• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Protagonist & Rival relationship.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Or maybe he's trying to act all tough and cool for his little sister, trying to make her think he's the strongest in the land but is secretly friendly...

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Well I think that he may be trying to set off an example of what a real trainer is like, and impress her in that way. He wants to look cool in front of his sister. :B But, I still think it's cute that he has one and walked with her. Rival/sister relationship!

Unrelated, but I wish our protagonist had a little brother or sister. Maybe even a sibling that goes off on their journey the same time as us and they would be our pseudo rival.

I really want to find out more about the rival/protagonist relationship and his relationship with anyone though to be honest. :[ It's killing me!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Maybe he is putting on a show, for everyone! Maybe he is a little bit evil, but plays the role of nice guy in order to get people to trust him. Like a spy, almost. But maybe, even though he's really evil, he truly cares for the protagonist regardless of his plans.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Acting badass for her works, but at the end if it came down to a moral thing where he had to make a decision, she'd... probably try to convince him otherwise. Then your protagonist wins and all is well when everything goes back to normal and he's... himself again. :3;

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
I don't think the rival has to act badass per say. That may be in his persona as a badass. I mean he certainly looks the part to me at least. My initially thoughts were he seems fine with people he knows, but to do people like that "police" force in Nimbasa he may be hostile toward. I can see this rivalry at a between of Cheren/Bianca & Gary. I don't see it too the degree of say Silver or Paul though. The rival may have more then a friendly rival, but not a bitter rivalry at the same time. I could see it more of him talking crap to you then anything. From appearance though he does seem to have an air of superiority along with some swag.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
To me he seems like someone who won't let himself be bossed around, good thing the player isn't ever bossy (maybe that's why he likes her/him).
He does seem to give out that cool aura...but it might be all surface, he might have hidden depths like N did for all we know...

Years
Appearance-wise, he's quite handsome, and his jacket add a cool touch to his simple, yet attractive design. And I'm such a sucker for those kind of unrealistic anime fro.
Personality-wise, we all know nothing about him. But it's reasonable to presume that he will have a rather smug personality. Over-confident, but not too arrogant to the point of jerkassery like Gary. A rivalry relationship wil blossomed between you and him, but doesn't harbor the kind of bitterness Silver and Ethan had. And he definitely seems more mature than Barry and Bianca.
And I heard somewhere that he's very protective of his sister, and willing to do anything for her...Very interested in the direction this is going.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I want this rival to have multiple character traits. A side of him that won't stand for your opinion/thoughts, a side of him that is forgiving, clever, charming, sincere and eager. Then of course that wicked/smug side of him. & With all of this, he wouldn't know what road to go down and he does several things to achieve his goal but always jumps to another. The protagonist as his sidekick will try with him to conquer all of this madness, but soon enough he gets caught up in trouble (perhaps with Akuroma and whatever evil team there may be). Then the storyline begins as well as the relationship with the protagonist! The protagonist must try and change the rival's views and remind him what life was like for the two of them since childhood.

I don't know, I think that would be cool. I'm sure there are much better ideas though!

Essentials

Lost in Thought
Years
I predict -- like what y'all said -- he'll be cocky, arrogant and rude. He's sort of a mixture of Paul, Gary and ... oh, yeah, N. But if you look at him, he looks like a nice guy, you know? I hope he'll have a heart -- unlike Paul, heartless and cruel. Even if it's the smallest of hearts.

Years
I'm thinking that the rival is gonna be cocky, a bit like Gary / Green, since that's something that hasn't been done since Gen 3, with Silver. Though, Silver started out just mean, and I don't think the BW2 rival will be quite that bad. xD;

I am thinking along the same lines as this really.

I liked that type of attitude in a rival and I am not a fan of a rival being your friend. It is alright, but just not the same for me.​

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I am thinking along the same lines as this really.

