• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Mythos

Matsjo

How Does I Pokéballer
Years
Pokémon Mythos (Complete Design) *now with Fairies!*

Pokémon Mythos

by Matsjo

Hello there everyone!

Welcome to Pokémon Mythos, essentially a non-canon Pokémon game for the Nintendo DS, set in the distant Poképast. The Archea Region is very different from anything you've ever experienced in a Pokémon game, and the story, progression and design decisions I've put into it will surely surprise and delight you. For your enjoyment I've decided to put all the design I've worked out so far here in this very thread so you can think along with my process and perhaps even offer suggestions should they come to you. Whether or not I'll develop Mythos into a working game (for any medium) depends on whether or not I can come to grips with RMXP, and after that on whether or not I can enlist the help of budding or experienced spriters, musicians, testers and collaborators. We'll see. In any case: enjoy reading through these ideas of mine.

Under each of the following Spoilers there are sections of the Design Document that I've setup thusfar for the hypothetical Pokémon Mythos game. All the overarching design decisions are pretty much in place, and only need further elaboration to be complete; they should give a good idea of what to expect. I've added the complete PokéDex proposal mostly sorted by primary Type, and you'll find a few suggested moves further down as well. I've attached the AbilityDex as an attachment to this thread. Be forewarned: many Pok''emon have been altered, these instances are not mistakes but conscious decisions with solid reasoning behind them. One final note: the language of the chapters all sound as if the game's already been made or something; that's just how I write, disregard that stylistic element.

If you have any questions, comments or whatever else I'll be happy to shed some light where I can; so don't be shy.

1. Introduction
Spoiler:

2. Setting
Spoiler:

3. World
Spoiler:

4. Game Play
Spoiler:

5. Pokémon
Spoiler:

6. Combat
Spoiler:

7. Design
Spoiler:

8. Diversions
Spoiler:

9. Multiplayer
Spoiler:

10. PokéDex, AbilityDex, MoveDex & ItemDex
Massive Update Madness!!!

I've removed the old PokéDex and replaced it with pretty-much the final version! 269 Pokémon made the cut, have a look at this.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 19, 2013
I love me some pancakes. Also, the story sounds interesting and original. Good luck!

Arma

The Hyena
Years
I like how everything is well thought out, however, do you have the skills to realize your ideas? Implementing multiplayer will be really difficult.. also will you be using essentials for rmxp or or another tool/language?

Ill be keeping an eye on this, this looks promising, I just hope you aren't being over ambitious.

Matsjo

How Does I Pokéballer
Years
Updated the PokéDex up to #38 with all Normal Pokés.

do you have the skills to realize your ideas?

Ill be keeping an eye on this, this looks promising, I just hope you aren't being over ambitious.

No I do not; I stated in my intro-text that I don't have the ability to make this; Mythos is most likely destined to remain only a concept unless people find themselves inspired. I put this up because it's otherwise just sitting on my hard drive untouched, while here it might at least provide an interesting read. If anybody comes forward with enthusiasm I'd spring into action as well.

Also, I wouldn't greatly mind lacking multiplayer but, when imagining, I always tend to go all-in. Thank you for your kind words and interest.

Matthias

Last edited:
Years
This is an interesting read. I like a lot of the ideas in here very much, particularly the changes to mechanics like base stats, IVs and power gauge.

The only thing I don't like is the idea of reducing the selection by so much. I would agree with removing legendaries, and I could see the removal of modern monsters like porygon and magnemite, and silly designs like vanilluxe, as well as exact clones like Tauros/Bouffalant, but a big part of picking a pokemon to have on my team is its aesthetics, and I would worry that reducing the selection by such a large amount would reduce the options in this respect.
For instance each gen has its default rodent clone, but I would want the option to have any of them, because I prefer Furret, and the next guy might prefer raticate.

Do you have any ideas for ways to get rid of the leveling problem. Like when you have an important battle, the outcome of the battle can often be determined by how high a level your team is in comparison to the enemy. I know a game is designed so that you're going to be about the right level when you face certain people, but if you go and train a bit more so you are a bit over leveled then it makes the battle a lot easier. It just doesnt feel right. I cannot think of a way around this apart from getting rid of the leveling system altogether and doing something else. Any ideas?

Matsjo

How Does I Pokéballer
Years
Updated the PokéDex up to #52 with all Flying Pokés.

