• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokemon: Super Rising Thunder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
Massive update of massive destiny!

First things first - I took care of the tile problem, and have replaced all screenshots depicting them (...I think... ^^' ) with new ones. Not 100% pleased with that log tile, but I'm not going to worry about it too much for now...

Image12-4.png

It's Log! It's Log! It's big, it's heavy, it's wood! It's Log! It's Log! But is it bad or good?

Second things second: If there's one thing a Pichu isn't...it's a Trainer. Behold - the new "Hero Data" card!

Image22-2.png

That spot in the middle is where the Pokedex would go...but since you never get a Pokedex, it just sits there and takes up space. XD Anyway...I found, much to my displeasure, that there is no way to eliminate the accumulation of money from the game - you can't have a "Trainer" give you nothing for defeating them. So what I did was replace the money with "Rocks" you end up collecting throughout the game. For now, they're completely useless. But you'll need to have a certain number to beat the game...

And as long as we're talking gimmicks...

Image20-1.png

Of course, a Pachirisu knows all about squirreling things away XD How do you go about it? Well...that bush in the corner, and all bushes that look like that one, functions similar to the PC in traditional Pokemon games. You can go up to it and stuff items in it, and also take a breather there and "arrange your team." Team Arranging is where - once you get six partners or more - you can decide who is on active duty (is available to battle with) and who is "on reserve" (still travelling with you, but not available to battle). Being on reserve will not prevent a character from popping up on the overworld, and putting "yourself" on reserve obviously won't suddenly put a halt to your adventure XD You're still journeying and travelling, just...not battling XD

(As for how items you put in one bush manage to be in every bush you talk to - I dunno. There's a Mew in there that teleports em. Or something. Acceptable break from reality XD ).

And now, third things third...story progression! XD I'd make another video and show it in action if I could, but the computer I'm currently using is a junk heap, and my good computer has no net access at the moment ^^' Only major scripts will be discussed here and later; smaller scripts, or major ones that would be spoiler-iffic, won't be shown.

Image17-2.png

Not a major script at all, but is being shown simply as an example of what "Trainer" battles will be like. XD Right on the first Route, you're expected to battle. These Spearows are blocking off access to Pikpik Grove up ahead...and won't budge unless you make them. But what is that like?

Image19-2.png

Well, it starts out a bit like this...

Image18-3.png

And is like this in the middle. XD They fly away after you defeat them and you're able to enter Pikpik Grove, only to find Spearow blocking off the exits - Spearow unwilling to battle.

Image16-2.png

"Beat it, ribbon boy!"

Image28.png
Image29-3.png

Enter one of the trees and you'll find Rega, the Ledyba elder of Pikpik Grove. He gives exposition and is surprised you managed to fight some of the brutes off.

Image23-2.png
Image24.png

Freya, the Pidgeotto, enters Rega's tree and is none too polite. Later on, she joins your group as a team mate, but for now, she's an angry bird with bad grammar who wants something that Rega has. Why is she angry, why does she have bad grammar and why does she want it? Alas...t'would be very spoilery (much more so than the few characters I did discuss XD ) if I were to reveal her backstory...

And when she says "pretty round thing," she doesn't mean the bush. XD

Image25.png
Image26.png

Rega doesn't take it sitting down. He leaps over the bush and goes to confront this brazen bird, wondering why she has to bother him rather than that idiot Pachirisu who lives on the first route who has a whole nest full of those "round things." She explains that Rega's "round thing" is special - it's heavy. Freya seems to know what these objects are actually for...

Image27.png

Freya attacks Rega, steals the "round thing" and makes her escape. Rega doesn't look too good...will he make it?

PatJamma

From the ashes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 8, 2022
wow this just keeps getting better and better! keep up the good work!

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
Years
The storyline is pretty interesting.
The updates are cool.
That Pidgetto has pretty awful grammar...

The Raikou OW could use a little work.
You should expand the OW's size so that you could add its whole 32x32 OW in it.
I recommend using OW Changer.
The best tool at changing the OW's size.

The Smell

Doof-Man
Years
Very nice! Congratulations on the Hack of the Week award, and... OMG LOG!@!@!@!

But seriously, looking great, seems like you have a creative mind and a great storyline forming. Good luck! :)

PatJamma

From the ashes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 8, 2022
hey here a sugjestion for you, you should make so you can go on the "inside" of a tree by using move like tree climb or something and inside the tree would be bird and bug pokemon and maybe a few items too!

