• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Shiny Hunting vs RNG

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
This is a debate that has been going on for a long time; which is better, shiny hunting or RNG?

Shiny hunting is the act of finding shiny Pokemon through the use of random encounters and soft resetting. Essentially the idea is to encounter as many Pokemon as possible in the hopes of one of them being shiny. It's considered a much slower and more tedious method of obtaining shiny Pokemon than RNG, and the Pokemon you obtain don't necessarily have good IVs or natures, but its considered a fairer and easier way of obtaining the shiny Pokemon you want and has been referred to as a more honest way of finding the Pokemon.

RNG is the act of manipulating the game's internal clock and using methods of frame advancement in order to make certain Pokemon appear. This method can easily yield flawless Pokemon with whatever traits you desire, but it takes a lot of skill to get it right and it can be very hard to work with, sometimes taking days to perform just one RNG.

So the question is: which do you prefer?

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Personally as most everyone should know, I prefer RNG abuse because to be honest, I do not have the patience to shiny hunt and I'd hate the shiny because it would have a random nature and IVs, which is totally undesirable to me. This is not saying that I'd toss a random shiny if I ever saw one, but I have never seen one. xD It takes a lot of time and patience to shiny hunt, so more power to the people that can do it, in my opinion. RNGing takes time to learn but after you get it down it's wonderful, easy, and quite fun. ^^

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
RNG definitely. It's fun, doesn't take as long, and you get the results that you want. Plus I like doing bps/cps for people cause giving someone a desired Pokemon can make their day. You never know! Shiny hunting...takes too long for my taste. I gave up on SRing for a shiny Kyogre in Sapphire lol. And I think it's ridiculous to run around in the grass all day waiting on a shiny. It seems tedious and boring, but that could also be said about RNG by someone that doesn't know how.

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
I disagree that shiny hunting is easier. OK, you need no skills, but it takes LOADS of time. Learning RNG in 5th Generation with a good guide takes max. 3-4 hours so not a big deal, really. Also, Shiny hunting is some kind of manipulating game. You reset to get a shiny. Technically, the only difference between RNG and hunting is that in RNG, you know exactly what and when you have to hit and in hunting you do exactly the same thing but blindfolded.

My answer is: can't be bothered to waste months on shiny. I RNG them. Also, I play competitively, so IVs are important to me and IV hunting is also time consuming, so nothx.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Shiny hunting is much too tedious in my opinion. I know RNG is pretty difficult too, but I could do in 30 minutes to an hour what would take days/weeks with shiny hunting. Plus RNG yields much better results if you know what you're doing. o3o

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
It's considered a much slower and more tedious method of obtaining shiny Pokemon than RNG...but its considered a fairer and easier way of obtaining the shiny Pokemon you want and has been referred to as a more honest way of finding the Pokemon.

Slower, tedious, and easier? If it's slower and more tedious, it's not easier.

My personal preference is RNG. I know what I'm after, I know how to get it, and I always get it. As to why it's referred to as a "more honest way" of finding a shing, I don't see why some people choose to say, but you know they don't have a problem when taking an RNG'd Pokémon. RNG and shiny hunting are two sides of the same coin. They're essentially both manipulating the game (resetting for a shiny / hitting a frame or delay). The only difference between the two methods are the players themselves. Someone who can RNG knows exactly how to obtain the shiny they're after by simply knowing when to enter the game. That's all there is to it.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
Years
I used to do shiny hunting mainly before I really got into RNG. I remember spending so much time SRing for a Snivy that I never finished because I was too lazy to keep going after like 3,000 SRs. Once I learned how to RNG it became so easy to obtain shiny and flawless pokemon. You lose some of the surprise element but I would much rather have many shinies than just one in forever.

Wiilio

Friendly neighborhood fatman
Years
For time's sake, I do RNG if I want a shiny (which I usually don't nowadays; shinies have kinda lost their special appeal, and now it's just down to color preference, and I usually prefer regular colors). It is easier, for sure.

However, it's just something about actual hunting that takes the color preference and makes it special again. You actually have to work for it. And yeah, it is hard. That, to me, just makes it more special.

For example, I have a bunch of shinies I've RNG'd on Pokecheck in a box called "Trophy Case." They're cool and all, I guess.

But my only random encounter shiny that I still have, my Garchomp, is sitting right on my in-game team in White, just because it means a lot to me.
(It helps that it's Jolly with 31 Speed too :3)

And when I used to chain, my heart always skipped a beat when I saw that one patch sparkle. It was just awesome to see. When I run through Platinum again, I'll probably get into chaining after I get my Uxie.

So, in short, I prefer RNG for convenience, but when I want to make it special, I'd rather shiny hunt.