This is an interesting read. I like a lot of the ideas in here very much, particularly the changes to mechanics like base stats, IVs and power gauge.

That's nice to read, much obliged!

The only thing I don't like is the idea of reducing the selection by so much. I would agree with removing legendaries, and I could see the removal of modern monsters like porygon and magnemite, and silly designs like vanilluxe, as well as exact clones like Tauros/Bouffalant, but a big part of picking a pokemon to have on my team is its aesthetics, and I would worry that reducing the selection by such a large amount would reduce the options in this respect.
For instance each gen has its default rodent clone, but I would want the option to have any of them, because I prefer Furret, and the next guy might prefer raticate.

There's of course no particular reason to stick to about 250 Pokémon, I chose it because it seems like a manageable number and allows me to build up a balanced Pokédex that doesn't have a massive overrepresentation of--in this case--Normal Pokémon. As you say; for what has traditionally been a 'default rodent' there's no true distinguishing feature between Rattata, Zigzagoon, Bidoof, Patrat or Furret; the difference is aesthetics once I'm free to change abilities and stats. I chose those I chose to achieve more or less a balance: Zigzagoon is supposed to be bulkier and slightly more defensive where Patrat is the aggressor. Otherwise the choice was based on design, which brings me to the true question here: 'should I include every reasonable option in the Pokédex? I mean, I'm sure there are people that lóve Farfetch'd or Jynx, while I'd choose to leave those out. In this case I think it's preferable to make a selection as long as it provides a good balance overall. But I definitely agree it's an issue and that this is an imperfect response. I'm very pleased you bring it up in any case.

Do you have any ideas for ways to get rid of the leveling problem. Like when you have an important battle, the outcome of the battle can often be determined by how high a level your team is in comparison to the enemy. I know a game is designed so that you're going to be about the right level when you face certain people, but if you go and train a bit more so you are a bit over leveled then it makes the battle a lot easier. It just doesnt feel right. I cannot think of a way around this apart from getting rid of the leveling system altogether and doing something else. Any ideas?

I don't know of a way to get rid of this problem completely, but I do have a couple of suggestions to reduce its severity: 1. players can't use Items during battle; this blocks Potion-stalling 2. enemy trainers have balanced teams with decent coverage and 3. enemy trainer's Pokémon are programmed with threatening move pools, often with moves that the player won't get until later; this keeps you on your toes and puts you at risk of a surprise move. In addition this should limit stupid-move-loops as much as possible. Keeping the battle style on Set instead of Shift also helps. Finally, the Power Gauge system makes sweeping entire teams way harder in most cases due to the cost of powerful moves. A single Flamethrower shot might cost 8PP, so after three uses you'd have to Pass or switch out to keep up the pressure, providing for more leeway and risking an unfortunate switch. Overlevelling will continue to be a factor, but at least it means that any player should be able to move ahead with the game after a little more preparation.

As an additional note; key battles should feature enemies that are programmed with distinct strategies to win; perhaps by using a Trick Room team, or a Baton Passer (now called Safe Swap for reasons); they can be very powerful as long as the player gets the ability to appropriately prepare (such as by having a Pokémon with Sand Trap--now called Detain--to block switches at the right time). Those are suggestions, but can help shift the focus away from overwhelming power and towards a clever approach.

Woah, that got up to a lot of words fast. Much thanks for your reasoned response!

Matsjo

How Does I Pokéballer
Years
Updated the PokéDex up to #122 with all Grass & Ice Pokémon.

In addition I'm sort of a bind, I've come across a question that I'm unable to properly answer, so I could use your help. I've been writing all these Pokémon with a maximum of 2 possible Abilities in mind, so Pokémon have either 1 or 2 Abilities. But who's to say they should have a maximum of 2; why not 3? Working with 2 Abilities gave me a clear contrast between 2 different 'styles' of the same Pokémon, but it might not be too difficult to write in third (or second) Abilities for Pokémon, what do you think?

Matthias

Ęℓαчиıı

Blizzagon used Arctic Claw!
Years
You have a very planned out Pokédex.
I like that.

Given some specific details and perhaps a reference image or two, I can do the art for Soleon. If you don't have an image, I could whip one up. Either way, good luck with this! I see some serious potential here.

Matsjo

How Does I Pokéballer
Years
Updated the PokéDex up to #138 with all Fighting Pokémon. I think I'll put up some Abilities and some examples of moves until I continue with Poison, Ground etc.

