• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Game Ending With Elite Four

How to end the game

• Total voters
Years
It's important to remember that the credits, for many people, are the 'end' of the game. Therefore, you shouldn't put credits after the League if the rest of the plot isn't finished (and vice versa). What I'd recommend is making the completion of the League and the rest of the major events necessary for a final 'ending' section of the game-a final arc, basically. After that is over, run the credits.

This can be the final confrontation with the villain, a rival battle, gaining access to a Legendary (like Mewtwo in R/B) or Final Boss Trainer (Red in S/G), plot conclusion scene, or anything else you want. What's most important is that the credits don't roll until all major parts of the game are finished. Anything else, and you risk having players leave after the credits without finishing the other parts of the game.

Of course, it's fine to have things unlock after the game is over (Make sure you clue the player in somehow. This can be a post-credits cutscene or simple message appearing on screen.). It's also fine to leave side quests unfinished. Just don't let them miss the key components.

Ss4gogeta0

Game Designer
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I prefer the game ending in the style of G/S/C... where the Elite Four isnt the last obstical you must overcome... because it just seems so anti climatic to end after you beat a handful of strong people after just finally leveling up your pokemon...

Years
In normal Pokemon games I prefer the game to end with the Elite Four. In rom hacks it depends on whether or not the objective is for the trainer to become the champion of the Pokemon League!

Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2021
Personally I'd like to see (and am going to try and create) a game where the story arc ends before you beat the E4, and then another major story arc starts upon becoming the "champion". (In my case it's going to be a powerful secret organisation whom you reject... etc.)

Years
  • Seen Apr 15, 2012
It depends on what the main focus of the plot has been. If it was the gym battles, then defeating the Champion, and/or perhaps going off to find them in another place to fight them (again), a la Red in G/S/C, I think is a good ending. If the game has a different plot and the gyms are just there because it is too bothersome to remove them or they are more like a sidequest to be done, then the ending of the game should be at the end of the plot line, with or without cliffhangers depending on personal choice.

ROBO-BOY

The Monkey Man
Years
Honestly, if I made a game I'd make it properly, with the Tournament, then the Elite 4. But I would squeeze one more event in between those two. One final legendary battle!. Then take on the Elite 4. I would end the game with you being declared champion back in your hometown and your rival trying to steal the tital off you with the most fierce, powerful, passionate, breathtaking battle the two of you had ever had.

...but that's just me XD

Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2013
I know I'm late, so pardon my necro but I believe that after the Championship you should have 2 Uber final trainers to battle(that can be rematched just as with Red). One is your Rival, the other should be an unrelated trainer(either a past-Gen Champ or a new custom trainer) one who battles you in your home town, the other on top of a 5-12 floor tower(or other dungeon)

Years
Meh, it depends on the storyline. If it makes more sense to fight the Elite Four, then the Evil team, then that is what should be done. However, if the Evil Team is at the forefront of the storyline and/or gameplay, then make that the endgame. (thanks djonthe1st for making a necropost before me, I don't feel as bad now).

Back