• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone else want Ash gone and the show to use different protagonist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I would want it, unless they change back to that good old voice actress/actor.

That would be unlikely since The Pokemon Company International now dubs the series and they did bring new VAs with it, plus having some originals return.

But sadly, Veronica won't return any time soon. I do like Sarah Natochenny (Ash's current VA) much better anyway.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
They did? They kept on all the past charactes as minor characters and made them mentors like Izzy and Tai(at least these two felt like the most active mentors), and kept on TK and Kari as mains. Tyson was a main stay on the Blade Breakers... Kenny was there most if not the whole time as well. Having Kai, Max, and Ray go to opposing teams then back to the Breakers I thought was a nice move. I agree with the last part, if they do replace him they did a dynamic figure not just more of the same. Also replacing Pikachu would be interesting as well seeing as he is the company mascot

Well I never saw Tai or Matt in Digimon Tamers or Digimon Frontier. The same goes to Tyson and Kai in Beyblade Metal Fusion.

Mentalii

Back
Years
I want Ash to be more mature. But, Pokémon without him isn't Pokémon anymore. Or, if they really had to change the main protagonist, I'd prefer that Ash's son continue the adventure, or something like that.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Well I never saw Tai or Matt in Digimon Tamers or Digimon Frontier. The same goes to Tyson and Kai in Beyblade Metal Fusion.
That's cause their different series. You said seasons which is not the same as series. Tai and Matt were both in Adventures season 1 and season 2 which they were minor characters to people like Davis and Ken. In Beyblade they had at least three seasons with Tyson and Kenny as the mains in Beyblade, V- Force, and G-Revolution. Whereas Gingka is in Metal Fusion. In Yugioh though I do see that the deviated from characters from each season. But I really didn't see it in the two prior series of Digimon and Beyblade unless they were getting a new series within the series which has no connection at all to the prior characters or world for that part.

I want Ash to be more mature. But, Pokémon without him isn't Pokémon anymore. Or, if they really had to change the main protagonist, I'd prefer that Ash's son continue the adventure, or something like that.
How is Pokemon with out him not Pokemon? It's not as though he is one of the Pokemon himself unless he is an Zoroark and just doesn't know it. I don't see why it has to be direct relation to Ash, it could just be the main protagonist of the newest region when or if they decide to make the change.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
I do, I like things changes and not him and Pikachu. But since he didn't change with Best Wishes, he's here forever.

Pikachu is less annoying now though.

Years
perhaps a different protagonist in every different region would be good
or at least make Red the protagonist oh wait his still in the Mt. Silver D:

NidoJosh

Unleash your inner Nidocity
Years
I posted something about this in another thread
I believe that the Pokemon Franchise has three options.

1) Stick with Ash as a 10 year old
It's worked for this many seasons and he has been promoted a lot.
He is very well known even to people who don't play/watch pokemon.
Him and Pikachu have created a special bond and appeals to the younger generation.

2) Do a "Naruto Shippuden Style" thing and age Ash and make him a far better trainer

I wouldn't mind seeing this.
Get him to set out on a journey.
Possibly back to Kanto to train and then win the Kanto League. - Don't show this. Maybe just his final battle as a little filler thing.
Then he will be a lot more older, mature and appear to the older generation who have stuck with Ash and see him finally succeed.
This however, will only work for a couple of seasons which means that he can finally get get replaced.

3) Do a "YuGiOh GX Style" thing

Replace Ash with a new trainer with a new personality. Maybe have Ash encounter him and give him some tips etc.
Basically it should revive the anime and public interest.

Years
^ I might go with the 3rd option there.

One of Ash's past traveling girls (May or Dawn) would be the new star.

I'd like to see Dawn be the new star since she is very similar to Ash.

Palcks

some nights.
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2012
Hikari10 said:
One of Ash's past traveling girls (May or Dawn) would be the new star.

It'd be cool if it was Max, even.

I don't love Ash, but I like him being the main protagonist. I'm not against a new main person though, as long as it was done well and wasn't hard to get used to. And the new person would have to be their own, not a copy of Ash with some Pokémon that is always there/never evolves/etc.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2019
pokemon special manga > pokemon anime of today. They should really replace the anime with the manga. The should have done it when they started this whole fiction.

