• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you buy both games?

DusknoirZac

Dusknoir
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 8, 2012
I've never owned two of the generally same game, but there was that time when I had Pokemon Gold and the internal battery died, so I bought pokemon Silver from a kid at my school.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
I usually buy one and then the third game when that one comes out, and the one that I buy usually alternates between the 'primary' game and the 'secondary' game. The only exception to this is the first Generation in which I only owned Pokemon Yellow.

Then there was Pokemon Silver which is the secondary game. I didn't own Crystal until much later, but I still got it.

Then I had Pokemon Ruby which is the primary game, followed swiftly by Emerald.

And then it was Pearl (secondary) and then Platinum.

And then Black (primary). There was no third edition to GenV, although I intend on getting Black 2 once it has its English release.

Interestingly enough, my cousin always buys the game that I didn't. She had Gold, Saphire, Diamond and White. None of the third editions though which is a shame. They're usually much better than the original two since a lot of the game is revised and improved.

Years
Luckily, I have a sister who also loves pokemon so she gets 1 version and I get the other. Then later on we can switch xD This way we have been able to get all the games we wanted :D

Years
Nope. I usually just get one version and then the third- no sense on spending money on what is essentially the exact same game twice (the third versions at least add things).

And thanks to Wi-Fi, I don't really need to worry about it now.

ShinyJohtomaster

Shiny Hunter
Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2013
I usually get one on launch or close to launch, then get the other whenever. Most likely for Christmas.

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
[SIZE="a"]I did until I grew up and my parents made me pay for the game myself. Now I only buy one version because they are, for the most part the same.[/SIZE]

Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2012
I get one version and usually try to get the other one on my R4 card (rom, starting with the DS). But I've really only been successful in getting Platinum that way. Soul Silver and Heart Gold were both in Japanese, and Black didn't work. I think the world is telling me to just by the games.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I got both version games for Gens III and V. The only exception was Gen IV because I gave Pearl to one of my sisters.

Pinta77

Nah, I only buy one. Although at the moment, I have Fire Red and Leaf Green both.

However most of the time, I borrow the other game from someone else and beat it.

Years
I've only ever had one of the two paired games at any time. My cousin usually has the opposite version of mine, and since the games are basically the same aside from a few small differences, I've never bothered picking up the other version.

Pinta77

I never understood why they make paired versions of games. A little more money maybe if some people but both?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
No, not personally. However, my brother always gets the game opposite mine (and starting with B/W he started buying both versions) so between the two of us we have had both versions.

I don't see the point financially of buying both games... I end up buying the one that has the more appealing version exclusives (except for White which was chosen based on a totally unrelated magical girl anime xD)

Perico

Ripper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
It depends. Sometimes I buy both, and sometimes I don't. I bought only Blue (well, I bought Yellow too but that would be the 3rd version), Gold, then I bought Ruby and Sapphire (and Emerald), FR and LG, only Diamond, both HG and SS, and finally only Black. My next purchase will be White 2, so again, only one. From now on, I will only buy the two if they are good remakes like HG/SS.

I usually buy one and then the third game when that one comes out, and the one that I buy usually alternates between the 'primary' game and the 'secondary' game. The only exception to this is the first Generation in which I only owned Pokemon Yellow.

Why do you consider them as primary and secondary? Because of the sales? -.-

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
I buy both. Usually on one of them I mess around and restart my game with different starters and I use different strategies. On White 2 once I get to Castelia City I'm gonna catch 6 Eevee's and I'll evolve them later and I'll do a Eeveelution run until the end of the game. On Black 2 I'm gonna try getting a Black trainer card. I've played a lot of Pokèmon games and I've never really completed them so I thought that Black 2 would be the game I complete.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2020
I always buy both versions, for the sake of experiencing all of them out. Since I have a couple of DSs, why not. I get to trade version exclusive Pokemon to each other.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I like to buy both, though I haven't been able to buy both at the same time in a while haha. I bought both Diamond and Pearl on release day, and I have all the other game pairs, though I got them at different times. I do plan on buying both Black and White 2 on release day though. Yay.

Back