You have a very planned out Pokédex.
I like that.

Given some specific details and perhaps a reference image or two, I can do the art for Soleon. If you don't have an image, I could whip one up. Either way, good luck with this! I see some serious potential here.

You are far too kind, thanks a lot.

When looking around for some images for a suitable Soleon I actually stumbled across this gem of an image (having trouble finding the name of the creator though):

Edit: found a regular size; see the spoiler tags for the full image with all Eeveelutions. Does anyone know who made these?
tumblr_lzq5wozq4Q1rpzdwko1_500.png

Spoiler:

Can you improve on this with a more fearsome pose, sleeker ears and mane?

In any case, I feel incredibly flattered you'd make the offer.

Last edited:

Matsjo

How Does I Pokéballer
Years
I added the AbilityDex as an attachment; the wording isn't all that outsider friendly, but I hope they get the point across. I have a lot of interactions between moves and certain Abilities in mind, so keep that in mind.

Next stop will be putting up some basic moves for your perusal.

Edit; what the heck, I added the Poison entries anyway, wasn't so much work.

I was working on a normal eevee evolution based off that one you could use o3o

I can't find it on your project thread, where can i have a look at it? Many thanks in any case.

Last edited:

Matsjo

How Does I Pokéballer
Years
Updated the PokéDex up to #260. It's mostly done!

Have a look at the AbilityDex that's attached as well, and check out a couple of the sample moves below 6. Combat.

One conundrum I've bumped into is what to do with Escavalier. I really think he should be in there, but seeing as there's no trade evolution, I don't have a way to interact with Shelmet properly to simulate the bodily transfer. In additon; Accelgor would be another Bug/Ghost type and I think Shedinja is enough for that niche.

What do you think?

Last edited:

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2016
Uh, I see that nobody has posted for a long time, and almost a month has passed (but not really), so I'll take the opportunity to keep this thread going.

Have you been on a long break? How's progress going? I feel rather concerned here...

Once you get back, continue to work on this, before another month passes, and the thread dies.

Matsjo

How Does I Pokéballer
Years
Uh, I see that nobody has posted for a long time, and almost a month has passed (but not really), so I'll take the opportunity to keep this thread going.

Have you been on a long break? How's progress going? I feel rather concerned here...

Once you get back, continue to work on this, before another month passes, and the thread dies.

Hey there,

thanks a bunch, I've been keeping tabs on this thread, but I didn't have any responses to reply to. Why do you feel concerned?

In any case, I've been dabbling in figuring out that whole RMXP business and coming to grips with the Mythos script; thing I've really been bending my brain around is what I want the central conflict to be about, it needs to be about riches but also about Pokémon. I'm figuring out if I can make fossils a central motiff. If things keep up I think I'll need to make and put up a couple of Maps and then maybe look for a team to work with. Especially for spriting and music eventually.

I got the Pokémon Essentials pack, any other resources around you'd recommend? I wish I could just import all the things without having to figure out so much about configuring them so I could just get started for a bit.

Oh, and I see that PokéCommunity didn't store my final additions to the PokéDex, darn :(. I'll redo them now.

Cheers.

Matsjo

How Does I Pokéballer
Years
HOLY MAGIKRAP UPDATES!

Hey thar, I've put the PokéDex, AbilityDex, and the progress of the MoveDex and ItemDex up as attachments to the opening post for you all to enjoy. I think most of it came out pretty damn well for untested stuff.

Some notes:
- The PokéDex is now 252 Pokémon large
- I've made some Type changes here and there
- I've lowered many of the evolution levels for Pokémon
- Many Abilities are now different, and only a select few have a single Ability.
- Weather Abilities have been removed, Weather move effects don't expire anymore.
- More, but you should just comment if you notice something or have a question.

Have fun!

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2016
Sorry to come back, but way to go on the project! I can see progress is being made, just need to fine-tune some details to program things into a full fledged game. 3 months of plotting out stuff, that seems like a lot of work.

Matsjo

How Does I Pokéballer
Years
Sorry to come back, but way to go on the project! I can see progress is being made, just need to fine-tune some details to program things into a full fledged game. 3 months of plotting out stuff, that seems like a lot of work.

Thanks a lot, it's a lot of work, but the testing would be the most heartrending activity. I'm not having much luck with the RPG Maker though, but vacation times should help.

Last edited:
Back