• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice.

Ice.
Years
On with the theme of self importance...

I need the opinions of the public on my nations RP. How much stats are too many for the RP? Obviously numbers are going to be essential in order for control, but how much is too much? Right now, the economy is stat- based, and the army is to an extent. Is that too many numbers? If so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to cut down on stats in those areas.

Also, update:

The RP is near-ready for release.
Kiklion is helping Co-GM
Custom Map being made
Should be accepting sign-ups in early june. (To believe I started planning in March)

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
I'm just going to... place this here for everyone's benefit.

Everybody is to respect other people on the board. (3 pts / 4 mths)
The PokéCommunity is open to anyone. Do not threaten, harass or insult your fellow members, or launch personal attacks against any of them. Please respect the beliefs of other members. If someone acts uncivil, or harasses/intimidates you, you are not given the excuse to act the same in retaliation. If you disagree with the conduct of other members, please contact a staff member.

-----------------------------

Has anyone ever taken a Mary-Sue/ Gary-Stu litmus test for a character? (A Sue/Stu is most well-known as a perfect character who is usually beautiful, talented etc. though there are other subtypes, some of which are listed here).

Eh... that thing. I've taken it, yeah.

I guess my immediate reaction to that question is to admit that I feel like these tests and other sources with similar content get /waaaay/ too much credit. Going over them, most of the supposedly negative qualities feel arbitrary and poorly thought out.

It's actually supposed to be a bad thing if your character happens to share your name, and a self-insertee is automatically bad, even if that's the gimmick of a roleplay?

Suspension of disbelief is completely lost on most of these tests as well. Does anyone really care that much about names? Reeaaally, test writer? I've ironically never seen a dude name his character "Ladymag Fightmaster McAwesome", and if I did I'd probably /love/ that character because chances are that character went straight past bad to hilariously satirical.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
I'm just going to... place this here for everyone's benefit.
Everybody is to respect other people on the board. (3 pts / 4 mths)
The PokéCommunity is open to anyone. Do not threaten, harass or insult your fellow members, or launch personal attacks against any of them. Please respect the beliefs of other members. If someone acts uncivil, or harasses/intimidates you, you are not given the excuse to act the same in retaliation. If you disagree with the conduct of other members, please contact a staff member.

-----------------------------

Thank you.

This is exactly what I meant, and as it turns out it's even part of Roleplayer's Etiquette!

-

So can we please enforce this rule from now on? I feel everyone deserves kindness.

I will correct my own mistakes. As the rule states, "If someone acts uncivil, or harasses/intimidates you, you are not given the excuse to act the same in retaliation." I have disobeyed this part, and will do my best to adjust to the system. Hopefully we can all get along better. I'll do my best to not "retaliate".

On a rather saddening note, Ichiro refuses to get along with me.

Oh well, I tried.

|Equinox|

Going on a hiatus :'(
Years
This is the Roleplay Discussion Thread though, we can settle these things somewhere else! This Thread is for Roleplays, not for discussing about respect (: I'm pretty sure this isn't related to RP ideas in any way so :3

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Oh my god guys, really? Really? Is it genuinely so hard to get along?! This is a Roleplay Discussion, not a Roleplay Argument. I am far too busy with finals and end of semester assignments to deal with this, but I have to anyway.

For god's sake, do not bring your problems with eachother here. This is meant to be a nice place to casually discuss roleplaying, not to be at each other's throats. PokeCommunity has always been known to be a friendly forum and when kids step in here to see fights and negative points thrown at each other, they're gonna be rather reluctant about joining.

So here's an easy way to solve these problems without throwing virtual fists.
  1. Take it outside. Discuss it in VMs or PMs if you really wish to try and 'convince' someone to give you respect (though demanding it isn't really a great idea).
  2. Ignore it. It's how normal people live with ignorant and annoying people in real life.
  3. There is a report button for a reason. Looks like they're breaking the rules? Report it. That's what I'm here for, to deal with it with infractions.
Yes, and like Yellow's quote from the official pokecommunity rules thread, retaliating in such a way is not acceptable. Two wrongs are NOT better than a right.

Not to mention its all offtopic. So honestly, shut up, stop your whining and go back to talking about... mary-sues, yes.

Yes thank you.

*sighs and returns to homework*

EDIT: by the way, dont bother responding to this here. no more about this. If you wanna talk about it, VM/PM me.

Last edited:

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
Dammit you all, stop arguing when I'm offline, I wanted to argue too.

Also Skymin, that is not the proper way to stop a fight. From what I've noticed, Ichiro had already attempted to stop the fight when these words were written -

I LOVE YOU SUPERVEGETA!

