• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

☆ Chaos Control! :: Sonic the Hedgehog Club

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
Okay, fans will never bring out a 3d game thats better than the current ones. But, the 2d ones are just SO MUCH BETTER. And you're right, fans can't bring out perfect physics on their first try. But they actually make sure the physics work and are closer to the source. They actually completely listen to criticism and find out what the problems are. Dimps just took the biggest complaint, fixed it by a smidgen, and then claimed it was fixed completely.

Also, how is it possible that a fan game looked better than an actual game? SFR looked gorgeous...while Episode 1 looks like it had a graphical budget of about 20 dollars and a box of crayons. At first, I thought it looked nice. It kinda looked like a comic book. But then I took a look at SFR.

Sega, these are the sequels to the games that saved your companies ass back in the 90's, and you should treat is as such. It should have been a big budget retail game. BUT NOPE.

I applaud you for this post. You hit it spot on. And that Sonic 4 Episode 1 graphic comparison.....I love it. XD

No doubt an retail Sonic 4 would be great. But for a game like that it would take time. No doubt Sonic Team has it in them to make another 2D game again (look at Generations). Just don't let DIMPS touch it. XD

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Its not like Sonic Team themselves can make a perfect 2D game. If you've played Generations as much as I have, you'd have noticed that the rolling...sucks...

Just as useful as it was in Episode 1. And by that I mean not at all. But, even with that, it still is better. Cause you know, they may have actually played Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, and CD? Or at least looked at more than 1 screenshot? Not to mention the classic mixes were awesome, and all the old stages were perfectly translated into 2d.
Also another thing, everything in Episode 1 and 2 are rehashes. Maybe not the bosses (In Episode 2), but the stages. Episode 1 is lazy, and EPisode 2 is slightly less lazy but still bad.

You see, Generations had an excuse to rehash stages. Because it was an anniversary title. But Sonic 4 on the other hand did not. Its suppose to be a sequel, not the same game but with worse gameplay!

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
Its not like Sonic Team themselves can make a perfect 2D game. If you've played Generations as much as I have, you'd have noticed that the rolling...sucks...

Just as useful as it was in Episode 1. And by that I mean not at all. But, even with that, it still is better. Cause you know, they may have actually played Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, and CD? Or at least looked at more than 1 screenshot? Not to mention the classic mixes were awesome, and all the old stages were perfectly translated into 2d.
Also another thing, everything in Episode 1 and 2 are rehashes. Maybe not the bosses (In Episode 2), but the stages. Episode 1 is lazy, and EPisode 2 is slightly less lazy but still bad.

You see, Generations had an excuse to rehash stages. Because it was an anniversary title. But Sonic 4 on the other hand did not. Its suppose to be a sequel, not the same game but with worse gameplay!

Sonic Team knew that they had to make Classic's gameplay at least similar....but damn that rolling was over-powered! So you're not the only one to notice. Especially in Speed Highway and Chemical Plant.

Episode 1 was straight rehash and example of "They Just Didn't Care" imo. And Episode 2 it was combining two previous themes into one. Granted, I liked that was better than Episode 1, and the graphics engine sure as hell made up for it. If there is an Episode 3 they need to be original to a higher extent. Like....a clock-based zone or another food zone. I'm fine with using newer game levels as inspiration.

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
You're saying the Super Sonic Spin dash was overpowered. I'm trying to say that trying to gain momentum by rolling down a slope was useless. Chibi-Sonic uncurls almost instantly. Seriously, try it. Doesn't work.

And yeah, in episode 1, they just didn't give a Karp. Ooohhh, a clock based stage. That would be interesting and sounds like fun to play through. Maybe a fan can do it.

Last edited:

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
You're saying the Super Sonic Spin dash was overpowered. I'm trying to say that trying to gain momentum by rolling down a slope was useless. Seriously, try it. Doesn't work.