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
very nice update. :)
Poor Ledyba. :(
My brother will surely be mad about that Pidgeotto. xD

Anyways, g'luck~

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
*admires her award, surprised and flattered* ^^' I'd like to thank the academy...well, actually...I'd like to thank all of you who voted for me; and even those of you who didn't, for giving me good competition :) Thank you! ^__^

The storyline is pretty interesting.
The updates are cool.
That Pidgetto has pretty awful grammar...

The Raikou OW could use a little work.
You should expand the OW's size so that you could add its whole 32x32 OW in it.
I recommend using OW Changer.
The best tool at changing the OW's size.

XD Her grammar is awful on purpose, and it's actually plot relevant why she (and at least one other pokemon you meet) speak so poorly. ;) Trust me, this isn't going to be one of those hacks riddled with spelling and grammar errors every which way...my perfectionist streak wouldn't allow it ^^'

As for Raikou, that sprite was inserted a while back when I was entertaining the idea of putting in HGSS sprites as well as PMD sprites, or eventually instead of them - the Raikou was basically copied from one of the pre-release HGSS screenshots and inserted. But now that you mention that it needs some work...I can see how out of of place it is, with everything else PMD-style. I'll get it's 32x32 PMD sprite and get to work on that ^^ Thanks for the comments! :)

@TheSmell: Thanks so much for the congratulations! ^^ Trust me, I was surprised to see I was Hack of the Week winner myself ^^' Anyway, do I take from your excitement that the log tile isn't so bad, or that you just liked that I quoted Ren and Stimpy? =P Or both? XD

@Patjamma: That suggestion is awesome XD Since most items have been replaced by unplantable berries anyway (for example, a Potion is now called a "Lechuk Berry"), and berries grow on trees, or at least on bushes...being able to go into random trees on routes for item scouting sounds like a clever idea :) Or at the very least, I could have going up to overworld trees and "talking to them" be how you get some items in the first place. ^^

@ destinedjagold and @Neo-Wolf Thanks! ^__^ Comments - both good and constructive-critty - and compliments are why I keep going with this :)

Last edited:

NatureKeeper

*admires her award, surprised and flattered* ^^' I'd like to thank the academy...well, actually...I'd like to thank all of you who voted for me; and even those of you who didn't, for giving me good competition :) Thank you! ^__^

XD Her grammar is awful on purpose, and it's actually plot relevant why she (and at least one other pokemon you meet) speak so poorly. ;) Trust me, this isn't going to be one of those hacks riddled with spelling and grammar errors every which way...my perfectionist streak wouldn't allow it ^^'

As for Raikou, that sprite was inserted a while back when I was entertaining the idea of putting in HGSS sprites as well as PMD sprites, or eventually instead of them - the Raikou was basically copied from one of the pre-release HGSS screenshots and inserted. But now that you mention that it needs some work...I can see how out of of place it is, with everything else PMD-style. I'll get it's 32x32 PMD sprite and get to work on that ^^ Thanks for the comments! :)

@TheSmell: Thanks so much for the congratulations! ^^ Trust me, I was surprised to see I was Hack of the Week winner myself ^^' Anyway, do I take from your excitement that the log tile isn't so bad, or that you just liked that I quoted Ren and Stimpy? =P Or both? XD

@Patjamma: That suggestion is awesome XD Since most items have been replaced by unplantable berries anyway (for example, a Potion is now called a "Lechuk Berry"), and berries grow on trees, or at least on bushes...being able to go into random trees on routes for item scouting sounds like a clever idea :) Or at the very least, I could have going up to overworld trees and "talking to them" be how you get some items in the first place. ^^

@ destinedjagold and @Neo-Wolf Thanks! ^__^ Comments - both good and constructive-critty - and compliments are why I keep going with this :)

Congratulations on HoTW. You deserve it.

And for the plant sprites... You can use the berry trees. XD YOu didn't replace them did you?

EDIT: Here is an award:

2qithfq.png

Made using ArcSoft PhotoStudio.

