• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Needing some elaboration on ratings

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2011
I've googled around, but I can't really get a definite answer, what does a R/18/M rating actually entail? I need some definite lines in the sand people! lol

What can't I talk about?
Can I briefly mention or allude those things, or are they totally no go?
how much detail can I put into certain things?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Rating systems are a bit subjective and hard-to-define, but the lengthy explanation might be here. A summary of that:

1. Excessive use of foul language warrants an R-rating. (Using it a handful of times in a chapter is only PG-13, however. We're talking about frequent use of it.)

2. Sexual themes without actually being sexually explicit. (Mentioning sex or implying it through innuendo and vague terms is R. Actually having characters get it on and describing it? NC-17.)

3. Heavily detailed blood and gore (wherein you describe someone getting impaled in great detail) is R. Some minor violence (someone bleeding because of a non-lethal cut) is PG-13.

So, yeah. These are your average factors for determining whether or not something is "adult." If you're ever a bit unsure, think of what you might find in an R-rated movie. If you have a lot of it, chances are, your fic is also an R-rated fic.

Back