Ah.....and wow you're right. That annoys the hell out of me...I remember trying Chemical Plant for the first time...was trying to use momentum strictly after one spin dash and what the hell? Classic did not roll down the way I expected, like the Direction Pad felt empty pressing it down. (I have PS3 btw)

NV

Dracon Leader
Years
Username:NV
Favorite Sonic Character(s):Mighty, Blaze, Metal Sonic, Bean
and might as well add in the other questions
Favorite Game: Sonic the Fighters (Since even an over powered Emeral doesn't make Sonic Battle quite as fun as a fighting game where a pyrotechnic Duck is playable.)
If SEGA made a Sonic game just for you, what would you want it to be like (your ideal game)? I would want a Sonic adventure 1 & 2 fusion with level and boss redesigns for both stories, a large variety of multiplayer games (such as level races using any of the characters from the two stories, Some Co-op What if storylines and a four player board racing game.) a character creator, Chao walkers using your own chao, and a short after story where you play as Amy, Tikal, Cream, Metal Sonic, Chaos, and Omega in a prelude to Sonic Heros. I'd Call it Sonic Ultimate Adventures.

~Ryukaa

total nerd
Years
Username: ~Ryukaa
Favorite Sonic Character(s): Blaze, Tails, Emerl.

What is your favorite Sonic game?
My favourite Sonic game would be the Advance series. I also really liked Sonic Battle. xD;
They were my first Sonic games, and I had the most memories with them.

If SEGA made a Sonic game just for you, what would you want it to be like (your ideal game)?
Honestly, I can tell you what I wouldn't want in my ideal Sonic game. What that is, is a really badly overdone story. Sonic games have been infamous for that. Of course, there are a lot of people who like that story, and that's fine. ...But it's not something I would personally want. xD;
My ideal Sonic game is a game that would blow away just as much as Super Mario Galaxy did, while retaining the feel of the original Genesis games. The Final Zone would have a similar feel to the Chaos Angel Zone from Sonic Advance 3, because that Zone was freaking awesome. I would like a new 3D platformer, but without any major upgrades or gimmicks like Sonic Colors. Also, if it were on the Wii U, that would be cool. o3o
That's pretty much it!

On another note, I really need to play 4: Episode 2. I haven't even played Episode 1 yet, but ehh! xDD;;

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
Welcome NV and ~Ryukaa to the club!

Username:NV
Favorite Sonic Character(s):Mighty, Blaze, Metal Sonic, Bean
and might as well add in the other questions
Favorite Game: Sonic the Fighters (Since even an over powered Emeral doesn't make Sonic Battle quite as fun as a fighting game where a pyrotechnic Duck is playable.)
If SEGA made a Sonic game just for you, what would you want it to be like (your ideal game)? I would want a Sonic adventure 1 & 2 fusion with level and boss redesigns for both stories, a large variety of multiplayer games (such as level races using any of the characters from the two stories, Some Co-op What if storylines and a four player board racing game.) a character creator, Chao walkers using your own chao, and a short after story where you play as Amy, Tikal, Cream, Metal Sonic, Chaos, and Omega in a prelude to Sonic Heros. I'd Call it Sonic Ultimate Adventures.

Agreed with the Bean the Duck comment.

Username: ~Ryukaa
Favorite Sonic Character(s): Blaze, Tails, Emerl.

My favourite Sonic game would be the Advance series. I also really liked Sonic Battle. xD;
They were my first Sonic games, and I had the most memories with them.

If SEGA made a Sonic game just for you, what would you want it to be like (your ideal game)?
Honestly, I can tell you what I wouldn't want in my ideal Sonic game. What that is, is a really badly overdone story. Sonic games have been infamous for that. Of course, there are a lot of people who like that story, and that's fine. ...But it's not something I would personally want. xD;
My ideal Sonic game is a game that would blow away just as much as Super Mario Galaxy did, while retaining the feel of the original Genesis games. The Final Zone would have a similar feel to the Chaos Angel Zone from Sonic Advance 3, because that Zone was freaking awesome. I would like a new 3D platformer, but without any major upgrades or gimmicks like Sonic Colors. Also, if it were on the Wii U, that would be cool. o3o
That's pretty much it!

