• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Legendary Pokemon - Xerneas and Yveltal

Which do you prefer?

• Pokemon X

Votes: 148 34.6%
  • Pokemon Y

Votes: 192 44.9%
  • Both

Votes: 88 20.6%

• Total voters

Guy

just a guy
Years
I never totally wrapped my head around the eagle speculation for Yveltal. To me, it has always been more reminiscent between the mix of the vulture family and a Phoenix, especially when we first saw it in the video.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Something I'm just now noticing...Yveltal has a fluffy collar around his lower neck, a collar very similar to that of condor, vulture, and buzzards. So...I can't see him as an eagle as he's speculated to be. Even his beak seem similar to those three.

Its not gonna be an exact representation of what its based on, otherwise its not a Pokemon.

The reason why it has a vulture look along with the more threatening design and the creepy veins like patterns, might be that it is also supposed to embody a death-related theme in contrast to Xerneas' who could be about life.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Its not gonna be an exact representation of what its based on, otherwise its not a Pokemon.

The reason why it has a vulture look along with the more threatening design and the creepy veins like patterns, might be that it is also supposed to embody a death-related theme in contrast to Xerneas' who could be about life.

Ya I agree with that. Plus generally I just get the same sort of feeling as I get with Mandibuzz overall, which was that it was evil and is related to bad. The vein stuff just kind of cements it tbh.

Years
This is my official prediction in what each of their types is going to be:

Xerneas: Electric/Dark (the rainbow lights on its antlers point to Electric, while the color scheme for the rest of its body makes me think Dark). However it could also be just plain Electric, Electric/Grass (as we saw it in a forest and its a deer), or even Electric/Ice (as it reminds me of a reindeer, especially with those Christmas light antlers)

Yveltal: Dragon/Fighting (its obviously inspired by a dragon of some sort and I event saw somewhere that its name could come from Wyvern). The Fighting subtype is a guess based on the fact that its wings and tail have giant finger-like protrusions that could roll up into fists and pack one hell of a punch. However, it could also be a Dark type judging by the overall dark color scheme.

i think Yveltal is the one who will be Dark/Electric type while Xerneas will be Normal/Steel. But it would be very interesting if one of them has a Ghost/Steel as type combined with levitate ability

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
A Normal/Steel legend, really? That would be... quite the disappointing typing.

Electric/Dark and Flying/Dark sound good to me. Would be interesting if both legends were part dark - possible plot device?

Guy

just a guy
Years
A Normal/Steel legend, really? That would be... quite the disappointing typing.

Electric/Dark and Flying/Dark sound good to me. Would be interesting if both legends were part dark - possible plot device?
I agree, to give Xerneas a typing like Normal/Steel would seem quite bland. Not to mention, it'll have a terrible weakness against Fighting types. I personally can't stop thinking it may end up Grass/Steel or Grass/Psychic though.

However, the two mascots sharing a typing, Dark as you mentioned, wouldn't be out of the question. The number of mascots that already share the Dragon type together has truthfully gone overboard. Shared Dark-types would be a welcome change in my opinion.

sρεcтяα

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I like both of them - they appeal to me a lot more than Reshiram and Zekrom did, although not quite as much as Dialga and Palkia - although I can't take Xerneas seriously...it just looks too much like the forest spirit from Princess Mononoke. Every time I see it, the drums start pounding in my head. I'll almost certainly be naming it "A****aka" when I get it.

Yveltal has an interesting design, but to be honest my interest in it will die completely if it turns out to be yet another dragon-type, because I am absolutely sick to death of dragon legendaries. I'd like to see a more interesting type combination for it...one that doesn't involve being a dragon.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Im still convinced they won't do fancy dual types on mascots.

Not yet...

I mean, there is no need for them to resort to exotic combos for the main legendaries.

Think about it.

All they did in the past 5 generations (thats 11 epic legendaries) was go for ONE ELEMENTAL TYPE
Every single one of these that was dual typed, was either
-Flying for common sense
-Dragon for epicness.

Psychic / Flying
Fire / Flying

Ground
Water
Dragon / Flying

Water / Dragon
Steel / Dragon
Ghost / Dragon

Dragon / Fire
Dragon / Electric
Dragon / Ice

And with
1. there still being plenty of types left that werent personified on a game cover yet
2. Yveltal highly likely to be another /Flying anyway

I'm very confident they'll both embody just one type we haven't seen yet.

Xerneas could turn out to be plenty of things, from pure Psychic to pure Steel...but my bet is still on pure Grass
And Yveltal screams Dark, so Dark/Flying until I see any reason to think otherwise.

I want to remind everyone that the Musketeers are forest-dwellers(iirc?) but none of them are grass-types, so maybe Yveltal isn't a grass type at all~!

Eh, two of them are found in caves...in BW2 all three are found in the middle of roads basically..
They have a special relation to a moor in the northwest.

Xerneas stands in front of a forest of huge trees in the trailer, and if they do represent life and death, Grass is the most "life" type I can think off.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2013
Lol, almost everybody wants Yveltal, but i want Xerneas. Grass for the win! (And if it isn't grass, then still, any of his other possible types, like psychic and steel are also pretty awesome) Also, a pure normal type legendary would be awesomeness..

Last edited:
Years
Why have I not posted here yet?

I have to say I do love the designs of these two, Xerneas' antlers are extremely colorful and Yveltal just looks plain badass. I've been fangirling over them already, alongside the starters.

However, as for their types I could see Xerneas being Steel/Psychic (it sorta looks metallic) while Yveltal probably would be Dark/Flying. I just don't imagine Xerneas looking like a Grass-type.

jov0006

Beygimon! Gotta let it rip!
Years
Xerneas' origin

I was reading random poems by Jean de la Fontaine when I encountered one called: 'The Stag Who Saw Himself In a Reflection'. Anyhow, it looked a lot like Xerneas so i thought that maybe pokemon based xerneas of a french stag?

Then I found this on the net:
4947676896_f9d51c21b1_z.jpg

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I think maybe they took the stag as the physical basis of the design, but then obviously stags aren't blue with rainbow dots, so they probably took another element from somewhere else and combined the two. ^^

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Or the blue could just be their own creativity, or to represent Sapphire (aka what'll likely follow after these games - it's how I took it at least :x)

Ace.

Love Yourself
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 29, 2015
I prefer Xerneas more but I'm really liking Yveltal more and more :3 I thought he looked weird on the trailer but on the other pic he looks really cool.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Xerneas is the 4 stags of yggdrasil in one.

Thats why it has 4 antlers with a colour each.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
About the types: What would you think their types would be? Judging from Yveltal's name origins, it is most likely to be part Dark type, but its just an assumption. Xerneos could be a Psychic type, he looks like he could be, but it is also an assumption.

Back