• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

droomph

weeb
Years
At the risk of sounding a newb, I don't really understand that list.
Well you know how the NDS has a file system, right?

The main directory is numbered (to deter hackers), and so many times you'll see guides telling you to go to \a\0\0\2 or something, and you'll be like WHAAT

Anywho, Start here. Play around with the ROMs, and you'll find some great things in there.

btw start with Diamond or Pearl ^^

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Well you know how the NDS has a file system, right?

The main directory is numbered (to deter hackers), and so many times you'll see guides telling you to go to \a\0\0\2 or something, and you'll be like WHAAT

Anywho, Start here. Play around with the ROMs, and you'll find some great things in there.

btw start with Diamond or Pearl ^^

Thanks, you helped a lot :).

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
I had this idea a little while, but it would be too hard for me. So if you guys wanna try it, go ahead. Basically it would be a hack of all three regions. You would do it with HGSS as kanto and johto are already there, so it just a little scripting editing so you start in kanto and complete it there and go on to johto. And then hoenn to end.

In case I start this in the future, what would be better: Restarting at lvl 5 every time, carrying your Pokemon through or restarting at Hoenn?

droomph

weeb
Years
I had this idea a little while, but it would be too hard for me. So if you guys wanna try it, go ahead. Basically it would be a hack of all three regions. You would do it with HGSS as kanto and johto are already there, so it just a little scripting editing so you start in kanto and complete it there and go on to johto. And then hoenn to end.

In case I start this in the future, what would be better: Restarting at lvl 5 every time, carrying your Pokemon through or restarting at Hoenn?
I think you should just do Hoenn, because Kanto has been featured four times, Johto twice, and Hoenn only once. It would be more original to just do a remake of Hoenn.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024

I'm not 100% sure on how much space a DS ROM has, so I don't know if it would all fit (though, in theory it could be expanded), the only issue I can think of is how will you do the Red battle on Mt. Silver, as you'd be Red...

Whilst we are asking questions, do people like those "crossover" hacks, as in Pokemon and another series (like TV series, other games, etc), just out of curiosity (as I have had a weird click to do a Firefly/Pokemon crossover, I just need to figure it out)?

droomph

weeb
Years
I'm not 100% sure on how much space a DS ROM has.
A DS ROM can technically have 128256KB (although 256 MB is more realistic).
Whilst we are asking questions, do people like those "crossover" hacks, as in Pokemon and another series (like TV series, other games, etc), just out of curiosity (as I have had a weird click to do a Firefly/Pokemon crossover, I just need to figure it out)?
Ah, no. Crossovers is to video games as meat is to vegans.

I cringe and die a little inside when I see a crossover being done. Pokémon should be Pokémon and Runescape should belong to Jagex.

-:-

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2012
Greetings,

After scouring the web for various answers/resources, my journey remains largely unfulfilled. I've even consulted various native threads here in The Community. That said I have only recently joined so if this post isn't concurrent with procedure in any way, I apologize in advance. I would love to say any answers are welcomed but that simply isn't true. There is an abundance of misinformation ravaging the minds of the naturally inquisitive and well-to-do; as a result, if any individuals do seek to respond please offer concise and informed opinions/answers.

Are fourth/fifth generation ROMS capable of modification on Mac OS X 10.6+? System requirements?
To elaborate, I have no desire to create my own game. Moreover, I'd like to acquire any and every item/Pokémon and 'splice' their genes i.e. base stats, EV cap and the like.

If this is feasible, how may I do so? Programs, tools, etc?

I presume that similar questions have been asked; as such, links that detail relevant information are welcome in the event a personal response isn't favorable. Also, if insufficiently answered where may I post this to obtain a more adequate response?

Last edited:

droomph

weeb
Years
Greetings,

After scouring the web for various answers/resources, my journey remains largely unfulfilled. I've even consulted various native threads here in The Community. That said I have only recently joined so if this post isn't concurrent with procedure in any way, I apologize in advance. I would love to say any answers are welcomed but that simply isn't true. There is an abundance of misinformation ravaging the minds of the naturally inquisitive and well-to-do; as a result, if any individuals do seek to respond please offer concise and informed opinions/answers.

