• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Linda Harvey: "Don't let gay doctors treat your kids"

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
"How do you feel about open homosexuals tending to your child in a health care setting? Do you think these folks provide good role modeling at a time when your child is very vulnerable? I was thinking about this recently when I heard that Children's Hospital in Columbus has a homosexual employees group called NCHARGE, which stands for Nationwide Children's Hospital's Advocates Representing Gay Employees. The meeting minutes of this groups reveal that they participated in last June's gay pride parade, that they participated in a health expo on adolescent health this summer and that they're concerned about same-sex partner benefits. They're also planning to be identified with rainbow lapel pins.

But let's say your eleven year-old has broken her leg rather badly and needs to be in the hospital a few days, which would you prefer: a nurse who's proud of her lesbianism, who has rainbow identifiers on her work clothing, or a nurse who does not?

I would like to suggest that parents think long and hard about this. If you want your children to admire people who proclaim a homosexual lifestyle, they're involvement with your child during a hospital stay is sure to be an influence. And let me be clear that folks involved in these behaviors can be certainly competent workers but they are tacking on to their workplace identity one that is highly offensive to many people and can be erroneously influential to children who won't, or shouldn't, see the whole picture of how this behavior really manifests itself.

Here's what parents can do: select your pediatrician very carefully, first of all. There are a few homosexual doctors treating kids, there are far more nurses, LPNs, technicians and other health care workers in these lifestyles so you may want to consider writing a letter that you file with your pediatrician that should your child ever be hospitalized, you do not want your child to be treated or cared for by one of these members of the Children's Hospital gay employees group except in the case of an emergency situation. But for routine in-hospital care where contact with your child would be required, your values should be respected."
Source

This is the same person who says gay people don't exist. *facepalm* If my child were to be sick or have a broken leg or whatnot, I wouldn't care about the sexual orientation of the doctor. Since people are born with their sexual orientation (at least that's what I believe), it's not like they're going to "turn my child gay." Even if it did, I wouldn't care; there's nothing wrong with being gay. I'd much rather have a caring gay doctor than a mean, insensitive heterosexual doctor. As far as I'm concerned, if this person went to medical school and graduated, they can treat anyone.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I personally think this woman should shut her pie hole on not only homosexual related topics, but every topic.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Here's hoping that she has to go to the hospital, and the only avaliable doctors are homosexual ones.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
This thread isn't meant to be one sided at all.

you may want to consider writing a letter that you file with your pediatrician that should your child ever be hospitalized, you do not want your child to be treated or cared for by one of these members of the Children's Hospital gay employees group except in the case of an emergency situation. But for routine in-hospital care where contact with your child would be required, your values should be respected."

Don't know if I agree. Your values should be respected, yes, but bigotry definitely shouldn't. And I really can't think of a scenario where it isn't the latter.

Zet

Years
Who wouldn't want to have a doctor with a rainbow on them? Rainbow are quite awesome and very manly, and I think Linda Harvey should just shut up.

Don't know if I agree. Your values should be respected, yes, but not bigotry. And I really can't think of a scenario where it isn't the latter.
From my point of view, I think she thinks anyone who touches a homosexual becomes one.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
It's quite a wonderful feeling, really, knowing that we gays scare this woman so much. It tickles me even more that there are others out there like her. It makes me want to wear a rainbow pin and go touch each and every one of them before watching the colour drain out of their faces as they start to get the vapours and freak out at the prospect that they, too, might develop an insatiable desire for genitalia similar to their own.

I might even set up a table with bottles of disinfectant and watch them run to it, only to have them discover upon arrival that each bottle is sitting on top of a rainbow doily and does not in fact contain disinfectant, but appletini.

Years
Yeah, because... that really helps, doesn't it? To counter fears that you're going to molest people... you're going to touch them all where they don't want you to... yeah... that'll teach them to be distrustful, won't it?

Oh. Oh wait.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Yeah, because... that really helps, doesn't it? To counter fears that you're going to molest people... you're going to touch them all where they don't want you to... yeah... that'll teach them to be distrustful, won't it?

Oh. Oh wait.

Obviously he is being sarcastic; he is making fun of the unnecessary hysteria that some individuals have when it comes to gay people. Gay people should not have to prove their trustworthiness more than a straight person. In other words, homophobic people are creating their own problems; gay individuals should not have to change their lives in order to accommodate fear nor hate. People shake hands, play contact sports, and operate on others everyday, if they are not able to interact with gay individuals, then it could affect the business/employer they work for, the team they play for, or hinder the hospital's ability to cater to its patients. The thing that will teach homophobic people from the above examples are job loss, team position loss, or less prompt and quality in medical procedures.

Sadly, the same consequences will extend to their children. If a child is playing basketball against a gay player, then the child will have to sit out the game; rather than disallowing the gay child to play. It was the parent's choice to pull their kid out of the game.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
This is just histerical fearmongering. This woman has no idea what she is talking about and should just shut up. Whether or not a doctor is gay has nothing to do with medical treatment. What if the person were having a heart attack and the only available doctor was gay, take it or leave it? I'll bet she would take the treatment.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
...you have got to be kidding me. Honestly, not only does she discriminate, she sounds like she actually expects people to listen to her. It doesn't matter if doctors are strait, gay, lesbian, or green aliens from Mars. Seriously, who cares.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years

Oh. Oh wait.

lmao.

In other words, homophobic people are creating their own problems;

Yes, this! I could not have put it better myself. People are using their bigotry to create issues where issues do not exist. If people would learn to just shut up and stop making unnecessary problems then the world would be a much happier and calmer place.

Melody

Banned
Years
I should like....go to see this lady, shake her hand, maybe pat her on the back and then go..."Oh by the way I'm bi" and watch her turn shades of violet god never intended us to. xD

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
I'd rather my kids be treated by a happy doctor instead of a angry one.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I've never seen a doctor with rainbow identifiers on their work clothing, regardless of their sexual orientation. Parents have every right to be picky about who treats their kids, even if I personally find this reasoning ridiculous.

Years
I hate when people use children as weapons in these anti-gay crusades.

I suppose we shouldn't have gay crossing guards either, or gay anyone-your-child-might-come-into-contact-with.

Zet

Years
I hate when people use children as weapons in these anti-gay crusades.

I suppose we shouldn't have gay crossing guards either, or gay anyone-your-child-might-come-into-contact-with.

I hope no one tells her that there are gay teachers.

Last edited:
Years
I doubt children would even know what the rainbow on their clothing mean, and just because a doctor is gay doesn't mean they're going to molest your child. It shouldn't matter what your doctor's sexual orientation is.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
Freedom of speech at it's finest, where someone taking an unpopular stance on an issue like homosexuality is immediately told to stop practicing their freedom of speech (This thread) and sometimes flat out punished for it. (Hate crimes, anyone?)

The ammount of intolerance I see from the group supposedly advocating the equality of sexual orientations is the very reason I refuse to support them. Among other... smaller reasons. Point being, I'd rather be looked down on for refusing to take part in this /war/ altogether than to be associated with a group I either just don't agree with (anti-homosexuality groups) or a group known for having a tendency to put it's goals above things like our freedom and civility.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Not really. She has the right to say stupid ****, and we have the right to tell her to shut the **** up.

Back