• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Tri-Species Challenge, Version 3.0

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
Hoping this thread won't end like the last one, here I am to present you, once again, the Tri-Species Challenge.

Rules

As the challenge's name speaks for itself, YOU MUST BEAT THE GAME YOU'RE PLAYING WITH THREE POKÈMON.

Basically, this is the only real rule you need to follow, however, since I'm evil, I'm going to give you a little bit of restrictions.

- Hacking or trading your mons is allowed only if they're Lv. 10 or below.
- Your mons must be within 10 levels each other (if your highest level is 50, the others must be 41 at least).
- You must have your three mons before the 3rd Gym badge.
- HM Slaves are allowed, but not in battle, unless if they're completely necessary.
- No Legendaries.
- If you like, you can try an Ultimate Challenge, in which you use the same team in every Generation game.

When the Challenge ends

- R/B/Y-R/S/E-D/P/Pt-B/W-B2/W2-X/Y: Defeat the Pokèmon League and its Champion.
- FR/LG: Complete the Sevii Island quest.
- G/S/C-HG/SS: Defeat Red.

Sign-Up Form
Spoiler:

Challengers
Spoiler:

Ultimate Challengers
Spoiler:

Champions
Spoiler:

Ultimate Champions
Spoiler:

Good luck everyone, have fun! :D

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2014
Sounds good.

Username: SoundDesperado
Game: Emerald (Gonna play on my phone :D)
Team: Dogs; Growlithe, Poochyena, Electrike (Will evolve them later on!)

One more rule you should add; All three pokemon must remain within 10 levels of each other. Otherwise people are just going to storm ahead with one and hog all the EXP.

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
Update #1

I got the first eight badges, since I was trying this challenge, I'm sooo far ahead. :P
The only thing that sucks, Golbat has evolved, but Eevee still not...

EDIT: YAY! Eevee evolved! At level 39...

13yjdll.png

Team

2gsmiq0.png
1xzdbp.png
2mri72d.png

*Tauros has three moves 'cos Surf was removed.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 27, 2013
Eh, I can multitask, will do this with my other challenge :3

Username: Ajin
Game: Blue
Team: Venusaur, Pidgeot, Vaporeon

Also, just a question, why can't a person have three mons of the same type?

Last edited:

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
One more rule you should add; All three pokemon must remain within 10 levels of each other. Otherwise people are just going to storm ahead with one and hog all the EXP.

Good suggestion, I've added this rule :D

Just to shake things up a little :D

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2014

I personally think that Dual-Types should be allowed. I was going to do Sharpedo, Shiftry and Houndoom at first, until I read that. But at the end of the day, he lays down the law, and the same was written in the other challenge. It's just carrying on tradition I guess.

Haven't started yet, like I said, I will do it on my phone, so next time I go on a long journey (Eurogamer, probably, then a Crystal Palace away match at Liverpool the week after) I will start then, currently doing the Randomizer Nuzlocke (which I have failed twice :()

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
Years
oooh looks fun. plus I finally can play platinum again so...wynaut? lol
Username: xseed
Game: platinum
Team: Piplup,starly,Budew(they are going to be evolved later lol)

Last edited:
Years
I entered this in previous tread with arcanine, dragonite and blastoise - dragonite is a dual type and I just realized that (But it was accepted in previous tread) so should I replace it or not? Because I got pretty much through half of the game already and I already got dratini :(

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2014
I entered this in previous tread with arcanine, dragonite and blastoise - dragonite is a dual type and I just realized that (But it was accepted in previous tread) so should I replace it or not? Because I got pretty much through half of the game already and I already got dratini :(

You're allowed Dual-Types, just not ones that clash with others.

Arcanine = Fire
Dragonite = Dragon/Flying
Blastoise = Water

You're fine. However, if you had this.

Pidgeot = Normal/Flying
Dragonite = Dragon/Flying
Blastoise = Water

You would be breaking the rules. Stupid, I know.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2020
Sounds like fun. I hope I can complete this challenge. Just one question, do you want me to start posting updates when you put my name on the challengers list or do you want me to start anyway?

Username:MC_Riccy
Game:Emerald
Team: Sceptile,Pelipper, and Exploud

EDIT: I'll just start posting updates if that's alright with you.

Update 1:

Spoiler:

Team So Far:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
I'm thinking of going Ultimate on this, if I can figure out how to hack the pokemon onto my team via ROMs.

Username: Darkhelmet
Game: Ultimate (Actually when you do ultimate is it each gen or each region? Cause if its not by region and i cant use FR for Kanto, then my team cant be used)
Team: Vaporeon, Amphoros, Arcanine (if I'm allowed to let it stay Growlithe for a little bit to get some moves, if not I'll just stay with Growlithe.)

I will be starting with FireRed, I will also simultaneously be working on Crystal at the same time on my phone.

Last edited:

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
Welcome to all newcomers, you've been added to the challenge, good luck! :D

Your team is fine! :D
I had a rule where two dual types must not have one same type (for example, you couldn't have Dragonite and Pidgeot on the same team, since they're both Flying-type). But now that rule is gone ;) Which game are you playing? I'll put you back in.

I'm thinking of going Ultimate on this, if I can figure out how to hack the pokemon onto my team via ROMs.