On another note, I really need to play 4: Episode 2. I haven't even played Episode 1 yet, but ehh! xDD;;

Now that's an interesting concept. In a way Sonic Colors was that mesh of 'Super Mario Galaxy' while retaining the wistfulness of the classics with the locations and such. but I get what you mean.

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
You know what my perfect Sonic game would be? SAdly, it will NEVER, EVER, happen. If Sonic Team or Dimps themselves are developing it.

A 2d Sonic game, sold in stores, with HD 2d sprites along the lines of S2HD and Rayman Orgins. Or maybe the Episode 2 or SFR graphics. I don't care. Would prefer Episode 2 and SFR, but they both would look very nice.

Physics that are exactly like Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, CD, and hell, even the Advance Games.

Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles all being playable, all with their S3&K abilities. (NO HOMING ATTACK).
But, Amy, Shadow, Silver, and maybe even other characters can be playable. Shadow having Chaos Powers, Amy having her Hammer, and Silver having Telekinesis.

Everyone can Spin dash, Spin jump, and most importantly, GO JUST AS FAST AS SONIC.

No overuse of springs, and speed boosters. NONE OF THAT CRAP. FIRE YOURSELVES AND HIRE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING YOU BRAINLESS IDIOTS AT DIMPS.

Also another thing I forgot to complain about was that the camera is too close to Sonic. Or its just that Sonic himself is too big. Seriously, its almost as bad as Sonic 1 GBA version. O yea, I went there.

That and a Sonic and Mario crossover that isn't a sports game.

"HEY GUYS AT NINTENDERP, INSTEAD OF MAKING AN AWESOME CROSS DIMENSION PLATFORMING ADVENTURE, LETS MAKE A SPORTS GEAM WITH THE OLYMPICS. DOESN'T THAT SOUND FUHN? ISN'T THIS THE SANIK AND MARIOO GEAM EVERY HAS BEEN WATING FOR?"

GENIUS!!

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Welcome to the club, new members! -gives complimentary chili dogs to everyone-

@Artificial-Insanity: Woah woah woah, you deserve extra points for answering all those topics. :P I love your Sonic merchandise collection! Welcome to the club! We're glad to have you here.

@Falling Wishes: HEY! I didn't know you liked Sonic until you mistakenly called Pokecole Shadow. xD; It's very nice to see you here!

@Plasmette: You seem fun. :D I really don't know what was going on in Episode II development, haha. It's still an enjoyable, improved sequel, for me.

@NV: A Bean fan! Ya gotta love the bomb-crazy duck. That's a very interesting concept for your ideal game; I quite like the idea of having your own Chao in the Chao walkers, hehe!

@~Ryukaa: Thank you for joining! I had a lot of nice memories with Advance and Battle too. :) My usertitle references Chaos Angel from Advance 3. That zone definitely needs a 3D redesign.. <3

Speaking of anniversaries... Sonic's 21st Anniversary is this Saturday, the 23rd! What, if anything, are you going to do?
I dunno yet! I'll watch Korra in the morning and may read BW2 news! I'll try to 100% Sonic Adventure, maybe. I'm very close to 100%, since like October. /general laziness

WHAT SONIC GAME DO YOU BELIEVE IS OVERRATED IN THE SERIES AND WHY?
Sonic CD. I could never totally warm up to it like some other fans can. Peel out is overrated. Past/Future seems moot as it's kinda difficult to maintain your speed. Levels are strange! I still haven't beat the PS3 version yet. x_x

You know what my perfect Sonic game would be? SAdly, it will NEVER, EVER, happen. If Sonic Team or Dimps themselves are developing it.

A 2d Sonic game, sold in stores, with HD 2d sprites along the lines of S2HD and Rayman Orgins. Or maybe the Episode 2 or SFR graphics. I don't care. Would prefer Episode 2 and SFR, but they both would look very nice.

Physics that are exactly like Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, CD, and hell, even the Advance Games.

Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles all being playable, all with their S3&K abilities. (NO HOMING ATTACK).
But, Amy, Shadow, Silver, and maybe even other characters can be playable. Shadow having Chaos Powers, Amy having her Hammer, and Silver having Telekinesis.

