• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What part annoyed you the most in R/B/Y?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velvex the Øverlørd

The Apparition
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 10, 2013
Rock Tunnel. No other part in the game comes close at all. For some reason I never bothered to use Flash, and even after going through it in dozens of play-throughs and memorizing every rock of it, it was still hell for me. Besides Lorelei (probably misspelled) of the elite four, it's the only part of the game that I actually disliked.

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2011
Rock Tunnel, I hate using HM's on Pokemon because they can't lose them. >_>

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Rock Tunnel, trying to get past Vermillion City, couldn't figure out how to get out of that place.

Equal Eyes

Happy Up Here
Years
Easily the worst thing is being in a cave/pokemon tower/where you get the secret key in Cinnabar or w/out any repels.

Last edited:

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
In Yellow, it was Giovanni. His freakin' Rhydon..... his Dugtrio.... Fissure.... BOOM MUDA****A VENASAUR IN THE HOUSE! Yea.I had to ask my friend for help so much times.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
Please note that I'm writing from my six year old perspective. So if I say something is hard, it's not hard for me anymore. So don't think I still struggle with any of these hard parts, lol.

Mt. Moon and Rock Tunnel
For some reason, I could never find my way through either caves. My heart would start racing whenever I saw the exit, too.

Brock on Yellow
I was six at the time and I haven't played Yellow since, and I didn't know that Mankey or Nidoran had a type advantage over rock. So I spent almost all of my time grinding south of Pewter until Pikachu knew Quick Attack. Once then, I'd pray for my battle against Brock. I don't remember ever getting past Lt. Surge, though.

GARY MOTHER****ING OAK
Although now it doesn't bother me, as I know when he appears at all times, but when I was younger, I wasn't entirely sure when or where. And usually my favourite thing to do was explore the area before doing what I was supposed to be doing. So naturally, Gary would come up when I least expected him, destroying my weakened team.

The Silph Co.
I've always hated the Team Rocket parts the most. It just drags on. Walk for a little bit, then fight a Rocket Grunt. And the puzzles were mindnumbingly difficult when I was six. Now they're easy, but repetitive. :/

Sabrina and Lt. Surge's Gym
I'm sure a lot of other people hate these gyms too. Pretty much any gym with a random puzzle seems to get on my nerves, but these two take the cake. It took me at least an hour to figure out how to open Lt. Surge's door, and even longer to get to Sabrina and fight her, then to get out.

Surfing anywhere
I've always detested surfing. It's not that it's hard to do, but... Wild TENTACOOL appeared! Over and over and over again.

The relentlessly long routes that are packed with trainers
Usually it seems really long when my team is weakened, though.

One hit KOs
Especially when you're at full life your opponent gets a critical hit.

Trainers who use recovery items
I know it's a valid strategy, but it still sucks, bringing a Pokémon down to it's knee. The feeling of having victory taken away for a few turns is annoying. "You're just postponing the inevitable, Mr. Oak!"

Years
Besides all the things on this thread, the time it took to walk ANYWHERE. Especially now that I'm used to using the Running Shoes, playing R/B/Y is even harder...

Katja

Years

GARY MOTHER****ING OAK
Although now it doesn't bother me, as I know when he appears at all times, but when I was younger, I wasn't entirely sure when or where. And usually my favourite thing to do was explore the area before doing what I was supposed to be doing. So naturally, Gary would come up when I least expected him, destroying my weakened team.

Myoeg.jpg

This is the only appropriate image I have with Gary >_> He always messed me up- JK. I beat his ass everytime. *trollface*

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2014
For me, It would have to be the "Rock Tunnel" because it seemed more like a "Victory Road" type deal plus, right after I got out, I had to be greeted with creepy music.. Not the best experience.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
In like 2001 when I started playing, I didn't know anything where to go or what to do.

So you can imagine me in Saffron Gym & Silph. Co D: It was a nightmare. My good Ol' brother helped me; basically, in Generation 1 it would have to be the Team Rocket in Saffron city that annoyed me, and in Generation 2 it has to be the Team Rocket in Goldenrod City v_v Although I do love TR :3

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
Years
Another thing that annoyed me - I had no idea how to save for weeks. I had to restart the game so many times and I'd leave my gameboy on so I didn't have to restart. At some point I figured out trying to cut the bush in Viridian City would save the game once, so I got to save at that point.

Then I finally hit start and saw there was a save feature. After that everything was smooth sailing.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2021
Sabrina's gym. Hated it. I actually managed to do Surge first time =S.

Years
Safari Zone. That place still annoys the crap out of me. I'd be fine just going in, getting Surf and the Gold Teeth and going back out; it's catching all the damn Safari Zone-only Pokemon (which is far too many) that really pisses me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back