• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Team Discussion: What's Your Style?

Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Aug 28, 2014
When it comes to Gen III, I've been playing it long enough to consider myself an expert, but I find it extremely hard to build an excellent team...so many Pokémon to choose!
So what's your favorite Pokémon team and strategies?

Sirfetch’d

Gen 3 had so many great Pokemon to offer that I found it quite easy to make a good team that could win even without a set strategy. I just mixed my team up with my 2 favorite gen 3 Pokemon, Castform and Blaziken, and then added a few others that really just depended on who I ran into and felt like incorporating into my team.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've had plenty of teams in gen. three, and all of them worked fairly well. In my latest run of Pokémon Emerald (which I've gotten done about a week ago), my team consisted of Aerodactyl, Metagross, Breloom, Blissey, Blaziken, and Alteria. Aerodactyl, Metagross, and Breloom were the physical attackers of the team, Blissey was the supporter, and Alteria was the special attacker. This team may not perform very well in competitive play, as it wasn't built for it. In-game though, the team's quite excellent. I've been able to defeat the entire league with it only within eight to nine minutes. With the help of this team, I also had the chance to get a winning streak of eighty-seven in Battle Tower. My streak was broken, though, because the opponent that I was facing had an extremely tough strategy. They were getting a lot of critical hits landed on me as well, so, yeah. If I'd won only thirteen more matches, then I could've reached a hundred and finally battled against the Frontier Brain. d:

Last edited:

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
In Emerald, my team consisted of Swampert, Camerupt, Manectric, Swellow, Salamence and Gardevoir. Their movesets consist of powerful and accurate STAB moves as well as moves that counter their individual weaknesses, the easiest example being Ice Beam for Swampert to counter Grass-types and so on. I rarely use supporting moves as I focus purely on strength and speed to OHKO the opponent's Pokemon with little trouble.

GreyVirgo

•=ØInfinityØ=•
Years
In Firered, My team has Venusaur,Vaporeon and Scyther right now I'm EV training Scyther because I already finished the game and I'm still planning what my Scyther's moveset will be because My Venusaur and Vaporeon are already perfect and I'm not yet finished with my team yet, I switch my Pokemon in battle alot and I buy lots of useful Items right now I saved in Route 1 to EV train Scyther.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
Well it took a long time ha ha :) first of all i choose Chamander in Leaf green which was my first GEN 3 game then i catched many many Pokemon, I had many strong Pokemon to choose - Gyradoes,Zapdos, Articno,Molters, Rhyhorn, Blastoise (Got by trade), Venusaur (Trade), Dragonite, Corbat (trade), Regis (All i got from trade), Arcaine. these are the Pokemon at first i choose then i start viewing all the Stats of Pokemon then i choose the Pokemon that were good in Attack and defence Mostly so i choose these - Arcaine, Charizard, Blastoise, Gyradoes, Zapdos, Dragonite.

Well after i beat the first League and getting the National Pokedex i tried to find these - Rayquaza, Kygore, Groudon, Legendary dogs, Steelix, Galie, Nidoking, Ho - oh, Lugia these all are the Pokemon i got then i need to choose between these Pokemon, But its the hardest thing i need to decide, All are Powerful i got totally confused and i just want a advise from someone but i didn't remember what did i actually choose cause my First Pokemon gameplay was in 2006 which was this game Leaf green and i have beat all the 3RD GEN Games total 20 times so i don't remember so much.

Years
On my first play through of Ruby my team was Swellow, Magneton, Sceptile, Lintoone, Machoke and Psyduck, Quite how I manged to win the pokemon league with that team am not quite sure. If I was to do it again only Swellow and Sceptile would remain in my team. Having said that that Magneton was transferred to Heartgold and evolved to Magnezone and used in the pokemon league then transferd to Platinum and then to White to complete the Pokemon league in those games.

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2023
Fire-prime time ally.
Electric- my homie
Dragons-Dope
Water-The enemy -.-
Grass- BURN! hoho
Ice-bamf
Dark- so sick
Poison- I enjoy
Psychic- too beast
ghost- awesome!
Steel- awesome type
normal-meh
fighting- uh huh
flying- yo
Rock-uhh
ground-k
Bug- I can handle it
fairy- get that weak **** out of here!