Everyone can Spin dash, Spin jump, and most importantly, GO JUST AS FAST AS SONIC.

No overuse of springs, and speed boosters. NONE OF THAT CRAP. FIRE YOURSELVES AND HIRE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING YOU BRAINLESS IDIOTS AT DIMPS.

Also another thing I forgot to complain about was that the camera is too close to Sonic. Or its just that Sonic himself is too big. Seriously, its almost as bad as Sonic 1 GBA version. O yea, I went there.

That and a Sonic and Mario crossover that isn't a sports game.

"HEY GUYS AT NINTENDERP, INSTEAD OF MAKING AN AWESOME CROSS DIMENSION PLATFORMING ADVENTURE, LETS MAKE A SPORTS GEAM WITH THE OLYMPICS. DOESN'T THAT SOUND FUHN? ISN'T THIS THE SANIK AND MARIOO GEAM EVERY HAS BEEN WATING FOR?"

GENIUS!!
Yeah, I just don't understand why the homing attack exists in 2D levels. It insanely helps in 3D, but it's unnecessary in 2D. I also wanna see the main trio return with their S3&K abilities! Big want for me, if they do an Episode III. :x

Spring madness in Episode II = yuck
Dimps is trying to annoy you ;)

I think having a Sonic and Mario platformer like Brawl's story mode would be cool, haha! Sonic needs to slow down for ol' Mario.

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Fun Fact, the homing attack was the result of bad gameplay. Since the controls in SA1 were so god awful, nobody could jump on Badniks themselves. So they copied Sonic 3d blast's idea and gave Sonic a homing attack. Yaaaay.

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
Fun Fact, the homing attack was the result of bad gameplay. Since the controls in SA1 were so god awful, nobody could jump on Badniks themselves. So they copied Sonic 3d blast's idea and gave Sonic a homing attack. Yaaaay.

Oh yeah, and Sonic Team were not going to bluntly state that the design game-play is bad XD

I hate the Homing Attack in 2006.....feels incomplete, so damn wonky, had tnedency to work AGAINST you.....then again that whole game is a mess.

And to answer my own question...

Most Overrated Game In My Opinion?

Sonic Adventure 2. It's a good game, but it's funny how it makes SA1's premise in terms of Sonic-style gameplay and shrunk it down. 2/3 of the entire game is either mundane treasure hunting or BLAM BLAM shooting galleries. All the 'Golden Goose' hype of it being the best Sonic game of all time? 3D Game is another story....Pfft....and yes I've heard that. Mostly from the younger fans.

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Overrated? Sonic CD. Best Sonic game ever my butt. Level design is awful. But great music and gameplay.
I like both soundtracks, but I'd have to go with JP. It sounds more upbeat and light hearted, while the American version sounds a little dark, and seems to take itself seriously. Yes, take your blue talking furry and friends seriously. Sa2 also takes itself way too seriously. Its not even funny.

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
Overrated? Sonic CD. Best Sonic game ever my butt. Level design is awful. But great music and gameplay.
I like both soundtracks, but I'd have to go with JP. It sounds more upbeat and light hearted, while the American version sounds a little dark, and seems to take itself seriously. Yes, take your blue talking furry and friends seriously. Sa2 also takes itself way too seriously. Its not even funny.

Then 2006 takes seriousness to absurd levels. XD

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Haven't played 06. I've seen it go for like 10 dollars, but I'm too lazy to buy it

Undefeatedable

Sonic Lover/Black Guy
Years

EMERALD

Username: Undefeatedable
Favorite Sonic Character(s): Sonic

Sonic the Hedgehog: First one I played, back when I was 3. Still play it on Mega Collection and on Generations! Prefer the Gamecube controller feeling tho.

Sonic CD: This game was a win to me. I didn't play it until Gems came out, but I always wanted to. I first played it and sucked but I picked it up eventually.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles: Also a win to me. I didn't actually play the full one until about 3 months ago, but I always played 3 on Mega Collection. Wish I had the original...... I love it so much, I beat the game with every character variation lol!