I liked that type of attitude in a rival and I am not a fan of a rival being your friend. It is alright, but just not the same for me.​

I agree. Your "rival" acting like he's your best friend in the world and doesn't want to hurt your Pokemon because you're so close feels more like a boyfriend/girlfriend rather than a rival. If he's my rival I want him to want to destroy my hopes and dreams, and then I want to watch myself crush his plans into tiny little pieces. That's the type of rival I want. So I'm really pulling for the rival in Black 2 and White 2 to be cocky and arrogant as all get out, while still liking you as a person, but still wanting to crush you.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I agree. Your "rival" acting like he's your best friend in the world and doesn't want to hurt your Pokemon because you're so close feels more like a boyfriend/girlfriend rather than a rival. If he's my rival I want him to want to destroy my hopes and dreams, and then I want to watch myself crush his plans into tiny little pieces. That's the type of rival I want. So I'm really pulling for the rival in Black 2 and White 2 to be cocky and arrogant as all get out, while still liking you as a person, but still wanting to crush you.
I see the childhood friendship and the bond between the rival and protagonist as a key to competition to better the both of the characters. It's like a competition with your friend to try and get the highest grade on a test -- you're both going to put effort into it and in the end you will both succeed, however one might get the best victory out of it. In this case, it doesn't necessarily mean that he won't hurt your Pokémon because of it, and GameFreak wouldn't even do that for a rival. O_o

I like the friendship rivalry because it shows a compassion and competitive side.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Well yeah I like the friendship and whatnot, but I'd rather a friendship be built at the end, more like Gary/Blue. Gary hated Ash all the way up until the end, and then they became great friends and even better rivals towards one another.
It was cute for a while hating the friend be a rival, but after a while you kind of want Silver back. The kid who thinks he's the greatest and can't be beat, but then learns in the end that he was wrong, you were right, and you will always be better.

I just want him to be a jerk who loves me in the end, is all. ;;
You know, like one of those romantic comedies.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Based upon the rival's appearance, I don't think he'll be another Silver. He definitely looks like he'll be cocky and confident, but I don't think he'll be the type of trainer who comes off as rude.

I hear he's another childhood friend rival, so here's how I can picture him in the games, or at least how I'd like him to be. This all depends on how far GameFreak is actually willing to play with the rival's development. Anyway, growing up as friends he's always been the lesser version of you in the eyes of other people at school and home. At some point in time, the friendship grew distant as he started to become jealous of all the glory and attention you received. That's when he gradually changed into more of the loner type and started to do things on his own so people would stop comparing him with you.

When his younger sister was born, she started to idolize you more like an older sibling than her own brother. This is what really sends your rival off the deep end. He swears to himself that he'll be better. He swears to himself that he'll be better than you, and that he'll finally receive the recognition he deserves and that his sister will admire him more than she admires you, as nothing hurts more than when your own family praises someone else and sort of ignores your accomplishments in light of someone else.

So he ends up this cocky and confident character, but really he's just an insecure trainer searching for the recognition of his own accomplishments rather than be compared to you all the time. That's when he falls into the hands of the [secretly sinister] Professor Akuroma, who gives him all the attention and praise he's always wanted growing up. Your rival finds comfort in the attention he gets from this highly recognized professor, but really the professor is just using him to advance on his own evil plot.

By the end, your rival comes into the light of what the professor has been up to with him all this time, and when all is done and over with, he finds the real truth in himself and a new sense of confidence. A confidence that he is good at something [what that is, I have no idea yet] and that he will continue to get better at it. He realizes that he no longer has to compete with you to be better at everything, but that he is talented in his own skill and will work on improving it. This is where he receives the right type of recognition from others, and more importantly his sister and family that changes him to be a better person, and of course, a better friend to you.

All that said, the chances of this actually happening are probably slim to none!

Beth

DEAD ACCOUNT
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2012
Aw. Don't leave poor Bianca out. haha
Barry, though, I will never miss him.
I'm sorry, but he was just annoying, always bumping into me...*mumbles*
Er...I wonder if it will be a love relationship? Probably not if there aren't two rivals whom is your opposite sex...no doubt some fans would like that, however. lol.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Er...I wonder if it will be a love relationship? Probably not if there aren't two rivals whom is your opposite sex...no doubt some fans would like that, however. lol.

The rival doesn't really seem like one for love with the main character. :x I mean even if it's the female and rival, I don't see anything more than just a fan shipping. XD; He doesn't seem like the friendliest of guys.

IKawaiiThief

Summer Sakura Trainer!
Years
The rival could be your cousin or something, and both of you set out on a journey after your dad and his uncle ( coz he's your cousin ) gives you both a starter each. He lives in the new Starting City as well.

Beth

DEAD ACCOUNT
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2012
Love is surprising. My sister and her boyfriend have nothing in common and they've been dating for 2 year o.o

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Love is surprising. My sister and her boyfriend have nothing in common and they've been dating for 2 year o.o

Well it's not that the protag/rival wouldn't have anything in common, it's just that he doesn't seem like the type for love or crushes. :(

Back