• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should teachers be armed?

Years
In recent years, incidents such as the massacre at Columbine High School and Virginia Tech, where students gunned down their classmates, has given rise to the debate over whether teachers in the USA should be allowed to carry arms in the classroom. Supporters claim it means tragic massacres of students could be avoided if teachers could defend themselves against armed fanatics to the same degree. These massacres sparked off a debate about whether teachers are in a position where it is their responsibility to protect their vulnerable charges. And if so what possible ways there are to enable them to do so.

The second amendment of the US constitution maintains that "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed". This is nearly always taken as meaning all citizens have the right to bear arms, allowing teachers and others in positions of authority over vulnerable groups to be armed would be a natural extension of this entitlement.

The alternative suggestion for preventing such tragic incidents will not be covered much in this debate that there needs to be more restriction of guns. Advocates for gun controls claim that the USA's love affair with guns is the very reason why incidents such as Columbine happened in the first place, as the problem lies far more in the ease with which volatile groups, such as teenagers and young people, can access guns. If arms laws were made far stricter then it would reduce the risk of on-campus shootings and as a result, remove the need for teachers to protect themselves and their students. As a result of the entrenched arms culture in the USA, power of the gun lobby, and second amendment this debate takes as a starting point that such restrictions are unlikely to happen. Therefore the most logical way to reverse the issues raised by incidents like Columbine is to meet them with equal means, of which allowing teachers to carry arms would be one. On balance, this would mean a greater reduction in the harms inflicted in US society by guns as a whole.

The mechanism for this debate would therefore be a simple one. The only people allowed to carry guns in school environments would be registered teachers and head teachers, who have certified gun licences and who have undertaken special courses in how to carry arms safely in a school environment.

We would allow individual states to decide whether or not to grant schools the authority to carry arms, defined as firearms like handguns, and excluding other weapons such as tasers. Such a law would allow individual high schools to form their own policies on whether or not teachers can carry guns – therefore if individual teachers feel they cannot be in one environment or another, they are free to move schools within that state. Freedom of conscience can therefore be combined with an adherence to the second amendment and a concern for classroom safety in American schools.

How do you feel about this? Could teachers with conceal and carry licenses prevent future Columbines and other deadly shootings? How does the Second Amendment come into play? And if it was law, how do we regulate it?

Discuss!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
As much as I would LOVE to go into education with a gun, there are equally crazy teachers as well as students. So who's to say the teacher won't just go crazy instead of the student? And if it is the student, the teacher now has the right to shoot their student? I'm not a teacher yet, but I mean, your students become like your own children. So it'd be like shooting and potentially killing your own child. And I just can't stomach that.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
As much as I would LOVE to go into education with a gun, there are equally crazy teachers as well as students. So who's to say the teacher won't just go crazy instead of the student? And if it is the student, the teacher now has the right to shoot their student? I'm not a teacher yet, but I mean, your students become like your own children. So it'd be like shooting and potentially killing your own child. And I just can't stomach that.
I have to agree with this. Also teacher have to be trained in how to use the gun to avoid hurting themselves or someone else, in that case it might be better to put someone like a security officer in every class room.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I have to agree with this. Also teacher have to be trained in how to use the gun to avoid hurting themselves or someone else, in that case it might be better to put someone like a security officer in every class room.

Yeah, I really, really don't feel like having to learn how to use a gun. And what about older teachers? That'd be a sight. I don't feel like EVERY class should have a security guard though. Perhaps just a certain amount, depending on the school's size, and make sure they have access to each classroom in case of emergency.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
It is truly frightening that people are even considering that more government officials be armed.

If individual teachers wish to bear arms, then they should do so the same way that private citizens do.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
If individual teachers wish to bear arms, then they should do so the same way that private citizens do.

But would you be accepting of the encouraging the teachers bear arms on school grounds and during school hours?

I'm not sure I'd want one of my teachers in possession of a gun because, as said in this thread earlier, teachers can become just as crazed as any student can and I would put it past not a single teacher to do such things.

Years
Teachers have a lot of responsibility already, and on the whole they get paid crap. Advocating for teachers to have guns so they can protect their students is one step away from requiring teachers to protect students, meaning they would have to be trained, certified gun carriers and that's just one more burden on them. Who would pay for their guns/training? There is no surplus money in education in the US.

But really, the answer is in the first post: gun control. As it stands that's the best option. Next best option is to keep things as they are. Worst options are to arm teachers/encourage teachers to arm themselves.

Years
As mentioned above, teacher's are just as likely to lose it and start shooting! I've had some crazy teachers, (that have attacked students) and I would NOT put a gun in their hands. And why would a gun be put in their hands? to shoot students?!? Even if the teacher had every right to shoot, no kid would want to enter that class or be taught by that teacher. And I doubt many teachers would feel comfortable with the duty of gunning down their own students. If schools are really willing to go to such drastic measures, they could just install metal detectors on all the doors. It'd probably be less expensive. As long as they scanned your bag or whatever and the only metal you had was say scissors or staples or something, everything would be fine rather than using peoples' money to train teachers to shoot their own children...

