• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA)

Years
Remember SOPA? This week while the news was covering the Boston bombing, the House of Representatives passed a bill (288 to 127) that would allow companies to share your information with the government and law enforcement. The House has passed the bill before, but the Senate sat on it and it died. Could things be different this time? Obama says he'd veto, but could he cave to pressure or be overridden?

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Remember SOPA? This week while the news was covering the Boston bombing, the House of Representatives passed a bill (288 to 127) that would allow companies to share your information with the government and law enforcement. The House has passed the bill before, but the Senate sat on it and it died. Could things be different this time? Obama says he'd veto, but could he cave to pressure or be overridden?

Ummm, link? I appreciate you sharing your views, but it'd be nice to see the source where the information came from.

Years
CISPA's kind of a big deal. I hope Obama vetos it, all of us denizens on the internet would be very thankful. I mean, the bill says that intelligence (from we the people) are to be "shared consistent with the need to protect the national security of the United States", but a lot of people are arguing that nobody's going be actually using the bill for that. Also said intelligence would be "used ... in a manner ... which protects ... intelligence from unauthorized disclosure", that being the line right under - which is probably the source of fear that companies can be spying on us and we won't have the right to know about it, unless we sue in which case disclosure could be authorized? I don't know, still sounds scary though. But yeah it sounds like they want to do whatever they want with the intelligence they gather from you.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
As much as I support internet freedom and privacy, I don't really think there's a point to trying to stop these things anymore. Stop one, the government will back off for a while, and bring in a new one. In my opinion a better solution is to encrypt data and use VPNs, as stopping the problem in court seems to trigger this never-ending
loop.

SylphyStarr

SylpyStar
Years
While it has passed through the House, it faces less than favorable reviews from those in the Senate which it is headed for next. Not to mention the disappointment many Dems are feeling because of the background check for guns law failing to get through will make them less likely to vote in favor for it. Even Obama has threatened to veto it or at least change some things. I don't really understand what you drew a parallel to SOPA though... True both bills are both internet themed, but one is aimed at intelligence collection while the other dealt with piracy.

Back