Last edited:

The Smell

Doof-Man
Years

Both! :D But yeah, the log does fit well! I can't get enough of Pirca's scarf either! It's a shame that the Ruby engine flips the overworld sprite, because the scarf swaps sides! :P

PokeBal33

Learning how to hack..
Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2009
I like the story and maps, congrats on HOTW btw. I am new here but i have bin on this site a wile just watching. When a userbar is up i will add it to my sig.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
Okay, more update-y stuff ^^

First things first - Tile Molester is deciding to be a pain. Despite using the "sprites are usually right by their palettes, so look up the palettes in a hex editor and you should easily find the sprites" trick; and even scrolling through the entire ROM, several times, on several different codec modes...the Pokeballs are proving very elusive. I found the Pokeball icons that are part of the trade animation, but the ones that appear in battle (the pokeball that flies though the air when your leading Pokemon is sent out; the Pokeball on the ground that an enemy Pokemon pops out of in a Trainer battle, the balls that appear on the status screen when you look at your Pokemon)...I just can't find ^^' (I can't find the bar with "Trainer Memo" written on it that appears on the status screen, either). Has anyone ever actually hacked these and knows where they are and how to find them in Tile Molester? It's driving me nuts; I wasted a lot of man hours already looking for them...

Now, a quick detour through Pikpik Grove...

Image30-2.png

Foreshadowing! This Pikachu's pretty nervous about the rumors people discuss concerning mysterious kidnappings and the disturbing "Crumbletown" to the north...

Image27.png

Didn't we see this screenshot before? Yes we did, but I fixed this continuous script up a little - shortly before this screenshot, I added in a bit where Freya, the Pidgeotto who attacked this Ledyba, walks up, picks up the "round thing," and then starts walking away like she's leaving. When she's across from Rega the Ledyba, she stares at him for a minute, and then runs out like her tailfeathers are on fire. This was done to add a bit more depth of character to Freya, and so that her actions here would mesh more with what we shall see of her shortly...

Image32-2.png
Image33.png

Head to the northern exit and talk to the Spearow blocking it off, once you've visited with Rega. It'll abandon its post to join up with Freya, and the path is now free for you to walk along. Well, it's sorta free...three Spearow will try to stop you...

One would think Freya would simply flee after she's gotten what she wanted, but for some reason, she's hanging around...even the Spearow can't understand it.

Also, if you talk to the bushes on this route, you can pick up a few items. You won't get the opportunity to heal until you're at the Forest's Edge (unless you backtrack and talk to your mom), so it's wise to investigate everything...

Image34-1.png
Image35-1.png
Image36.png
Image37-1.png

Freya seems quite guilt-stricken and tortured...and, unable to face what she may have done, she calls you a liar and attacks you in anger...

Oh crud, I have tile errors up there ^^' I didn't notice that till just now...I'll fix that right away! ^^

Image39-1.png

She's level 14 and can kick your fluffy butt if you're not careful. But she shouldn't be too hard ^^' You're at the beginning of the game where your foes are weak to your attacks ;)

Image41-1.png
Image42-1.png

After some attempted guilt-tripping, Freya makes her escape (along with all the Spearow), and you can pick up the "Round Thing." What's it do? Well...we'll see about that much later...

I hope with the next update to show the third route - Golden Trail - the third "town" - Forest's Edge - and at least the beginning of the fourth route - Blackriver. ^^ Blackriver is where we start to see evidence of those mysterious Magicians who once roamed the land...though you'll meet some Pokemon who insist "Arceus put all that stuff there just to test us!" =P

@everyone: Thanks for your continued support! ^^

@TheSmell: I believe Diamond and Pearl do that too - Dawn's scarf will flip from one side of her body to the other depending on which way she's facing. Drives me nuts there and drives me nuts here too, but it's just part of the engine, alas ^^'

@Ash493: I hope to release a beta at the end of the Crumbletown arc (Crumbletown is in about the same place as Slateport City, so that gives you an estimate :) ).

Last edited:

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
are they tile errors? the second last screenie?

Yeah, those are tile errors - you see the trees at the very top edge of the screenshots; how they have the bottoms of one type of tree and the top of the other? I forgot that's where the border was when I was making the map, and used the wrong tiles there ^^' It shouldn't take me but a moment to fix it, though! :)

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2011
wow! this hack is awesome!
you must be having great ASM skills!!!

NatureKeeper

Wonderful tiling skills, I got to say.

PokeBal33

Learning how to hack..
Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2009
I agree, i like the tiles. Nice updates, the trainer card looks funny with pichu on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back