Ill use any pokemon, i dont care I want to catch them all and train them to their full potential, ei. lvl100 with awesome attacks. considering both accuracy power stats and stab. id give a **** bout iv and ev but not my thing. I do recognize what naatures can do though.
I have A LOT of favorite pokemon.
My goal is to just catch every pokemon. power them up, put them in a box based on their type.
make type specific teams and defeat the elite for with each and everyone of them.
----------------------------------------------------------
Now Im into hacking.
I can make my own moves, assign them accordngly, altr stats and evolutions.
whatever I see fit.
1st and 2nd gen were more ominous than they are now.
"such pretty colors"
I recolor sprites make them look darker and more realistic from my perspective.
I enjoy breeding tm's, stat boosing items, evolutions and the story.
i just wish it was darker, more ominous and cruel like it did so long ago.

Last edited:

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I always try to make both a type and strength balance in my teams, avoiding two-stage Pokémon such as Mightyena and Linoone. I also try to avoid Normal and Fighting type Pokémon, and pick Pokémon that either look awesome or have killer stats (preferably both).

Oddly enough, I found it somewhat difficult to make a dream team in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. And I don't play my FireRed and LeafGreen enough to tell whether those games even have a decent selection. .-.

Years
I always used fast and heavy damaging Pokemon to end battles quickly, as competitive battling other than AI in Battle Frontier (if that counts) in Gen III is nonexistent.

KirbyX

Veteran Pokemon Master
Years
I tend to use pokemon that are larger and have robust defenses like Snorlax, Dragonite, and Tyranitar, are unique like Gengar and Mew. All have large move pools for unpredictability, and very broad type coverage, yet I use plenty of STAB and never use a attack with a power of less than 75 the average being closer to 100. I only use attacks that cause status problems to ensure a near 100% catch rate as I hate wasting money on pokeballs. Its important to have no weakness in common and to match one pokemons weaknesses with another pokemons resistances and immunity's. That said half my team is weak to fighting but the other half has that covered and only two are 4X weak to anything, the rest only having 2 X weaknesses.
I've spent more time planning and familiarizing myself with my future team as I have playing the games but I'm only twenty hours into both FR and LG, thank god for 3X Emulator speed, I should be to the final 4 by New Years.

Memoric

Real Eyes
Years
Usually, I just get pokemon that I like. In my last Emerald run, I had Blaziken, Cacturne, Flygon, Gardevoir, Aggron, and Salamence. I only got Salamence before the E4, so I had only 5 pokemon up to the 8th Gym. I only catch pokemon that I like unless I really need to use some weak HMs (Cut/Flash Slave Nincada, Dive/Rock Smash Slave Marill). But even with just 5, I was freaking beast.

Since this is ingame and not competitive, the only good strategy I use is just SPAM-FOREVER!!!, ala Destiny Red from the Nuzlocke Comic. I also try to avoid having two of the same type since that's just redundant, unless it's Dragon, since they're just too awesome.

I tend to avoid moves that don't have a 100 accuracy. I'm not the type of person who likes to take risks. As an example, I swapped Blaziken's Blaze Kick for Flamethrower, which freaking cost me an 80 grand. Exceptions, of course, is when something needs a move, like me giving Fire Blast to Mence.

Though this team has some flaws, like no Ice-type moves D:, this is the team that brought me through the game, and I'm proud of them.

manadhon

RTX-008L
Years
I was always one of those guys that rarely bothered with training of any sort (outside of battling), and only relied on a single Pokemon. The rest of my roster consisted of either HM slaves, eye candy, or meat shields. I'll admit it was crude, but that strategy is the reason why I destroyed the Elite Four with a Clefable.

Kaizaer Dragonovian

Kaizaer Dragonovian
Years
All dragons, I use a good amount of different moves. My dragonite has all different types of moves, My partner, Gyarados, has moves great for double battles and enemies he isnt good against. Dragons do have alot of 4x supereffective moves, Dragonite, Aerodactyl, Salamence and flygon have 4x weakness to Ice. Charizard has a 4x weakness to Rock, and Gyarados has a 4x weakness to electric. You just need to know how to combat them. the pokemon that destroys my pokemon most would be snorlax. He can have many different types of moves and is extremely hard to kill. My dragons are not specialized in fighting so I best work on that. There you have it. Combat your weaknesses to become the strongest trainer and build the ultimate team.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 27, 2013
Well, I am not an expert of the Generation III, but I think I know a lot about the pokemons up to Generation II. So I usually stick to them, playing Fire Red/Leaf Green/Crystal helps with this :)

But my overall team compositions were usually mixed up. I like to have something for each situation. My favourite ( unfortunately with hacks to the wild pokemon ) was:

1. Heracross - fighting, bug, ground;
2. Houndoom - fire, dark, steel;
3. Ampharos - electric, steel;
4. Slowbro - water, ice, psychic, ghost;
5. Aerodactyl - dragon, rock, flying;
6. Vileplume/Victreebell - grass, poison, fire (sunny day);

It gives me an attack from each type and I can roll :)

