• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

Who is the hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

• Roxanne

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Brawly

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • Wattson

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Flannery

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Norman

Votes: 53 18.5%
  • Winona

Votes: 22 7.7%
  • Tate & Liza

Votes: 129 45.1%
  • Wallace/Juan

Votes: 19 6.6%

• Total voters

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
Years
Definetly Wattson, not because of the electricity type, but because of the steel typing. If you treecko you didn't really stand a chance. I mostly chose mudkip which made it a breeze but on my bug monotype I was stuck on Wattson for three dyas straight. I had to grind 5 levels to beat him.

Years
Wattson! That dang manectric wiped out my whole team several times with shock wave! Norman and Tate and Liza were difficult too but I beat them both on my first try... I probably lost to Wattson like 10 times before I finally got that badge!

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
How is Liza and tate hard???. They use Psychics. Only formidable ones are Solrock and Lunatone. Because they are rocks. Over whalm them with brute force and they crumble. You cant do that with water/ice types

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Having just recently defeated all 8, I'd have to say the one I had the most trouble with was Norman! That Slaking was just too annoying!

Winona would probably take second place, 'cause of that damn Altaria! And in third place I'd put Juan (never battled Wallace 'cause I've only played Emerald), just 'cause I had to do a fair bit of grinding to be properly ready for him. That Whiscash had more HP than I thought!

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
the hardest for me was wallace and brawley. wallaces milotic was ice beaming me to death. and brawley was just really hard no matter what pokemon i had

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
I';d have to say Brawly. I only had Mudkip, Poochyena and Taillow (I think Taillow was very low leveled) and Wurmples. Was very hard to beat him, had to train everything about 16 levels, and fight him 16 different times. =p

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
Norman was hard, but Tate/Lisa were a pain. I don't remember exactly why they were so hard, since it's been a long time since I last played them, but it was probably because I didn't have any Pokémon that were particularly effective against their Solrock/Lunatone combo. I'll have a play through of the games again and see who annoys me now. XD

Perico

Ripper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
I've played Sapphire version many times and I have to say both Wattson and Norman were hard to beat. I mean, Wattson's Magneton using Shock Wave was annoying and unless you started with Mudkip (or you had high-leveled Pokémon), it turned out to be irritating. And Norman, I remember his Slaking to be very annoying with the combo Yawn+Facade.
I really miss how difficult they used to be, now you can beat them with your eyes closed.

Last edited:
Years
In a recent playthrough of Emerald, I dumped my Torchic at level 12, so Flannery tore through my Breloom, Swellow and weak basic Pokemon. In my most recent runthrough, the only Gym Leader that has defeated me once is Norman.

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
Years
Unless I pick Swampert as my starter than Liza & Tate will always tear me apart at least 3 times before I think of an effective strategy or grind enough levels in order to take them down in Emerald.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 25, 2013
Definitely Wattson. Ugh, that Magneton. D: As a kid that was always the gym I got stuck on, and I still have a pretty hard time beating it. I never have any Pokemon that can do much damage to Magneton.

SneakerTheOtter

Otter Power!
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 21, 2015
They were all kinda difficult. The ones I had the least trouble with was Tate and Liza, probably because I always pick Treecko which meant Xatu was the only problem. But Treecko also gave me hell against Wattson's Magneton, Flannery's Torkoal, Norman's Slaking (Treecko has a piddly defence), Juan's Kingdra (especially after Double Team)...

Most difficult would be Winona - her Pokemon, particularly Skarmory, JUST DON'T DIE

kingofeds

The Ed-olution is here!
Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2022
I always had issues with Brawly, but never with any of the other Gym Leaders. Maybe I was just unlucky/lucky, but always had troubles with that darn 2nd gym.

Years
I always found myself being under-levelled when I reached Brawly and had to grind for xp in the nearby cave, his pokemons' moves are pretty devastating for that stage in the game, I suppose I never found Tate & Liza difficult as my instinct to spam surf usually resulted in a fairly easy win

Years
Yeah, as I've heard from most people here some Gym Leaders can be really easy while others can be a nightmare based entirely on your starter choice.

I've heard Treecko and Torchic players struggle against more Gym Leaders than players who went with Mudkip like me.

But yeah, Norman was the hardest for me due to that Slaking. Brawly came a close second since I didn't have any Psychic-types with me at the time.

Back