• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Haha maybe I came off a tad too noobish haha. I have experience working with Lunar Magic and Zelda Classic editors, so I at least know a lot of basic stuff, like working with a hex editor and screen design. I've always wanted to try and learn scripting, but I failed horribly with ASM back in the day. Long story short, I'd probably say Im at least somewhat proficient with ROM hacking. But starting with a new game, and new tools, I wouldnt think I'd know too much to start.

After reading your response, I'll probably switch to Ruby, since it would be safer but still contain the tiles I would want to use. I know I could import the tiles to FR if I really wanted to, but I'm not really good with tilework in any sense.

And yes, turns out I was talking about Map Connections. Thank you for pointing me to that tutorial, I didnt see it when I went through the tutorial section myself. It looks like it will help me out a whole lot haha

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
How exactly can I make a level script repeat every time I enter a map? I know that flags aren't used in them so I'm a bit confused. :(

Despite everything stated above which is correct you need to make sure that the variable value stays the same to reactivate. eg: 0x4000 0x0000 should always stay as 0x0000.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Despite everything stated above which is correct you need to make sure that the variable value stays the same to reactivate. eg: 0x4000 0x0000 should always stay as 0x0000.

Those are temp vars. They may stay the same, but a TON of GF scripts use them, so it isn't a good idea. What I do, is pick a var, and call it my "0" var. In the first script of the game, I guarantee it to be 0 with a setvar, and then I use that for any events that are going to happen again, and again, but require a var.

Either 03, 05 or 07 types. On menu close, not no menu close, whatever.

These have a VERY limited range of command. No. Nope. No.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
What kind of level script are you talking about? If you are talking about a 03 One Entering Map script, then it will be executed every time you go into a particular map.
If you are talking about a 02 Validates Values script, then here is an explanation:
wYsSI3t.png

When you are creating the script, you do not necessarily need to set a var or a flag to tell the game that said level script has already been executed. So if you want the level script to run every time you go into said map, mark the "flag" box as a value that is not being executed anywhere else, ever. So, if you set your script's "flag" value to 4050, make sure you are not setting that value in your script, if that makes any sense. That way, the game will check if 4050 has been executed and the feedback will be "NO", so the level script will run over and over again.
Sorry if this was a bit of a terrible explanation :3 Here is a tutorial on all kinds of level scripts if you need it: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=191500

Thanks! :) I think what I need is 04 though, since what I want is when the player enters a house, they get instantly warped to another place. Would this be right, if so would I do the same as you described?

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2014
Ok, so I am completly new to the hacking. The thing I would like to do is switch some pokemon sprites in HG/SS into the ones from D/P/P. Could you help me with that? What tools do I need? Perhaps there is already tutorial about it, I didn't find one.

Years
I don't know if this problem I'm having is my fault or the programs fault (most likely my fault), but it seems that I can't use Advance Map (1.92). Every time I change the map design of a room it loads said room black.
For example, when I changed the layout of the main characters bedroom to give it a new feel it looked perfectly fine in Advance Map. But when I loaded the ROM (and skimmed through Oak's introduction) it loaded a black screen. Luckily this was a back up.
I made another back up and this time changed the main character's living room (the one where "Mum" always is), it loaded the main character's room fine (note I having changed that room yet) but when I went downstairs it loaded a black screen again.
Am I doing something wrong, is anyone else having these problems, is there a save function I might not be clicking?
Thank you,
SmgC

karatekid552

Years
I don't know if this problem I'm having is my fault or the programs fault (most likely my fault), but it seems that I can't use Advance Map (1.92). Every time I change the map design of a room it loads said room black.
For example, when I changed the layout of the main characters bedroom to give it a new feel it looked perfectly fine in Advance Map. But when I loaded the ROM (and skimmed through Oak's introduction) it loaded a black screen. Luckily this was a back up.
I made another back up and this time changed the main character's living room (the one where "Mum" always is), it loaded the main character's room fine (note I having changed that room yet) but when I went downstairs it loaded a black screen again.
Am I doing something wrong, is anyone else having these problems, is there a save function I might not be clicking?
Thank you,
SmgC

I'm going to guess you changed the size of those maps too. For some reason, those maps have major issues with resizing. I have no idea why. For my hack, I needed to resize, so I created a new bank with new rooms for the players house and it worked fine.

If you didn't resize, then I have no idea why you would be having this issue.