Years
Besides many of the issues raised, there's a pretty horrible one I can think about. While they may not use it, so many teacher in really bad public schools get fed up when they are not respected by errant students. They might assert themselves with fear by the fact they have a gun.

Even if it was for protection, as a student, (especially when I was in high/middle school) I would not be able to learn comfortable or forge a working relationship with my teacher when they are armed and in a authoritative position over me all the time. It's frightening.

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2014
It would depend on the teacher. If the teacher is nice, tollerable and everyone loves him/her then give them a gun! However, like my old old Earth Science teacher, she hated her last class. So I think she'd shoot them all and kill them. Heck if a teacher I hated had a gun I'd stay the heck away from them.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
As a future teacher, no. Definitely not.

Weapons are more likely to be used for harm than good. Besides, supplying a weapon in the classroom makes it easier for a student to get their hands on one - no?

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
No, it's not like teachers can't go crazy. I mean there are horrible people that molest kids out in the world, what's to say a teacher couldn't go crazy and harm students and other teachers with a gun? It's not just kids that go crazy. I don't believe in having any weapons in a school. I can't see a lot of parents liking this and the teachers themselves would most likely be extremely uncomfortable being trained and certified to user firearms and even having one in the classroom. Honestly it would end up doing way more harm then good. All schools just need more security measures in place to prevent shootings, metal detectors, cameras, security officers and people looking out for suspicious behavior from anyone.

If someone seems off or something like that, it should be reported and investigated. You just never know who could snap like that.

Years
It is truly frightening that people are even considering that more government officials be armed.

teacher's aren't elected officials, so they're not really that kind of "government officials".

The big question here is if we as a people are willing to cross certain lines of morality & personal security to protect against more horrors like Columbine. A deal with the devil.

NintendoQueen

The Queen of Nintendo
Years
This is an interesting topic you bring up here, Livewire, because I am going to school to be a teacher.
I don't know if teachers should be armed though. I'll have to put a lot of thought into this. If teachers are armed, I wonder if students and parents would find out, and if there would be any repercussions to this. Some parents and students might not be very comfortable with the idea of their [child's] teacher having a gun on hand.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I really wouldn't like this idea at all. As said before in this thread, the teachers can go crazy too. Imagine a teacher's having a really hard time outside of their job - maybe an issue with family or a relationship - so they're already unhappy and then some annoying little kid is making their life hell. What's stopping them from pulling out the gun and shooting that kid? I've heard of and seen teachers getting very legitimately angry at their students, and in some cases even violence has been reported. When these kind of things happen I have no reason to believe that a teacher with a gun wouldn't use it. You can't just trust anyone with one of those.

That aside, even if that wasn't an issue, imagine how the children would feel knowing their teachers had a weapon in their desk. A lot of children, especially very young ones, can be scared of teachers, particularly if they're stricter ones. A teacher with a gun isn't safety for those kids, it's terror. I would never want that in a school.

NintendoQueen

The Queen of Nintendo
Years
I really wouldn't like this idea at all. As said before in this thread, the teachers can go crazy too. Imagine a teacher's having a really hard time outside of their job - maybe an issue with family or a relationship - so they're already unhappy and then some annoying little kid is making their life hell. What's stopping them from pulling out the gun and shooting that kid? I've heard of and seen teachers getting very legitimately angry at their students, and in some cases even violence has been reported. When these kind of things happen I have no reason to believe that a teacher with a gun wouldn't use it. You can't just trust anyone with one of those.

That aside, even if that wasn't an issue, imagine how the children would feel knowing their teachers had a weapon in their desk. A lot of children, especially very young ones, can be scared of teachers, particularly if they're stricter ones. A teacher with a gun isn't safety for those kids, it's terror. I would never want that in a school.

That's what I was thinking too. Teachers have horrible days, and can snap too.
And I agree with your second paragraph. If children and parents knew their [child's] teacher was armed, that would be quite unnerving, and I wouldn't want my children to have a teacher like that [and I'm going to be a teacher, and I wouldn't carry a gun with me].

Years
Perhaps not arming teachers, but maybe stationing a police officer or two at schools is a better idea. In the event of a "Columbine" or "Virginia Tech", they could potentially save as many lives as possible, with the training and skills a teacher wouldn't have.

NintendoQueen

The Queen of Nintendo
Years
Perhaps not arming teachers, but maybe stationing a police officer or two at schools is a better idea. In the event of a "Columbine" or "Virginia Tech", they could potentially save as many lives as possible, with the training and skills a teacher wouldn't have.

Yes, maybe with a "police officer" the students and staff and even parents will feel a bit safer.
I was at an elementary school in an area that wasn't too great, and there was a very friendly police officer there right by the main entrance. He would usually sit there and greet everyone, and it gave me a sense of protection at this school that was in an area where gangs are...

Back