• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Gym Types/Puzzles/Appearance Speculation

Magykx

It's too cold for you here.
Years
Ghost type should be the 8th Gym, and I think we've fought enough Dragon type gym leaders already, but I don't really care about facing another one. Water should be second, like in Gen 2, and Ground/Rock should be 7th.

Basically, let the more stronger types be faced earlier on in the game, while have the more underrated types be faced later on in the game, to give them a chance to see what they're really like in higher levels, if that makes sense.

I agree that Ghost and Ground/Rock should be at the end. I believe especially Ghost would be a challenge as a finishing gym battle.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Merging this with the other thread about Gym Leaders.

All I ask for is a Dark-type Gym Leader, and preferably for it to be one of the later gyms in the games.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I agree that Ghost and Ground/Rock should be at the end. I believe especially Ghost would be a challenge as a finishing gym battle.

Rock wouldn't really be challenging. Dark would imo, but ghost would seem too light-hearted to me. While rock is hard and powerful I just don't see it as a way to end a gym series, and I think it'd be more like Fighting tbh.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
How about Steel or electric? Electric has only one weakness which will make it difficult, especially if they give the gym leader's pokemon water moves.

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
I'm not sold on Rock not being challenging, it's probably one of the better types offensively but I guess it does have the drawback of having 2 starter types weak to it and being a poor defense type in general and defense is usually more important than offense when it comes to gym leaders since you're usually going to be having higher levels [one reason why Dragon is such a potent challenge in E4/Gyms, it's great offensively and defensively. In all honesty though it really depends on the Pokemon, Normal is probably the worst type by far but Whitney and Lenora have 2 of the most challenging gyms since Miltank and Watchog just wreck shop.

Twilight Sky said:
Water should be second, like in Gen 2, and Ground/Rock should be 7th.

Gen 2 has a bug type gym 2nd and an Ice Type 7th ?_?

Last edited:

Years
I think Twilight mixed up the water gym in gen 1 with gen 2 xD

A early water gym would be good, however I'll like it if Water would take a break for the next two gens (not counting possible remakes to 3 and 4). Another ground gym however would be awesome, I love that time.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
No rock gyms unless they're creative, I really hate the same old miner theme. Maybe a Fire gym? We haven't seen a real one since HGSS. And dark type yes yes. I would love it.

I also want a gym, probs Electric or Steel, to have a steampunk theme. JUST SO MUCH WIN TO BE HAD THERE GF.

Years
Well actually the Rock gyms have had slightly different themes, Gen 1st being fossils, Gen III's being a school (well the gym leader's a teacher, the gym isn't really school like) in a hometown of the champion (Rs) who likes stones, Gen IV's being a miner.

I'll like a Fire Gym too, however hopefully it won't be close to a volcano like the other two fire gyms as it'll seem less original.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I wouldn't mind another volcano-based fire gym. Unless I guess it was a mix of two gyms, fire/water, and found in a forest, with trees on fire around you?? Damn that'd be an awesome gym ahaha.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I feel like the problem with Rock gyms is that they have always been first, where most of the time your starter can just clean house. It would be cool to have a later Rock Gym where there's actually dual types available other than Rock/Ground so it would be able to actually do something to a wider variety of types and actually have some resistances.

shubham2207

Lone Wolf
Years
Well u said...

Take an example of gen 1

brock's geodude vs player's bulbasaur

obviously bulbasaur will win cuz b4 15 lvl, it learns vinewhip.

Now, 8th gym of rock

brock's golem vs players venusaur

who is gotta win, venusaur, cuz at lvl 45, it learns razor leaf and it will ohko it.

Don't think that if golem is gonna get powerful, so is go
nna venusaur.

Basically, what i m trying to tell is whatever position the ground/rock is in, it is weak.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
That actually gives me an idea... why not combine rock/ground into just one gym at a later point? :3

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
That's the point I was trying to make with Rock having dual-types. It doesn't have to be a dual-typed gym (although I do agree that's a cool idea in and of itself), but there are Pokémon who have dual-typing that giving it some resistances to the starters (Rock/Steel and Rock/Flying for Grass, Rock/Water for Water).

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Well u said...

Take an example of gen 1

brock's geodude vs player's bulbasaur

obviously bulbasaur will win cuz b4 15 lvl, it learns vinewhip.

Now, 8th gym of rock

brock's golem vs players venusaur

who is gotta win, venusaur, cuz at lvl 45, it learns razor leaf and it will ohko it.

Don't think that if golem is gonna get powerful, so is go
nna venusaur.

Basically, what i m trying to tell is whatever position the ground/rock is in, it is weak.
But you see, at that point in the game Brock would have been able to have something better than Golem, like an Aggron or something.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
He's making the point that if the Rock gym were later in the games (and specifically the new ones where these Pokémon exist), than there would be Rock dual-types that would be able to handle the starter's types more effectively. Of course, at that point you'll have a bigger team as well to handle it, but that can be said for any type of Gym that is later in the games.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
He's making the point that if the Rock gym were later in the games (and specifically the new ones where these Pokémon exist), than there would be Rock dual-types that would be able to handle the starter's types more effectively. Of course, at that point you'll have a bigger team as well to handle it, but that can be said for any type of Gym that is later in the games.
I'm a she, man.

But yeah that's what I'm saying.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
We only got 2 Steel gyms so far one being in Gen 2 and the other in Gen 4.

Yeah with this being sixth possibly it might appear again. If so I think they'd probably be later on in the game because steel doesn't seem like an easy kind of thing to take down early.

Back