• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack on Linux: Run EXE's + run EliteMap

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
Years
Ok... I don't know if there are anyone else than i who uses Linux here, but if there is, this may be useful.

===PART 1===
If you are using a distro without the "yum" command, get and RPM/DEB m.m. at http://www.winehq.org/ (try "man yum", if you get an error, you have no yum:( )
If you are using a distro with yum(Fedora, RedHat Enterprise, m.m.), just use
Code:
> [B]su -l[/B]
Password: [I](Password to "Root" user[/I])
> [B]yum -y install wine[/B]
Then wait for it to install
When it is done, you can run Windows .EXE applications by running the command "wine path to .exe"

And, yes i know that f.ex. SuSe uses apt-get instead of yum, but i don't know the args for apt-get, since i am using Fedora 9 Sulphur. If anyone can post the command for apt-get i can add it here

===PART 2===
Run EliteMap
You might have noticed, that if you double-click any of the EliteMap applications, it says something similar to "Pokeroms.ini not found" or "No gba roms in current directory at all", that is beacuse Nautilus(GNOME) or Konquerror(KDE), sets the Current Directory to /home/(your username, a.k.a. your Home Folder.

These examples will assume that you have installed EliteMap in C: \Program Files\EliteMap.
So if you want to run it, you can either:

Method #1, Run from Terminal only, more stable
Spoiler:

Method #2, Run from App bar, not that stable as #1, can make a mess in your homefolder...

Spoiler:

Method #3, Run like any command... (thanks to IIMarckus)
Spoiler:

Hope this helped!

Last edited by a moderator:

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
Years
Quote:
Originally Posted by groudonlover
(try "su -l root" then "man yum", if you get an error, you have no yum:( )

You don't need to be root to view man pages.

I was not sure if Root Specific Command's MAN Pages also needed root.... I remove that
Quote:
or whatever you use in KDE

KDE folks tend to use Konqueror for file browsing.
Thanks! I'm using Gnome, and i couldn't find the name... I thought i could maybe be Konquerror, but i thought that was a Web Browser :\
Quote:
> ln -s /home/(your username)/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/EliteMap/* .

Why not just add them to your $PATH?
WINE-emulated applications can be a little buggy, and some people are afraid of changing anything system-related, but i'll add that too

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
For Christmas i got a pentiumIII computer.(to "experiment"(write programs) with) I am dual booting linux and xp pro. I don't have but an ethernet connection and 2 usb slots. FLoppy support and read write cd's. I'm running linux ubuntu 8.10. With no internet connection available i have realized ubuntu is very hard to use. Could you
a.)Dummy this down for me
b.)Tell me of a way to get wine without an internet connection
c.)Set up an internet connection (preffer a and b first though)

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
Years
For Christmas i got a pentiumIII computer.(to "experiment"(write programs) with) I am dual booting linux and xp pro. I don't have but an ethernet connection and 2 usb slots. FLoppy support and read write cd's. I'm running linux ubuntu 8.10. With no internet connection available i have realized ubuntu is very hard to use. Could you
a.)Dummy this down for me
b.)Tell me of a way to get wine without an internet connection
c.)Set up an internet connection (preffer a and b first though)

In what way is Ubuntu hard to use?

Download the wine debian package here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/i386/wine/download

Once you have wine_1.0.1-0ubuntu2_i386.deb put it on a usb stick/floppies/burn it to a cd, then copy it across to your Ubuntu machine and install it as you would with an Windows installer.

Once installed try a program, e.g. Tile Layer Pro (right click and choose other application, then type in the command box: 'wine'). If your program does not work like that open the terminal then type 'cd' then the path to the folder the program resides in, finally type 'wine [ProgramName.exe]' press enter and it will print the error,nusally the problem is just a missing DLL, if so, go and search a DLL files web site where you can download most of the ones you need. Once you have the DLL put it in the same folder as your program and try again.

It works for me :)

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2010
In Ubuntu 10.04 you just need to go to Applications and click on Ubuntu Software Center, and type in wine then click install.

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2020
To install Wine on an apt-get system, you need to be root or have sudo privileges:

Prompt$ sudo apt-get install wine

That's basically it.

Back