• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Coming Soon: Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (Wii U)

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
DKtropical_freeze01.jpg

Alright, so, if you haven't heard already, another Wii U game that is going to be released on this year is Dokney Kong: Tropical Freeze, a Donkey Kong Game for the Wii U. It'll play similar to Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii U, but, alongside Diddy, it'll have another character: Dixie Kong. You can also attack while underwater with a spin attack, and have a breathing bar right next to their health bar that appears as soon you get in any body of water. And there will be many more gameplay to come. You can see some screenshots below:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

So, what do you think of this game? Do you plan on purchasing it? Why or why not?
...A little fun fact of this game is that the developers thought about either making this, or a Metroid game, but, they decided to make this game. Well, iirc, anyway.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
I might buy it to bring back some nostalgia from the first few donkey kong games. But the first step is trying to convince myself that buying a Wii U will be worth the money.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
...A little fun fact of this game is that the developers thought about either making this, or a Metroid game, but, they decided to make this game. Well, iirc, anyway.
And they have made the best choice.

This game is my game of the year. What? I don't need to play it, it's the sequel to a game I consider a close second to my game of the generation, only this time it'll have Dixie Kong, water levels and DAVID WISE. It was OBVIOUS that it could be my game of the generation, if not of the forever.

Honestly though, this is like my dream game. E3 was disappointing at first (I warmed up to some games afterwards, though) but DKC:TF saved everything. I am extremely excited for it. Not to mention, the music is so god damned good already. David Wise still got it.

Can't wait to see who the fourth playable character is. My mind says Cranky Kong but my heart says King K.Rool. I'll love either of them though. Maybe David Wise could be playable!

Oh, and dat fur. Can't believe this game is out like 4 days after my birthday too. Like god damn, so close. I'll get to hear some of dat David Wise music this year, it's unbelievable.

DID I MENTION DAVID WISE??

TheBigMan0706

Monster hunting Snivy
Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2016
Wait, there's an breathing bar this time? Why add that?! It was good without the worry to breath when you're underwater! Donkey Kong 64 didn't have an air meter (even though Super Mario 64 had an air meter), so why mess with the formula?!

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
Horribly disappointed at this being Retro's "big secret new project." It looks like more of the same with only minor changes/additions, and Nintendo is really lacking in variety right now. So many 2D platformers coming up: New Super Luigi U, Yoshi's New Island, Yarn Yoshi, Mario 3D World (it's basically a 2D platformer with some 3D elements)...I really think they could have had Retro doing something other than a new DKC game to add to that list. :/

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll be a good game, but I was really hoping for a new IP (or revival of an old IP), or at least another Metroid game from Retro.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Wait, there's an breathing bar this time? Why add that?! It was good without the worry to breath when you're underwater! Donkey Kong 64 didn't have an air meter (even though Super Mario 64 had an air meter), so why mess with the formula?!
Because DK64 sucked big time.

In seriousness though, DKC, DKCR in particular, are very fast paced and dynamic games and in the original trilogy the water levels always broke the flow. DKC2 had the right idea in that the levels were designed to get you tensed up and alert to hurry up. But that resulted in only having 4 water levels, due to the lack of variety, so might as well not have them and instead design better levels.
There's a reason they were removed in DKCR and it's because of that. Though looks like they had the right idea now, as the ability to attack and the inclusion of the air meters allow the designers to not be limited in the level design. These two features allow the water level to be tense, alert and dynamic, complementing the normal levels nicely without breaking the flow like the way the original water levels did.

It's also the same reason why the only animal buddy that returned was Rambi. All the others broke the flow and pace due to how slow they were. Rambi was the only one whose purpose was to keep going and wreck stuff which complemented the flow of the game nicely. Though with the water levels being back I can see Enguarde coming back too as he is basically Rambi except underwater.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
It's also the same reason why the only animal buddy that returned was Rambi. All the others broke the flow and pace due to how slow they were. Rambi was the only one whose purpose was to keep going and wreck stuff which complemented the flow of the game nicely. Though with the water levels being back I can see Enguarde coming back too as he is basically Rambi except underwater.

I did like Rambi the best. Enguarde was okay underwater, and Winky? Well, I just didn't understand.
Anyways, I hope that there will be more levels with new animal helpers. Maybe they'll only put Rambi again, which is fine, buuut I'd like to see new variety. D:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
My guess would be that the intention is not to have an entire level underwater, but rather that you'd kinda hop in and out in a mixed level. Kinda like DKC2.

From what we've seen the water stages look a bit more action oriented - like Jungle Beat, rather than DKC

Back