• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"I could care less"

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
Years
well, it is more grammatically correct to use "couldn't care less", but I find more generally that Americans use 2could care less". I'm not trying to be offensive to anybody, but I've only seen American users say it that way.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
Haha, I thought I was the only one that cared about the way people said that XD I always say "I couldn't care less" and I've always found it really funny, and somewhat annoying, when people say they "could" care less, too. XD. If people like saying that, then fine, but I always find it annoying.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
I always say "I could care less" as "It doesn't really matter", if I mean I couldn't care less I would say I couldn't care less.

Well spoken. It is like the synonym of "I don't really care". You couldn't care less because you are incapable of doing it and because that is the limit. Anyway, this is bit confusing.

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2010
Well spoken. It is like the synonym of "I don't really care". You couldn't care less because you are incapable of doing it and because that is the limit. Anyway, this is bit confusing.
How is saying "I really don't care" anywhere like a synonym for "I care enough that there are things I care less about" which is what you're saying when you say "I could care less"?

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
I'm referring to a singular object, and it means that "I don't care because I have other things to care about". And you're making it more confusing.

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2010
I'm referring to a singular object, and it means that "I don't care because I have other things to care about". And you're making it more confusing.
But by saying "I could care less" it means there's things you care less about so therefore you DO care.

Here's a diagram

If you say "I couldn't care less"; here' is what you're saying:

Most Care Factor
Stuff
Things
Other Stuff
This
Least Care Factor

Now, notice there's nothing you care LESS about because it's at the bottom. There's nothing below it, because you could NOT care less; that's how LITTLE you care.

But if you say "I could care less" you're saying this:

Most Care Factor
Stuff
This
Things
Other Stuff
Least Care Factor

Notice how much higher it is up the list? It means you care about it quite a lot, in-fact! As a matter of fact it could be the thing you care MOST about! Because you care less about other stuff which means this is pretty darn important to you.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
One could argue that 'could care less' takes the implication of the original phrase but leaves the amount more apathy they can express open for discovery or the like.
But the phrase alone to an unfamiliar speaker implies more that one actually does care, much as though they had said 'i couldn't care more'; and indeed I took it to mean this the first few times I read it.

Subject already covered and ongoing immeditaely above, it seems. [post was edited although no edit caption is visible]

It's like arguing the political correctness of saying "God bless you". You know in what context they're saying the phase, it's not like it's in gibberish. Doesn't bother me at all.
I'd always seen these as rather literal, as back when they were first said, they would've been. 'God bless you' means what it says, to me, and hence not being monotheistic I have never said it.

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
Years
Funny thread =P

But those phrases have different meanings. They both make sense.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
Years
If you say "I could care less," that means that you can care less, but if you say "I couldn't care less," that means that you can not care less...soo...yeah. Dang, the English language is crazy. :o

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
I'll be honest, I'm extremely analytical when it comes to other people's syntax. (I certainly don't consider myself perfect, however.) Yes, I do notice when people say "I could care less."

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 6, 2013
If you say "I could care less," that means that you can care less, but if you say "I couldn't care less," that means that you can not care less...soo...yeah. Dang, the English language is crazy. :o

What about most every other language? English is one of the few (if only im not sure) laguages that has recognised the Tables do not have genders. Although the neuonces of the English language take a lifetime to understand, such as the never ending list of variables for different conjunctions.

I couldn't care less about other peoples grammar though, not on an internet forum anyway. As long as it is in some way possible to understand then im happy.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I see a lot of mods in here
I never say "I could care less" I always say "I couldn't care less". Actually, I really don't say stuff like that, if I don't care about whatever it is, I just keep my mouth shut or not type anything at all.

Kirbychuu

Chuuu!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 21, 2009
This thread gave me a good laugh. x3
Tbh, I always flat-out say "I don't care."

GKS

Retired Hacker
Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2013
They both mean the same thing...it is best to just deal with it.

MUSION

>:)
Years
I notice it a lot, but it doesn't really bug me (I'll usually just write them off as a little dim :D). Sure it's incorrect, when what they mean is that they couldn't care less, but at the end of the day I know what they meant and that's all that matters XD

Back