Are fourth/fifth generation ROMS capable of modification on Mac OS X 10.6+? System requirements?
To elaborate, I have no desire to create my own game. Moreover, I'd like to acquire any and every item/Pokémon and "splice" their genes i.e. base stats, EV cap and the like.

If this is feasible, how may I do so? Programs, tools, etc?

I presume that similar questions have been asked; as such, links that detail relevant information are welcome in the event a personal response isn't favorable. Also, if insufficiently answered where may I post this to obtain a more adequate response?

NO$GBA and ConsoleTool/Tinke/NDS editor should run fine on Wine/X11, if you have the version with support for .NET 4.0.

Hex Fiend is a great Mac Hex editor, and a Hex editor can edit your ROM straight from the binary.

Pretty much Wine/X11 will cover any need for Windows (unless you really don't want to).

Google is your friend.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2012
NO$GBA and ConsoleTool/Tinke/NDS editor should run fine on Wine/X11, if you have the version with support for .NET 4.0.

Hex Fiend is a great Mac Hex editor, and a Hex editor can edit your ROM straight from the binary.

Pretty much Wine/X11 will cover any need for Windows (unless you really don't want to).

Google is your friend.

Thanks for the prompt response!

Are emulators native to the macintosh OS that much worse? You didn't really entertain the idea of using a program native to the system i.e. ConsoleTool/Tinke/NDS editor. From your statement about ROMs & binary, I gather that editing can occur regardless of generation of Pokémon? Also, no one seems to have an exhaustive collection of information detailing hex-editing the newest generational ROMs, might you be able to suggest such a source? Lastly, as these tasks("acquire any and every...splice") seem fairly simple in comparison to other mods, is hex editing the most efficient means of doing so?

Thanks again

droomph

weeb
Years
Thanks for the prompt response!

Are emulators native to the macintosh OS that much worse? You didn't really entertain the idea of using a program native to the system i.e. ConsoleTool/Tinke/NDS editor. From your statement about ROMs & binary, I gather that editing can occur regardless of generation of Pokémon? Also, no one seems to have an exhaustive collection of information detailing hex-editing the newest generational ROMs, might you be able to suggest such a source? Lastly, as these tasks("acquire any and every...splice") seem fairly simple in comparison to other mods, is hex editing the most efficient means of doing so?

Thanks again

Well there are none except Desmume and that sucks bollocks (NO$GBA has been optimized by the author a lot, and Desmume isn't even complete).

Yes, you can, but then you have to research the ROM file structure, and then that gets a little messy.

And ConsoleTool is a Java applet that runs fine on Mac. Search for "Lowlines" on Google. He's a wonderful guy from the Romhacking.net forums and he's made a couple tools in Java that will run on any system (provided you have the applet).

Seriously though, just get any PC ASAP (I got an old one that still runs on XP from my dad) and that will solve your problems. Trust me. You will still use your Mac for simple hex edits (for research & such), but you'll still need a PC to be able to function correctly.

Last edited:

midwest9285

I am a Pokemon master
Years
Idk if im posting in the wrong thread if I am someone let me know lol. Im also new so don't really know how to use this forum at ALL. But I am making a ROM hack of FR and I'm wanting to do the journey of the character jimmy from the chronicles so its not a remake of any games nor is it based on the anime. So the story is gonna be based on the character jimmy and i already got a lot of the story planned but I am asking if anybody would like to help with the hack? Not help me try to understand things but to help with the hack. I don't really want or have the time to do everything. If anybody would like to help just PM me and tell me what you would like to do in the ROM and ill go into detail more if anybody is interested.

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2012
Don't really shure did I choose right topic but still...

I heard there was a gender bender hack for 4 gen game(Diamond, if I remeber correctly). All charecters were switched gender. Did anyone know how this hack called?

P.S> Sorry for crappy English... I'm not native English speaker

Last edited:

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
I have been around for a good year and I have never hear of any hack that sounds even vaguely like that...

On a unrelated note, anyone want to insert some tiles for me? :bandit:

Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2013
Yes, but you'll have to change some scripts. You simply change the player's room to link to Pallet Town.

But why would you want to do that?
I have a idea for a Pokmeon red 4th gen remake...

Basically, I want to keep it to the orginal as possible, change the tms... Remove the physical/special spilt, redo the base stats... etc...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back