• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

2012-2013 Modified Play Format Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
This thread contains obsolete information and was last relevant August 27, 2013. See the 2013-2014 thread for the new lists effective as of August 28th, 2013: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=309435

Time to make a new thread for this, since the new format has been in effect since September 1st.

So here's the 2012-2013 format, as of 06/05/2013:

Black & White
Black & White: Emerging Powers
Black & White: Noble Victories
Black & White: Next Destinies
Black & White: Dark Explorers
Black & White: Dragons Exalted
Black & White: Dragon Vault
Black & White Boundaries Crossed
Black & White: Plasma Storm
Black & White: Plasma Freeze
Black & White Trainer's Kit
Black Star Promos numbered BW001 and higher

Also, anything reprinted in these sets from an older set as legal. That means the following:
For Pokemon, it means it has to be the exact HP, Weakness, Resistance, Retreat Cost, Type, and have the same attacks (the attack text could be altered some by TPCi on a reprint to make it fit better with the way the rules on wordings work in the meta game) as a card in a currently legal set.

For Trainers (now Trainer - Item)/Supporters (now Trainer - Supporter)/Stadiums (now Trainer - Stadium), it has to have the same name and the same effect when played. It doesn't have to be the same Trainer class as it was before, since the way that works is that the older cards are counted as the Trainer class that the reprint is, at least in most cases (for instance, the Trainer from the Base Set, Bill, was reprinted in HeartGold SoulSilver but had its card type changed to Trainer - Supporter, which is what all versions of the card must be treated as; on the flip side, the original Computer Search was banned entirely because of a card type change to Trainer - Ace Spec). Any changes in the card wording always go by the newer version of the card. See this post here (the words to the left are a link) for a partial list of cards that are not allowed to be used despite having a name-sharing reprint. If you know of any other cards, please PM me them and I will credit you with finding this information out for me.

For Energy, it has to be the same name and energy type (Special Energy versus Basic Energy, I mean), though you adopt any of the newer wordings.

There are several reprints that are currently play legal. I may go through and compile a list of which play legal set it was reprinted in, and what other sets it was printed in previously.

Also, any future sets will become legal as they are released, as far as I understand Play!Pokemon's rules for the TCG, which I presume aren't any different from Pokemon Organized Play's rules for the TCG.

And a lengthy, official PDF detailing the rules from Pokemon.com here:

http://assets17.pokemon.com/assets/...s/2013/Play_Pokemon_TCG_Rules_and_Formats.pdf

Last edited:

Lucho K

Powered Charizard
Years
Do you know something about the new rotation?

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

Years
Updated due to realization of an error in explaining the legality of Trainer cards reprinted in currently tournament legal sets. This post here will contain a list of trainer cards reprinted in a current Tournament Legal set for which past versions of the card are not play legal.

Those cards are currently, to the best of my knowledge, as follows:
Great Ball - Only the Emerging Powers and Boundaries Crossed prints are play legal due to a drastic change in the way the card functions compared to previous prints.

Computer Search - Only the Ace Spec print from Boundaries Crossed is play legal.

More will be added as I discover them or they come to my attention.

Years
Since this is no longer the current format, time to close and unstick this thread!

New format effective beginning August 28th, 2013, is here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=309435

HoWOK5U.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back