</endscene>

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
RNG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shiny hunting. I just cannot with Shiny Hunting. ):< It's so frustrating and ugh! With RNG you can choose the Pokemon you're getting. You can basically twist the game to your liking, in a sense. Shiny hunting is just a random mess. I used to shiny hunt in GSC. And then I tried in RSE. The latter is where I gave up for good because of nothing. I loved it in GSC. I did a few SR's in 4th gen just for lolz. and ended up getting 3 shinies but still!

VoxynZ

Jak And Daxter Fanboy
Years
I've never sat down and hunted for shinies, but finding one randomly in your game is an awesome feeling. That being said, the 3 shinies I've found this way, Diglett in Crystal, Golbat in Ruby, and Patrat in Black, are not extraordinary in any other way. I won't make an RNG Pokemon shiny unless I like the alternate colors. I'm still torn between shiny Milotic and regular Milotic...

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2012
Im used to finding shiny Pokemon because it will take up the time and it makes more sense to find one randomly in nature than use somthing to find it. if im correct i never really actually used RNG but im pretty surtain its a man made item. if im not correct you could take this down but i have more fun training in wild grass then POP Twinkle Twinkle i found a shiny pokemon. The first shiny pokemon i caught was a shiny raticate. Altho it was usless to me at the time i learn that its good pokemon. In pokemon Crystal i was walking in the grass by newbark town to catch a sentret because i havent caught one for the pokedex and then a shiny entei with a blue colored star mouth...thing i dont know what part that is on a Entei but i knew it was shiny because of the twinkling that occured as soon as i encountered it. Altho i would have caught it if i tried i did not have scary face or any other moves that would help me. i threw a heavy ball and it shook 2 times and got loose on the 2nd one. my heart stoped when i thought i was about to catch it and i screamed at the top of my lungs at my unsuccesful capture.

I like the old style shiny capture better.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
^ Yeah but shiny hunting =/= finding a random shiny. When you shiny hunt, you're constantly looking for a shiny Pokemon basically. When you randomly find one, it's just that. Random. You weren't on the prowl for it and it was completely unexpected. idk. To me, there's a difference in finding a shiny and actually looking for a shiny, the former of which is not really considered shiny hunting.

darkrai1018

Team Shiny Leader John
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2012
i have done both shiny hunting and rng. chaining is fun but if you miss your mark, your gonna wanna break the ds. lol. but also, 5th gen rng is very complicated. 4th gen platinum rng is easy. to me, its rewarding either way, to see the shiny appear on screen with no action replay in the ds.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
RNG by far is my preference, however, I've had more luck finding random Shiny Pokémon in the wild than that of RNG abuse. It's not like I set out to find the Shiny Pokémon either. In Pokémon Emerald, I found a Shiny Tentacool. Then in the Safari Zone I found a Shiny Ledyba. Later in Pokémon SoulSilver, I found a Shiny Zubat and in the Safari Zone I found a Shiny Gloom. I have some sort of luck with Safari Zones too, because not once did either Pokémon break free. Anyways, I certainly don't like random encounters because I'm either not prepared or they are much too tedious.

TY

Im hunting 'em, cause im a real noob in the RNG section (really, i cant hit any seed with my lack of reactions >.<)...

Althrough its taking a lot of time, i found 3 shinies in a row... (Drilbur, Ferroseed, Swanna)

Years
I dislike both of them because I can't understand them. I chain shinies and it takes forever. I breed for shinies and it takes forever. I spend about 7 hours looking things up and trying how to use the RNG reporter and it takes forever. All the guides or either for BW or were made in 2009. Can anyone help me? I'm on pearl and I just want a shiny pokemon. I don't care about IV's or anything.

Greenbeans

Guardian of Le Foret
Years
I must say rng'ing is the best way to do it, shiny hunting takes forever, where rng abuse can only take a few hours to learn then your set, its pointless to shiny hunt when you can get shinys from rng abuse!!

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
Hmmm..... RNG'ing is far quicker, far less tedious and far more efficient. Wild shinies are very rarely a beneficial nature and as for IV's the odds are massively against you. Although to me wild encounter shinies are more special and are more exciting! However I wouldn't go hunting for shinies because well I can RNG...

Years
I think RNG is better.I think it actually is the easy way,it maybe sound strange but yes.Breeding it with the means provided by the game is quite hard and needs patience.RNG takes skill,and time to master,it requires big knowledge,and being updated,but after you master it,its a piece of cake to crank out flawless shinies.Anyway,i think RNG is easier after you learnt it,and cool,so i choose that :3

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2012
i may be new here but i've read nearly every guide on this and i still dont know how it really works if someone can make it a bit simpler to understand would be most helpful

Back