• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Name Rater

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
In every single main Pokémon game, we've had a Name Rater. Which is able to change your Pokémon's nicknames. Do you think the Name Rater would have even more special features than changing the Pokémon's nickname?

Do you think it would be possible for players to reset a Pokémon's ID Number from a Pokémon that was traded in Pokémon X and Y? Or be able to change the Pokémon's nickname even after being traded? Please discuss. ^^

Guy

just a guy
Years
I don't think the Name Rater will ever be more than what he's always been, and I probably don't see that changing in X and Y. However, I've never been one to nickname my Pokémon very often, so he's never been of much use to me. And while some of the in-game trade nicknames can be a bit...interesting (Xatu being named Paul? I don't get it), I don't ever feel the need to change it. Although, I wouldn't be against having the option to do so.

Couldn't say the same about being able to reset their Pokémon ID numbers though. To have a various number of Pokémon ID's you get from trades is beneficial when need be. Playing the lotto for example? You have a better chance when the more Pokémon you have come from other trainers with different ID's. Given the chance to reset that would be a mistake in my opinion.

Plus, on a much smaller note, the ID number has always felt like something official and permanent, so just being able to simply rest that makes the whole idea of it seem a little worthless, I guess.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Perhaps the Name Rater will actually "Rate" your pokemon more so than re-naming it for you. Maybe something similar to RSE, where he broadcast a T.V show about his name change, but, maybe he can actually be like, a critic? I dunno, I'd find it funny after you name a pokemon a specific way with him, and he goes out to say, "How did you name this pokemon, after a loser?"

Or something similar to that! The reason I don't see the ID or nickname changed from another trainer is because, pokemon has an idea that the pokemon named from other trainers made it their /appeal\ to them, which they like to think that the trainers put a to of thought into naming their pokemon from the heart, soooo it'd be wrong to rename it unless you get the original trainer to name it first. Plus from the ID change, it'll make the lotteries from pokemarts seem a lot easier to win.

blue

gucci
Years
I'm hoping that you can change the name of your Pokemon regardless of whether it's traded or not.

It's irritating when you have the generic name from a traded Pokemon and in order to change it to a name you want, you would have to trade it back to the original trainer in order to change it.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeah I don't really see it changing that much either really. While he can be useful, unless he rates names as mentioned I don't think much will change. I do like the idea of re-nicknaming someone else's Pokemon, because sometimes people do that with animals and that would definitely be a welcome change (although somewhat unlikely given that the games are going to push things like closer bonds with your Pokemon and connections, too...)

Also opposed to changing the ID numbers. They exist for a reason, idk, it's like changing a bird's ID number. It'd stay the same because it's the originally registered number, so changing it randomly would be weird. There's also the thing of that being important in the lottery in previous games, so if that were to return then it would just throw things around and would be illogical...? I dunno I don't really see the benefit to it, tbh.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I'm thinking that it would be really nice if players could change other trainer's Pokémon's nicknames with the Name Rater in Pokémon X and Y, with a twist... you'd have to have the Pokémon more bonded to you in order to do so.

But as for resetting a Pokémon's ID Number, I think I'd much prefer if a Pokémon's ID Number remained the same, 'cause if a lottery of some kind appears in Pokémon X and Y... it would be handy to have many different ID numbers so then you'd have a better chance at winning a prize.

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
Years
I like the name rater the way it is, I would just like it if they gave us the option to nickname traded pokémon that had no nickname.
For example, someone traded an Eevee to me and it had no nickname (=Eevee), we should be able to give us a nickname of our own. But if that Eevee had a nickname (for example, Aqua), then we couldn't change it.

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
I would really, really, really, really like the ability to change traded pokemon's nickname

Years
I do like the purpose of the Name Rater but if they finally made it able to change a traded Pokemon's nickname I would be totally pleased.

Sometimes I hated the nicknames some traded Pokemon have.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
Yes, the traded nicknames would be one, and if you could change the colour of them, oh my god would that be so good. I would make a rainbow team and storm through the game without a care in the world.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
I'd think it'd be cool if they introduced a Name Rater that could also change traded Pokemon nickname's, for example let's say you got let's say Person A's Oshawott from the GTS or an in-game trade. It's nicknamed something you dislike but then the problem is you can't change it which is really frustrating ;_;. I'd like the idea of being able to change traded Pokemon's nicknames! Haha and it would be cool if you could change the colour of your Pokemon's name if you dislike the current colour to any shade you preferred!

And maybe even like people have previously mentioned, you may put your Pokemon's nickname up over wi-fi and get ratings from other players.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think he'll just do the same job as always. Maybe it'll use wifi connection to let other players rate your nicknames.

I wouldn't trust online players to really rate them fairly, though. I mean a lot of rude phrases could come out, unless it's a name rate but wouldn't make sense if the name is like an inside joke. :x

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
I like the name rater the way it is, I would just like it if they gave us the option to nickname traded pokémon that had no nickname.

For example, someone traded an Eevee to me and it had no nickname (=Eevee), we should be able to give us a nickname of our own. But if that Eevee had a nickname (for example, Aqua), then we couldn't change it.

this. absolutely this. wonderful idea =D

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
He needs to become a Key Item because I don't like Flying to change a Pokemon's name.

Well I'm not sure how a name changer could be a key item. Even IRL it's something we have to go to a place to get done, and he's officially authorised. :x

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
A Pokemon without a nickname is worthless to me, so I think it would be great to be able to rename traded Pokemon, but I'm not so sure about the ID thing. Like someone already mentioned the lottery.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I think they should just keep him like he is now. Like they always say 'If it's not broken, don't fix it'

If you're just going to change the Pokemon's ID, then what's the fun in trading? The fun part of trading is getting a Pokemon that you don't have and that another person do. So erasing their ID is like completely erasing that Pokemon's ID.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
A Pokemon without a nickname is worthless to me, so I think it would be great to be able to rename traded Pokemon, but I'm not so sure about the ID thing. Like someone already mentioned the lottery.

Losing the nickname makes it lose who it is, kind of. And thinking of it as worthless isn't what Pokemon wants you to get out of the games (so for that reason they could not do it lmao).

Jim Boob

Freelance Mapper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 7, 2016
If the name rater could change it so it registered you caught the Pokemon that would be nice, Having the xp bonus on seems like cheating. 9=

Back