Sonic Adventure: LOVE IT! Still play it! I just recently bought another Dreamcast and the original game so I could re-live the experience!

Sonic Adventure 2: 'Nuff said.

Sonic 2006: *Prepares for Rage Comments* I agree it wasn't one of the best, BUT this is a question about my favs! >.< I loved the mature storyline (I mainly game for story).

Sonic Unleashed: WEREHOG IS FUN! Day stages are better! ^.^

Sonic Colors: 'Nuff said.

Sonic Generations: Makes me relive all of the moments I just shared with you guys!

Sonic 4: Ok this is a weird one. I don't actually own this game. LOVE IT, but don't own it. (I don't have Xbox live atm)

Sonic Battle: I remember having class-wide tournaments with this game back in 3rd grade. Sooooooo fun!

(The reason why Sonic 2 didn't make my favs was because my cousins ruined the experience for me.... they were so bad at the special stages..... I never went Super TT-TT)

For Sonic's Anniversary, my cousins and I are gonna start a marathon from Sonic 1 all the way to Generations. We already talked and I have all the games sooo... NO SLEEP MODE!

Also (if anyone cares....) Big fan of the comics. Have a longbox of them in my room. (Only comics I read btw....)
===============
Hope to see this thread flourish!

Last edited:

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
For Sonic's Anniversary, my cousins and I are gonna start a marathon from Sonic 1 all the way to Generations. We already talked and I have all the games sooo... NO SLEEP MODE!

Also (if anyone cares....) Big fan of the comics. Have a longbox of them in my room. (Only comics I read btw....)

I'm planning to do the exact same thing! I might livestream some of the games around Midnight if I'm feeling up for it.

since my compy is slow, I'd only be streaming the classics, maybe some music, fanhacks and an episode or 2 of Sonic X. (this would be about 3 and a half hours from now, and the link will be in my signature in about 2 hours if I do decide to do it.)

Oh, and YES! I LOVE the comics! Haven't got all the newest ones and there's huge gaps so I haven't been readign them must lately...

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE. I decided to go all-out and create a fun challenge..

THE SONIC SUPER GENERATIONS CHALLENGE!

Play Sonic Generations.:

Once you complete both acts of a zone as both Sonics, go play the original game the level came from.
Get as far as you can in the game without a Game Over. Preferably, playing through all stories.
Record Total Lives in each game. Record where the first and last deaths in each game where.
Do not play extra missions in any game. Do not return to previous levels to collect extra goodies or improve your score.

At the end of the entire run, add up the totals Posted Image
Game Over in Generations= you must restart the entire run all over again.

*Skills ARE allowed, IF it's a skill you can earn from a mission. (Or the default, Power Brake)
*If you can beat the original game's story mode without a single Game Over, then you may go back to that zone and do the rest of the Challanges and/or collect the Red Rings.
*Don't have one of the games? Substitute it for another one then.
*If you happened to get an S-Rank on your run through that zone, then you may use a continue. S-Rank both acts, 2 continues. (don't have an actual continue in the game? then use level select.)
*Losers of the Challenge must consume at least one full Cinnadog (Chilidog with SUPER Spicy Chilli, Hot Sauce, and Cinnamon.)

Last edited:

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Problems.

Sonic 1, 2, 3&K don't have ranks.
Sonic 1, 2, 3&K don't have unlockables besides Super and Hyper forms.
Nobody ever gets a game over in Generations because its easy.
You're gonna force me to play through 4 piece of crap games? (Sonic 06, Unleashed, Sonic Heroes, Adventure 1)

And this challenges rules make no sense.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
Sonic 1, 2, 3&K don't have ranks. Then obviously it only aplies to games that do.
Sonic 1, 2, 3&K don't have unlockables besides Super and Hyper forms. Then obviously it only aplies to games that do.
And this challenges rules make no sense. does the above clear that up?

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Oh hey guys Sonic Adventure 2 is coming to XBLA and PSN.

meh. It better have all the old DLC from the Dreamcast version. That would be so cool.

Back