• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokérus & Other Illnesses?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
As you recall, The Pokérus from "Pokémon virus", is a microscopic life-form that may attach to Pokémon, first appearing in the Generation II games. Usually the chances of a pokemon catching the pokerus is quite rare, but when it does, the pokemon will grow very well (It will gain double EVs if I can recall).

With speculations that the theme of biology will be apparent in Pokemon X & Y, how do you think Pokérus will play out? Will pokerus become more frequent? Become rarer? Stay the same percentage? How long should a pokemon be affected by Pokérus? Do you think that they can change Pokérus's effects and perhaps provide new bonuses for EV training, or other things?

Also, look - do you think Pokerus be researched further, or play a big role in these games? From biology, Pokérus is an example of a mutualistic virus (something that ironically doesn't give negative effects), in which both host and virus benefit. Viruses with possible positive effects exist in the real world, but all of Pokérus's known effects are objectively positive. Other than the fact that the nurses in pokemon centers explains that Pokérus is a small life form that infects the pokemon and make them grow well, there isn't much more to say about that. It has quite a mysterious factor. Do you think that with the possible theme of genetics or biology in these games, could its origins be finally be explained?

Another thing, because of Pokérus, it's now known that pokemon can be effected by effects from viruses or other bacteria. If that's the case, do you think that there can be more illnesses? What types of illnesses could there be in X&Y? How frequent would a pokemon catch these viruses? How can pokemon be affected by possible new illnesses? Could there be new in-game bonuses from potential illnesses? For instance, since a pokemon can catch an 'infection' from life forms, could it be possible for a pokemon to catch a cold, or get a stomach ache? Or maybe any other minor illnesses? Maybe because of these viruses, their EXP can double? Could their attack be temporarily lowered or raised?

Well, that's just to bounce some ideas, but feel free to share other thoughts as well!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
It won't change. GF wants to control its rarity still.

Cyclone

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
It won't change. GF wants to control its rarity still.

Cyclone

But how can you be so sure? I don't think GF nonchalantly talks about percentages and other stuff like that. Besides, it's not like GF hasn't done stuff like decrease or increase the chances of something happening before.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, just wondering.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
If anything, they increase the numerator by one. They likely wouldn't do more than that. It's still going to be rare.

Granted, I've seen it twice in my career. But I've also seen two Shinies.

Cyclone

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Ah! The Pokérus! Something that is very rare and will probably continue to be very rare in Pokémon games, this also includes Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.

So will there be more illnesses? Well that surely would be interesting to see something like a Pokéteria in the game as a bacteria that can give positive effects, well we know that every animal has bacteria that gives positive effects much more commonly than viruses that give positive effects, and it could be the same for Pokémon as well. If a Pokéteria was introduced, it could give some effects in battle, such as preventing status ailments like poisoning, sleeping, paralysis or confusion. And probably getting the Pokéteria should be just as low in percentage as getting the Pokérus.

I'm also thinking that there really should be some other newer illnesses that give negative effects, like making some EVs going half from what they should and all that, maybe the Pokérus could be added to have either a positive or negative effect? That would give it a more realistic feel to it.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
What about other potential illnesses?

Ah! The Pokérus! Something that is very rare and will probably continue to be very rare in Pokémon games, this also includes Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.

So will there be more illnesses? Well that surely would be interesting to see something like a Pokéteria in the game as a bacteria that can give positive effects, well we know that every animal has bacteria that gives positive effects much more commonly than viruses that give positive effects, and it could be the same for Pokémon as well. If a Pokéteria was introduced, it could give some effects in battle, such as preventing status ailments like poisoning, sleeping, paralysis or confusion. And probably getting the Pokéteria should be just as low in percentage as getting the Pokérus.

I'm also thinking that there really should be some other newer illnesses that give negative effects, like making some EVs going half from what they should and all that, maybe the Pokérus could be added to have either a positive or negative effect? That would give it a more realistic feel to it.

Pokéteria, huh? Actually, I imagine that can be the specific subject that certain scientists in X&Y could be studying - potential harmful and positve effects of illnesses that can be related to pokerus..
I'm not so sure about how bacteria can prevent status conditions though; but that would be cool~

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
I don't see any other illnesses in the game since Pokerus is as rare as it gets, but it would be a nice idea for Pokerus to have an impact on the storyline, I don't know... maybe something similar to Pokemon X.D.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Ever since Gen II, very little has ever been said about Pokérus, and truthfully, one won't actually know about it until one of their Pokémon happens to catch it; which as we all know is quite a rare occurrence.