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
I'm 25 big Pokemon fan since I was 12ish? Lol honestly team rocket needs to go, add better villains and story arcs. Maybe one of the other "teams" from the other games. Also ash def needs to age, I get the whole young kid fan base blah blah but as someone mentioned I don't think kids today will care. Also he is very dumb and horrible this season very disappointed. Pikachu being beaten by a lvl 5 snivy is insane he at least a lvl 10,000 (sarcasm) (maybe) lol. If anything make a adult version or let's see some actual age changes also I'm tired of him tip toeing around the lea females just date one already! I like him switching to new pokemon but it would be nice to see his old ones more often! That's just my opinions.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
I'm 25 big Pokemon fan since I was 12ish? Lol honestly team rocket needs to go, add better villains and story arcs. Maybe one of the other "teams" from the other games. Also ash def needs to age, I get the whole young kid fan base blah blah but as someone mentioned I don't think kids today will care. Also he is very dumb and horrible this season very disappointed. Pikachu being beaten by a lvl 5 snivy is insane he at least a lvl 10,000 (sarcasm) (maybe) lol. If anything make a adult version or let's see some actual age changes also I'm tired of him tip toeing around the lea females just date one already! I like him switching to new pokemon but it would be nice to see his old ones more often! That's just my opinions.

> Team Rocket hasn't really been viable as a threat, all they have been doing for the first four generations for more or less is setting up as a comic relief. I think the show can find other sources of comic relief that don't involve Team Rocket it. If Team Rocket keeps repeating what they have been doing and is just the same annoying team episode in and out then I agree be done with them already. But if they keep it fresh like they have, and actually add something different to the mix then I think we can have something going for them. Too me they just need to space out their appearances, I think appearing in about every episode like they used to is not the right way to go.

> I don't see why the kids should care either. Maybe the writers feel if they advance him that some kids would miss out on his begins or his noob stages. Well if they want to so that then just watch previous sagas.

> If anything the defeat also goes along with the writers unwillingness to change in that aspect.

> They probably just want to leave some of his stuff such as relationships up to Shipping. Or at least not go in a great deal into the human/human relationships in the show.

> They generally do show his older pokemon in the Regional tournament, so me that is adequate enough. Every generation and the pokemon there need their time to shine so the lack of older ones is a good way to do that until either later on or Filler arc like Battle Frontier.

Houndoomed

Battle Master
Years
I think Paul should have his own spin off, his brother Reggie is cool also, they have great Pokemon and Paul (even though he is a bit nasty) battles to win, I like that.

Zeus

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
Years
I was mad when that idiot Jaden replaced Yugi, but I would start watching Pokemon every week if they would replace him or reboot the anime as Pokemon Adventures.

Houndoomed

Battle Master
Years
Make that a Paul and Barry spin off, and I'm in.

Barry is so annoying, I don't think Paul would put up with him very long. He can hardly stand to be around Ash. Barry would most likely end up a squishy puddle under Ursaring's Hammer arm.

Zeus

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
I was mad when that idiot Jaden replaced Yugi, but I would start watching Pokemon every week if they would replace him or reboot the anime as Pokemon Adventures.

Ehh..the Pharaoh went away at the last episode. They couldn't do anything with the original cast..and not a big fan of the newer show but it's still "Yugioh."

I don't care who cast in Pokemon, Ash or not, it'll still be a joy to watch. Still <3 Misty & May!

Years
  • Seen May 21, 2012
I say no. I thoroughly enjoy watching the Pokemon series, even if Ash is childish/immature/whatever. I still love him and even as I watch him now during the Black/White Victini movies, I wanted to cry cause of all of this nostalgia I was feeling during the movie. No, I'd be very upset if Ash was taken away from the series. Should there be another seperate series, perhaps more serious such as some of the manga? Sure. I wouldn't watch it, but it would definitely make certain people happy.

Edit: My only request is that they get better side characters. I seriously just want to die from all of Cylan's food puns. Ugh. I know Brock was no better sometimes, but still. I guess for some reason I just find him more tolerable. Regarding aging, I don't mind as long as no romance relationships come into play. The ship wars are bad enough as it is already, and it's a kid's show; no dating. Flirting and signs of affection is one thing, but no actual dating and sjd;lfjak;sdjf. Just no. It's not necessarily. I wouldn't mind it in a more serious spin off, but not in the main series.

Years
Ash is ok for the kind of show that pokemon is, but for me the show would have been a lot better if it have followed the Pokemon Special manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back