Yes, all of you, do the same, and voila! Your respect in the RPD will go up by 50 points.
No, really, try it. He craves on your love.

----------------------------------------

How long does it take you to write a post?

IT TAKES ME 3 WEEKS ASK SUPERVEGETA AND RHCP

It takes me about 20-30 minutes to write a decent length post. But for that, I have to be in a great mood, and that's something I'm usually not in these days :B

Ice.

Ice.
Years
On with the theme of self importance...

I need the opinions of the public on my nations RP. How much stats are too many for the RP? Obviously numbers are going to be essential in order for control, but how much is too much? Right now, the economy is stat- based, and the army is to an extent. Is that too many numbers? If so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to cut down on stats in those areas.

Also, update:

The RP is near-ready for release.
Kiklion is helping Co-GM
Custom Map being made
Should be accepting sign-ups in early june. (To believe I started planning in March)

I'm just going to put this here, get some discussion flowing. ( Not trying to be spammy, but that is how it goes.

On the topic of Gary-Stus, for kicks im gonna have to name a character that for a RP.

Pkmn Trainer Butthead

Proto (Not the *****)
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
*Grumble* *cough* lets discuss roleplaying for once *cough*

@Underground_Zephyr: I believe some stats are okay, as long as they are simple, well-explained and don't dominate the RP.

About Gary stu's, I haven't taken any tests, but I check my SU's for Gary Stuness.

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
Years

It's actually supposed to be a bad thing if your character happens to share your name, and a self-insertee is automatically bad, even if that's the gimmick of a roleplay?

Suspension of disbelief is completely lost on most of these tests as well. Does anyone really care that much about names? Reeaaally, test writer? I've ironically never seen a dude name his character "Ladymag Fightmaster McAwesome", and if I did I'd probably /love/ that character because chances are that character went straight past bad to hilariously satirical.

Well different writers have different ways of doing things; I for one have never used my own name for a character, but admittedly parts of myself and the people around me do seep into a character no matter how I try to keep them separate (like I don't play girly girls often and prefer RPing as guys because I'm a tomboy myself).

And I guess some people do - there are those out there who will cringe if your character is called, I dunno (and this is only an example of something I've seen) Raine Winters, or something along those kinda lines. Some people will love it. Others will hate it - like everything it's opinion. And you'll probably come across characters with names like that in troll fics. XD If you've ever heard of the Harry Potter fan fiction 'My Immortal' (though if you haven't it's a hilarious read, though rated as mature by fanfiction.net standards; there are also dramatic readings of it on YouTube) the main character is a goth called Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way. Of course, that is fan fiction and not RPing, but if you're using OCs in the former then they're pretty similar.

Mr. Mammoth

One cool snowman
Years
Are we practicing the daily "Love Supervegeta Hour"? Can I also love Supervegeta? I'm gonna' love Supervegeta now.

But, to answer your question Ichiro, I was sort of planning on the ability for RPers to catch wild Pokémon as well as Shadow Pokémon. I had originally planned for it to be about both Cipher and Team Snagem trying to conquer Orre. They would of course rival each other in doing so. But now, I'm not really sure anymore...

|Equinox|

Going on a hiatus :'(
Years
Who doesn't love/worship Supervegeta? -girly fan squeal-

Orre is less common here :3 Most common region has to be Kanto xD Next is Johto. I wonder if we'll have something in Almia/Fiore/Oblivia...

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
Who doesn't love/worship Supervegeta? -girly fan squeal-

Orre is less common here :3 Most common region has to be Kanto xD Next is Johto. I wonder if we'll have something in Almia/Fiore/Oblivia...

Iirc, Fiore was the region in the first Pokemon Ranger, right?

Whatever the name of that region was, it was actually a pretty crap region. IT DOESN'T DESERVE ANY RP!

Well, tbh, I guess those regions are built entirely for rangers only. So I guess most people would only base a RP in those regions if it's a ranger RP?

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
Years
What in the -world- is going on with the layout of the site? I know this doesn't have anything to do with roleplay or the like, but quite frankly, it's really difficult for me to tell when there's new posts in the different threads :I

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
Don't judge me:
Spoiler:

Anyway, would anyone like to join my RP? Kingdoms At War: The Dark Ages. I really don't want it to die.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
Sir Bastian- Somewhere under in the page you can change the lay out back :) i did too, it's now the shiny beauty of unova again (or however that layout is called)

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
SD- i know :3 from the times that you asked me to do some stuff on your account. I was like "huh? He has a different background than me! XD" haha

But you know, i'm not sure if we are allowed to talk about the layouts of pokemon community :3 mostly because this is an roleplay discussion thread, so let's cut it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back