Seeing as X and Y may likely have something to do with DNA and genetics, I think it'd be a great idea to expand on the history of Pokérus and give us some more insight on where it possibly originated from? What causes it allow our Pokémon to grow so well? Things like that. Just more information on what has been so nebulous to us for so long other than knowing what it can do.

I don't think the rarity of the Pokérus should be changed though. It's like the saying goes, "Why fix something if it ain't broke?" And vaporeon7 raises a point, with Wi-Fi trade and preserving the virus in our PC Boxes, Pokérus has been made much easier to obtain and spread.

Not so sure about Pokéteria. If something like that were to arise, then it can greatly affect the metagame. Keeping the percentage low wouldn't matter, because with the use of Wi-Fi and trading, it'll spread pretty quickly to other players.

Truthfully, with items such as the Macho Brace, Power Anklet, etc., etc., the need for a new virus a la Pokérus has become unnecessary really. And I think adding in a virus that can negate or do the opposite of the Pokérus could be frustrating to some who are earnestly trying to build a well structured team for competitive battling.

Kaisersaur

Veteran
Years
It's an interesting idea, though if something like an ilness is going to wreck your pokemon, I think it would have to be something "easy" to cure, maybe even storyline relevant.

I think that there should be an item that could give your pokemon the pokerus or maybe another virus to do what the ev cleaning berries do, but instead of 10 ev's at a time, maybe all of them in just one go.
After all right now it's not really hard to get a pokemon with pokerus taking in count trading or transfering pokemon from older versions.

In my opinion if they do something like that it would be either to reduce the utility of berries or to complement whatever they're not doing.

That's just how I see it

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I like the idea of expanding on the history of PokeRus. Perhaps the professor is even studying it, and its effects on Pokemon and offers to share it with you, and for you to discover more about it? I mean it would make for something kinda interesting if there is in fact more to PokeRus and having it helps you discover what else it can do.

Years
I think if they were to change anything, it would be that pokerus sticks onto your pokemon longer than usual. I say this because it's one thing for Game Freak to make it easier to get shiny pokemon, which are in know way better than other pokemon, but it's another thing for them to make it a lot easier for you to get an EV booster on your pokemon. Plus, I like that it's so rare I almost never think of it when playing, and then if/when I catch it, it's an amazing surprise. So I doubt they will change the encounter rate, and don't want them to.

Ooh, but new viruses? What I'd love is a virus that would lower all of a pokemon's stats by 1 stat lowerer, (I don't really know how to say what I'm trying to say so for attack like the opposite of howl? (and then that for the other stats) D;) and HP would be halved. This virus could be cured by something common like a full heal, but if you had your pokemon tough it out, and if you gained a lot of levels while having it, it could after you lose the virus... maybe for each level gained it could multiply each stat by 1.2 or something. (or more? I'm not sure). But then of course the virus would wear off after a couple days on it's own. It'd be like a, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" kind of a thing.

Okay sorry for the paragraph! XD But if this was a thing it'd be awesome in my opinion. (And it'd make for an awesome challenge!)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think if they were to change anything, it would be that pokerus sticks onto your pokemon longer than usual. I say this because it's one thing for Game Freak to make it easier to get shiny pokemon, which are in know way better than other pokemon, but it's another thing for them to make it a lot easier for you to get an EV booster on your pokemon. Plus, I like that it's so rare I almost never think of it when playing, and then if/when I catch it, it's an amazing surprise. So I doubt they will change the encounter rate, and don't want them to.

Same here, I hope it is longer than 24 hours or w/e it is. Maybe if it lasted like a week, which is the normal length of how long a virus usually is in real life and it'd give the trainer more time to notice that they actually have PokeRus, and not discover it ages later when looking through stats. >___>

Oh also! A date PokeRus was first encountered on each Pokemon would be a useful feature to track down when you got it imo.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
they should make some new viruses. maybe one that only effects breeding. like if the baby pokemon was going to inherit one of that pokemons stats, it actually gets that stat flawless. they could make one for each stat but it can only get one (plus the normal pokerus) and it will be permanant

Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2013
staying the same . EVs have it too easy now with Join Avenue having them for sale.

Years
  • Seen Aug 19, 2023
plus the normal pokerus and it will be permanant

Then we would have a completely OP pokemon that would kill anything. But the fact that pokerus is very rare it possibly could balance out. Even though it would get better stats i'm could balance out. Who knows,its gamefreak... we know how they can be :\...

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
Then we would have a completely OP pokemon that would kill anything. But the fact that pokerus is very rare it possibly could balance out. Even though it would get better stats i'm could balance out. Who knows,its gamefreak... we know how they can be :\...

sorry, i didn't mean the normal pokerus would be permanent, just the iv pokerus

Back