• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Claw fossil or Root fossil

Claw fossil or Root fossil

• Claw fossil (Anorith)

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Root fossil (Lileep)

Votes: 18 38.3%

• Total voters
Years
Originally I went for the Claw Fossil because I liked Anorith and its evolution line, but nowadays I prefer Lileep a bit more. Root is my current choice!

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Claw, but not by far.

I actually used an Armaldo on my E4 team in my first playthrough of Sapphire - it's still one of my favorite physical sweepers, even though it's a bit too slow. Great design, great stats and great movepool.

Cradily is pretty awesome too though, and in an entirely different way. It's a great staller/annoyer and actually hits reasonably hard for as primarily defensive as it is. And personally, I love its design.

Sirfetch’d

Root fossil for me. I actually am a huge fan of both Armaldo and Cradlily, but I have just been able to use Cradlily better and its bulk is really great in competitive.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Cradily is much better in battle, but I prefer Armaldo simply based on design. I find Cradily to be honestly, somewhat repulsive, whereas Armaldo is this big cheerful beast with pretty markings and one hell of a slash ready to get you - it's a Pokémon I've always adored and I've always wanted to use. Anorith all the way!

Years
I prefer the Root Fossil ( Anorith ) because the appearance is so much better than Lileep's. Plus, Anorith has some really good attack.

NaughtyBeaver

Pokemon Master
Years
  • Age 24
  • VA
  • Seen Dec 7, 2014
Trust me on this one. Choose Anorith, I recently got a lileep and evolved it into a cradily.
What you are about to see is Cradily's Moveset
1 Acid
1 Constrict
1 Ingrain
1 Astonish
8 Constrict
15 Acid
22 Ingrain
29 Confuse Ray
36 Amnesia
48 Ancient Power
60 Stockpile
60 Spit Up
60 Swallow

As You can see, this is not a good movepool whatsoever!

Now for Armaldo's moveset
1 Scratch
1 Water Gun
1 Harden
1 Mud Sport
7 Harden
13 Mud Sport
19 Water Gun
25 Metal Claw
31 Protect
37 Ancient Power
46 Fury Cutter
55 Slash
64 Rock Blast

As you can see the movepools on Cradily are far from great. But they aren't that bad. But Armaldo has better stab moves (Rock Blast, Fury Cutter) opposed to Cradily's ONLY GOOD stab move (Ancient Power).

Now for the stats
Cradily
Hp 86
Atk 81
Def 97
SpA 81
SpD 107
Spe 43
Obviously Cradily's best stat is it's SpD.

Armaldo
HP 75
Atk 125
Def 100
SpA 70
SpD 80
Spe 45
Am I the only one who see's this difference? Look at the attack stat. Obviously Cradily is the more SpD of the two. But man, 125 attack compared to 81. Obvious Choice. ARMALDO!

dd409

For the Swarm!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 4, 2013
I go with Armaldo. Stats aside, I like physical attackers and I'm a sucker for bug pokemon.

Shizzable

The Derpiest One Of All
Years
I always choose the Claw Fossil. Armaldo is freakin' awesome.

But can't you get the other one from the fossil maniac's house?

Back