• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Battles

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I've recently been watching the latest episodes and I've finally come to the conclusion, that for some reason, the pokemon battles in the anime aren't as good as they used to be? I don't know quite how to describe it.

I've found, especially during the Unova arc, that battles were really chunky and inconsistent. To clarify somewhat, I don't think they maintain the 'flow' that battles in previous seasons (even in the Sinnoh arc), had. Battles are either interrupted after most moves by characters who say something rather obvious and pointless or are interrupted after both sides have made their attacks. I've also noticed, for myself personally, that the pokemon battles have become a bit stingy and bland. Pokemon are too easily knocked out, and I've never really seen a pokemon battle in this arc where there's been a decent and consistent string of attacks.

Spoiler:

Anyway, tell me your thoughts. I'm really interested to know! Do you share the same view as I? Yes? Cool! If not? Why not?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I agree but disagree. There are a good few battles that are really good. Such as this morning in Serperior vs Pignite. Also, there have been a few good matches in the Don Battle Tournaments.

However, I do agree that a lot of the battles are broken up. THe pain reason for that though is because all the rivals are there. They try to let everyone say something during the episode that is around which is understandable.

Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2013
Yeah i want that the battles now would look like the battle vs charizard and blaziken in the hoenn tournament. That battle was just epic.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
Uhh yea I agree with you 100 percent. I felt that Unova had the most anticlimactic and systematic battles of the generations. Some frankly scarecely make sense. I'm almost certain the other battles in the junoir cup will be more exciting but, I will admit I was dissapointed when I expected an awesome match from my fav champion.

I think the sinnoh region juring the league had the best battles or just all throughout overall. My fav being Ash vs Paul...Anyway if they took the approch of organising battles like they did then or even in the B/w2 Animated promo they wouldnt have a problem.

-Slick-

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 30, 2017
I agree with you all the way. The quality of battles definitely sunk. Look at an older battle like Ash vs Gary in the Silver Conference. Ash would use some good strategies (sounds crazy but he actually did back then). His Charizard couldn't come near Blastoise, so what he did was burn the field which immobolized blastoise, and the only option left for gary was to hydro pump the field to cool it down but in doing that it filled the arena with steam so blastoise couldn't see. By the time it cleared up Charizard got close in range with blastoise and was able to finish him off. You look at the battles afterwords and you see some weird stuff like Ash having his pikachu shock his own swellow and that gave swellow a thunder armor....a thunder armor. :disappoin Its a shame what battles have turned into nowadays.

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2013
i think ash should just go he got to bad at battleing....that B/W2 promo trailer was awesome that should be the new animie it would have more veiws more epic battles and so on so forth.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Bear in mind the battle between Cynthia and Caitlin was a exhibition match, so friendly discussion between the two isn't something I wasn't expecting. Honestly neither were really trying it seems.

The battles in BW as a whole seem uninspired and just lack from the beginning to the end. Something I thought was going to be a big part of Best Wishes, Don Battle turned into a flop. As mentioned earlier they consisted of everyone making their opinion and less focus on the actual battle. There was more dialogue then actually battle scenes which devalued the tournaments. And all the battles felt rushed which is funny considering they were all one on one matches. What I dislike about BW mostly is the lack of expansive battles, they never last too long. Its really sad when a three on three battle is something you look forward too. Intially I was expecting more, like with the 5 on 5 early on between Ash and Trip, but just like their rivalry the notion that I was going to get full quality matches deteriorated. The gym matches were horridly written for the most part as well, yeah Seawaddle evo against Burgh, Roggenrola evolution against Clay, and Tranquill evo against Skyla so basically the reliance on evolving to win a match? As I already said the rivalry had much to be desired especially after we had Ash vs. Paul which was consistently a good rivalry. I doubt the N & Plasma arc will do much to change any of this since its focus will mainly be on Plasma related things like Genesect construction at P2 lab.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I agree with Kenshin. There was a bit too much dialogue in the Don Battles and the World Tournament Junior Cup. It would've been nice if we could see the full battles, but I'm guessing the writers cut them short on purpose to save time.

Cid

Years
Honestly I haven't noticed all this when I watched BW. But looking back, I think I have to agree with Nathan and Kenshin. Some battles have been a bit lackluster recently, although for some reason I'm also starting to think that they're slowly becoming more similar to the turn-based battles that the main series of games had. I mean the abilities are exploited, attacks clash less, dodges are less common (although still common), and it feels a bit more technical and scripted. Less dynamic, in a way. I don't know if they were going for that, but yeah I'm a bit disappointed with the result, if it means that the battles get boring to watch.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Counter moves are annoying to be honest if you watch the rest of that episode you see that Cynthia's Garchomp uses dragon rush to break free of her psychic, No offence but a power psychic type like that should have it's Psychic attack broken so easy.

Plus wouldn't you expect it to have a counter to physical attacks? something like Reflect maybe.... But no... Nothing... :s

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
I've found, especially during the Unova arc, that battles were really chunky and inconsistent. To clarify somewhat, I don't think they maintain the 'flow' that battles in previous seasons (even in the Sinnoh arc), had. Battles are either interrupted after most moves by characters who say something rather obvious and pointless or are interrupted after both sides have made their attacks.

I just watched Ash facing Clay and now that you mention it, I think you are totally right... The battles lately are interrupted very often and it kinda destroys the motivation

Back