Years
I'm going to guess you changed the size of those maps too. For some reason, those maps have major issues with resizing. I have no idea why. For my hack, I needed to resize, so I created a new bank with new rooms for the players house and it worked fine.

If you didn't resize, then I have no idea why you would be having this issue.

I resized it, maybe one day you could teach me how to make a rom with new sized rooms, until I have the time (and until your willing to do so) I will have to do without.
Thank You for your help,
SmgC

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
Years
Ok i have hacked for several months now and i am having problems with putting d/p/ pokemon in pokemon fire red. I am using unlz gba obviously and i find a diamond pearl sprite. If i use starly for example, when it appears in the wild the backround of it shows on it and part of the bottom of it is messed up. The first time i imported it on pidgey it wasnt indexed, so i changed it to 16 colors on infranview, then i wrote it to the rom and it said its aborting and its too big. After that i checked off everything besides auto abort and it let me write it to my hack. Thats when the messed up starly appeared in the game. Does anyone know what to do?

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Ok i have hacked for several months now and i am having problems with putting d/p/ pokemon in pokemon fire red. I am using unlz gba obviously and i find a diamond pearl sprite. If i use starly for example, when it appears in the wild the backround of it shows on it and part of the bottom of it is messed up. The first time i imported it on pidgey it wasnt indexed, so i changed it to 16 colors on infranview, then i wrote it to the rom and it said its aborting and its too big. After that i checked off everything besides auto abort and it let me write it to my hack. Thats when the messed up starly appeared in the game. Does anyone know what to do?

There's a MUCH easier method of inserting Pokemon sprites using Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor. Here's a link to the thread:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=196143

This program will index the image for you and inserting is super easy. Here's a tutorial for inserting sprites with Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwzQLxGCQ70

Edit: You'll be needing these as well:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2n7211nkq17l62a/Battle_Sprites.rar
That file has all 4th gen and 5th gen Pokemon Sprites completely compatible with Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor.
(Here is the original link to the sprites: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=267728)

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years

Ummmm, are they the original 80x80 ones from DP? Or resized 64x64?

I resized it, maybe one day you could teach me how to make a rom with new sized rooms, until I have the time (and until your willing to do so) I will have to do without.
Thank You for your help,
SmgC

1) File -> Map -> Create new map.

2) Change the settings you want (the name part is bogus, don't even bother.)

3) File -> Map -> Insert Map

4) Choose a map bank and map #. You can easily create new map banks and such in this area.

5) Edit your new map.

6) Be creative!

Note: If File -> Map is grayed out, it means you need to have a map already open to use it. It doesn't matter what map, it won't make a difference.

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Is it just me, or does Oak's Tutorial type of battle go crazy when the player uses a 2nd Pokémon?

It also goes crazy if you throw a ball. The point is, it's not programmed to handle a ball (because you have no balls in FR at the time) or a second pokemon (because you're not supposed to have hat either). Just kinda follow the set standard of FR up until that battle.

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
Years
I downloaded APSE, and the sprites look great now!Thank you for your help and the video, CrystalStatic.

I don't know if this is a common problem or not, but in APSE I tried to insert a png image of shadow lugia on normal lugia, and its colors where all messed up. I tried this on other pokemon too but did the same. Its colors turn from black, blue and red to completely white on any pokemon I try editing it with. It is also a 64 by 64 pic so the size is right. Is there a way I can fix this?

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
I downloaded APSE, and the sprites look great now!Thank you for your help and the video, CrystalStatic.

I don't know if this is a common problem or not, but in APSE I tried to insert a png image of shadow lugia on normal lugia, and its colors where all messed up. I tried this on other pokemon too but did the same. Its colors turn from black, blue and red to completely white on any pokemon I try editing it with. It is also a 64 by 64 pic so the size is right. Is there a way I can fix this?

Press synchronize palettes to get the palettes in. No need to index.

When I use my Warp command in a script tile the message plays but when it warps the screen just goes black?

can someone help?

Stop using A-map 1.95 then use 1.92 to port that map to another bank/map slot.

Last edited:

Rezordaxx

Asks many questions!
Years
Press synchronize palettes to get the palettes in. No need to index.

Stop using A-map 1.95 then use 1.92 to port that map to another bank/map slot.

I already use 1.92 and the map is for pallet town and that has 4.9 maps already and if i do 4.10 it always goes to black when i warp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back