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
Well, I am not an expert of the Generation III, but I think I know a lot about the pokemons up to Generation II. So I usually stick to them, playing Fire Red/Leaf Green/Crystal helps with this :)

But my overall team compositions were usually mixed up. I like to have something for each situation. My favourite ( unfortunately with hacks to the wild pokemon ) was:

1. Heracross - fighting, bug, ground;
2. Houndoom - fire, dark, steel;
3. Ampharos - electric, steel;
4. Slowbro - water, ice, psychic, ghost;
5. Aerodactyl - dragon, rock, flying;
6. Vileplume/Victreebell - grass, poison, fire (sunny day);

It gives me an attack from each type and I can roll :)

Great team strong and attractive. Do you have both Vileplume and Victreebell ? And Slowrbow isn't ghost type ? is it ? And Vileplume/Victreebell isn't Fire type. And Houndoom isn't Steel type. And all these there is one thing wrong in every Pokemon you listed in. Are telling something else or what ?

By : Memoric :
Usually, I just get pokemon that I like. In my last Emerald run, I had Blaziken, Cacturne, Flygon, Gardevoir, Aggron, and Salamence. I only got Salamence before the E4, so I had only 5 pokemon up to the 8th Gym. I only catch pokemon that I like unless I really need to use some weak HMs (Cut/Flash Slave Nincada, Dive/Rock Smash Slave Marill). But even with just 5, I was freaking beast.

Since this is ingame and not competitive, the only good strategy I use is just SPAM-FOREVER!!!, ala Destiny Red from the Nuzlocke Comic. I also try to avoid having two of the same type since that's just redundant, unless it's Dragon, since they're just too awesome.

I tend to avoid moves that don't have a 100 accuracy. I'm not the type of person who likes to take risks. As an example, I swapped Blaziken's Blaze Kick for Flamethrower, which freaking cost me an 80 grand. Exceptions, of course, is when something needs a move, like me giving Fire Blast to Mence.

Though this team has some flaws, like no Ice-type moves D:, this is the team that brought me through the game, and I'm proud of them.

Well great team. Aggron is one of my favorite.

by - Gardevoir the Dragon Slayer :
On my first play through of Ruby my team was Swellow, Magneton, Sceptile, Lintoone, Machoke and Psyduck, Quite how I manged to win the pokemon league with that team am not quite sure. If I was to do it again only Swellow and Sceptile would remain in my team. Having said that that Magneton was transferred to Heartgold and evolved to Magnezone and used in the pokemon league then transferd to Platinum and then to White to complete the Pokemon league in those games.

Swellow isn't too good but its not bad though. Magneton ? And Lintoone are also not so good in league however. anyway great team..

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 16, 2015
R/S/E

Zigzagoon - HM slave that finds suspiciously useful things.
Gardevoir - it's feminine Alakazam without the "trade evolution" nonsense.
Breloom - one cool... dinosaur, I guess.
Crobat - common does not mean weak.
Tentacruel - god of the seas, ridiculously powerful. Caught in Dewford with an Old Rod.
Manectric - self-explanatory.
Cacturne - just plain awesome. It sounds like a gun!
Heracross - *crunching sound*
Walrein - Ice-types are weak but cool.
Lanturn - dat typing.

FR/LG

Butterfree
- Sleep is outlawed in competitive battling for good reason. Sleep Powder + Compoundeyes gives near guaranteed sleep. You do the math.
Primeape - a cool Fighting Pokémon which can actually evolve fully. *kicks Nintendo's leg*
Kadabra - still awesome without that final evolution.
Dugtrio - it might have weak defenses, but few survive to take advantage of that.
Tentacruel - I like 'em.
Magneton - one mean mean machine.
Hitmonlee - *crunching sound*
Starmie - Surf, Psychic, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam. The best phrases in the English language.
Vaporeon - Awesome.
Jolteon - Lord, why'd you make me choose! (Nobody likes you, Flareon.)

And then some others slotted in until everything is all nice and type-balanced like.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 3, 2014
My teams for adventure mode generally consist of hard hitters who finish fights quickly. Usually I have three attacks on each pokemon. I don't play competitively so I don't have Toxic stalling teams or entry hazard traps and I don't like sleep moves.

I am planing to change it up for adventure though. The one hit kills and shift battle style into an advantageous pokemon to OHKO is starting to bore me.

blue

gucci
Years
Gen III was the best generation in terms of Pokémon designs for me, some of my all-time favorites reside in that Generation so for me it was difficult to narrow them down to using just six. It would usually go something like Blaziken, Swellow, Gardevoir, Breloom, Altaria & Manectric.

Back