons are invariably blunt. (As staff is very common here too, though flails, maces and hammers also get plenty of love) The White Mage's role is support and healing. Typical appellations, besides the FF 'White Mage', are 'Priest', 'Cleric', and 'Healer'.

There are lots of other ones, of course, but these are the big five imo. :3

Last edited:

Solyss

✖Come At Me, Bro✖
Years
Yeah, those are pretty basic, and probably what will end up being used. Although I was reminded of class evolution, which is included in some D&D games, and a few MMORPGs.
Class evolution (or whatever it's called) is basically this, a thief at a particular (usually high) level has the chance to become another class that is unavailable to others. Usually a thief can change classes to become a ninja. Problem with changing classes is that you start back at level 1, but as the new class.

I'm not sure if I should include that or not, seeing as how it could get complicated.
Sorry for my bad explanation, I'm rushing, cause school starts in like, ten minutes. ;-; If it doesn't make any sense, I'll edit it when I get home. xD

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Yeah, I know what you're getting at and I've seen a fair bit of this (Sword of Mana series, prestige classes in DnD settings, the Fire Emblem class change system etc.). Personally, though, I've never like the whole thief becomes ninja concept, because it just seems like a cheap excuse for every random japanophile out there to go 'HomgLookItMeImmaNinja'. (needs more Assassin and the like) Same with the whole samurai evolution for swordsman types. But that's just personal bias.

But yeah, imo it would be better to introduce those a bit further in. If for no other reason then because it would be a fun thing to spring on the RPers, who will not have been able to gear up for the advanced class at the beginning. :3

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
For thieves, the only way to go is Ragnarok Online style: Rogue or Assassin. And from there, you go to Stalker and Assassin Cross.

I say drop the whole ninja idea entirely so our Wapanese can't fulfill their inner-most desires through this RP. :| "Take it elsewhere".

I think it'd be best to start out with what Alter Ego suggested though. Oh but, I personally think 'The Tank' should be specialized to more 'Swordsman', 'Paladin', 'Knight', 'Crusader', 'Fencer', whatever, y'know? Every good MMO/RPG needs a sword class/character. IMO. :<

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
Years
I came here because I saw 'Ragnarok'

Well, it seems my lovely rival has forgotten an important class!

You're missing the ranged shooter. You know, the one that stays in the back and shoots from a long range while also avoiding close range weapons such as swords, axes, etc. These ones are the ones with the best DEX accuracy and maybe even a good critical ratio. The usual fantasy weapon of choice is the bow, but in more modern-style roleplays, it can also be a gun such as a revolver. Most bow/gun weilders can also carry daggers and other low-skilled weaponry. Besides accuracy, they're pretty much average...average attack, average defense, average HP... usually the versatile character.

I wouldn't mind a D&D styled RP.
Acutally, what would be really fun would be to have a Randomizer style RP where events happen depending on a randomizer controlled by the RP master or something. Like...

RP Leader: Should someone betray someone in the RP? (Yes, No)
Randomizer: Yes
RP Leader: Who should be the Betrayer? (Bob, Sarah, Frank, Joe)
Randomizer: Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back