Username: Darkhelmet
Game: Ultimate (Actually when you do ultimate is it each gen or each region? Cause if its not by region and i cant use FR for Kanto, then my team cant be used)
Team: Vaporeon, Amphoros, Arcanine (if I'm allowed to let it stay Growlithe for a little bit to get some moves, if not I'll just stay with Growlithe.)

I will be starting with FireRed, I will also simultaneously be working on Crystal at the same time on my phone.

Ultimate Challenge means you play a game for each generation.

Example: Fire Red/Crystal/Emerald/Pearl/White 2

You get to play those five games (or the five you choose) with the same team, in the order you prefer. ;)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
Awesome, then yeah, throw me down for an ultimate challenge, I'm going to staet with FireRed and Crystal simultaneously. Crystal while I have downtime at work/school, FireRed while I'm at home.

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
Awesome, then yeah, throw me down for an ultimate challenge, I'm going to staet with FireRed and Crystal simultaneously. Crystal while I have downtime at work/school, FireRed while I'm at home.

You're in, good luck! :) Can you tell me the other three games you're going to play?

Update #2

Yep, I'm the Johto Champion! I managed to reach Indigo Plateau with a Lv. 42 trio, but my Espeon needed a Psychic-type attack asap, so I spent a couple of hours, training the guys up to Lv. 47. And when Espeon learned Psychic, I made some shopping at the mart, and I was ready to go.

Kyoushiro is the real deal, the MVP of this Pokémon League challenge. He soloed the first three members of the Elite Four (except Koga's Forretress and Bruno's Onix, which went down with a couple of Calvin's Earthquake). Tauros did a great job with Karen, taking care of Umbreon, Gengar and Houndoom, while Gotham did the rest.

The Champion... Gotham did his part, taking out Gyarados and cutting one Dragonite's health in half, before dying. Calvin did his best, taking out almost the entire team, and falling to the last Dragonite, the strongest one. Which was defeated by Kyoushiro, the beast! :D

dcx835.png

Team

4nchz.png
244xg01.jpg
2jayh52.png

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
I will be doing FireRed, Crystal, Emerald, Diamond, not sure but probably White for Gen5

While I'm here:

Update #1 for Crystal:

• Started out, chose Totodile. Rival chose Chikorita.
  • Did the standard beginning of game things, going to Mr. Pokemon, beat the rival first try. Got pokeballs from Professor Elm.
  • Gamesharked my game to make my three pokemon into my first route (hacked Mareep, Growlithe, and Vaporeon), caught them all at level 2.
  • Went to next route, battling trainers along the way (including Youngster Joey *shudders* oh that Rattata...)
  • Got outside Violet City and stormed up Sprout Tower with Growlithe, wow Ember made that easy.
  • Grinded my pokemon all up to level 10 right outside Violet City. Took on Falkner.
  • Defeated Falkner rather easily with only Mareep.
  • Grabbed the egg, hatched Togepi and immediately boxed it.
So where we stand at the moment, about to leave Violet City.

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Will play a little more tonight before heading to bed.

So, I DID play a little more before bed.

• Braved the route south of Violet City and Union Cave, grinded Vaporeon up to 16 to have Water Gun before I ventured into the rock type heavy Union Cave.
  • Made it to Azalea Town, and went down into the well, using a combination of all 3 members of my team, completely decimated Team Rocket. Sheep-eh evolved from Mareep to Flaaffy.
  • Went over to the Azalea Town Gym, and went after Bugsy. Got a lucky Burn proc on my first Ember against her Scyther, and Kakuna and Metapod were easy picking so here I stand, right outside the gym, with 2 badges.
Current Team:

Spoiler:

And on that note, good night everyone

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
My update for tonight:

• Started out leaving Azalea Town, facing the rival. Ran over him rather easily spreading the kills and exp between all 3 of my buddies.
  • Played catch the Farfetch'd and got the Cut HM, taught it to HM Buddy I (Totodile).
  • Made it to Goldenrod, walked around a little bit before heading to the gym
  • Took out all the weaker trainers in the gym before approaching Whitney.
  • Whitney sends out Clefairy. I Thunder Wave with Sheep-eh and switch in to Professor Barks. The next turn, Clefairy metronomes....Crabhammer. One shotting Professor Barks.
  • Sheep-eh finishes the job and when Satan-I mean Miltank comes out, Sheep-eh lands a Thunder Wave. A missed Rollout and Paralysis proc later, Sheep-eh has it down to half HP before finally dying
  • ButStalion comes in and finishes the job with Water Gun.
  • Get my badge, head out of Goldenrod.
  • Go through the forest, and run into a flower shop owner, head back to Goldenrod to get the SquirtBottle.
  • Piss off Sudowoodo, kill him.
  • Head to Ecruteak City and to the Kimono Girls. Defeat each one, get HM03, IMMEDIATELY teach it to ButStalion.
  • Head for the Burned Tower, WHAT A SURPRISE, my rival is there. For someone who says he hates weaklings, he sure is weak.
  • Set the three dogs free, and head towards the gym.
  • Morty's Gastly goes down quick to bite. The same for the first Haunter.
  • Gengar is where things get a little strange. Hypnosis + Dream Eater + Shadow Ball later = Dead Professor Barks.
  • ButStalion finishes off the Gengar with a Surf, and then two shots the last Haunter with Surf.
  • FogBadge received!
  • Heal up and I'm done for the night.
So, here's my team before I head to bed:

Spoiler:

Back