• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overworld Inserting (Remake)

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
OW Inserting tutorial mate! Here's the stuff you need:

1) GIMP
2) NSE CLASSIC
3) Ur Sprite(s) (if you are inserting only one sprite watch my other OW inserting tutorial)
4) ROM
5) IrfanView

1) Get ready your sprites in a row like this:
Spoiler:

Make sure the background color isn't the same as any color in the sprite. Save it as a PNG image or a BMP image.

2) Open the image with IrfanView and index it. To do that, click on Image and then Decrease Color Depth. Change the depth to 16 color.
Spoiler:

3) Open the image in GIMP. Click on Image, Mode and check, uncheck and check again the box 'Indexed'. A new window will open. Click on 'Web Optimized bla bla bla' click convert and save the image. There is a special way you need to use to save it but I forgot what.
Spoiler:

4) Open up the image with irfanview. Slice out the sprites 1 by 1 while making sure the size of each slice is 16x32 pixels. (Ikr, pain in the butt.) To see whether you have a 16x32 slice, look at the top left where the name of the program is.
Spoiler:

paste them in another IrfanView window and save them as a PNG/BMP image.

5) Once you sliced all 12 or so 'positions' open up NSE. Load up your rom and click on File>Import>Import Image. Oh yea, I forgot. Remember to browse to the correct sprite and position first. Once you have done that, open up your 16x32 image. I cannot show you a screenshot because my NSE is being a little sonnamagun. Import all them Sprites and save it. Voila! You did it!

Credits:
774521 - Sprites
ADLFM14 - Abit of reference cuz I cannot remember everything as I am getting old (14 long years alive!).
Bruno Mars - Music Inspiration :P
link12552 - NSE Classic

Got any problem, just PM/VM or comment here.

xWhyNotx

Scripting Master
Years
I upload my image to NSE perfectly fine but when I click "save" nothing happens! ._.
It hates me.
EDIT: Fixed it. I was opening it in paint to slice it. You can't do that. it changes the pallettes for some reason.

Last edited:

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
I upload my image to NSE perfectly fine but when I click "save" nothing happens! ._.
It hates me.
EDIT: Fixed it. I was opening it in paint to slice it. You can't do that. it changes the pallettes for some reason.

Yup, that is what makes OW Spriting so troublesome ^^

Thank you so much pinkish purple!
Anytime, pal :D

xWhyNotx

Scripting Master
Years
Once your make a 16 x 32 box to slice your image with the OW's on it you can hold the right click and drag the box from frame to frame instead of redrawing it everytime. It's just a pointer to save time that I saw wasn't in the tutorial. c:

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
Please when i insert my sprites then all palette become black! HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM...

You're supposed to index them first, and after you have done that, slice the OWs from IrfanView and save them in NSE. Don't close IrfanView!

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
Would this work with Jambo's 649 patch? I see no reason why it wouldn't, unless any of those programs don't work with a patched ROM.

TweenyTodd
posted from DSi

EDIT: Also, if i use a stationary Darkrai I will only need 4 sprites right?

Last edited:

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
Would this work with Jambo's 649 patch? I see no reason why it wouldn't, unless any of those programs don't work with a patched ROM.

TweenyTodd
posted from DSi

EDIT: Also, if i use a stationary Darkrai I will only need 4 sprites right?

Think it works, never tried before. 4 sprites because you want Darkrai to look in all directions, or just straight? if you want it to look in all directions and even walk, 4 sprites are enough because Darkrai basically floats, unless you wanna add the one with the legs.

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
Think it works, never tried before. 4 sprites because you want Darkrai to look in all directions, or just straight? if you want it to look in all directions and even walk, 4 sprites are enough because Darkrai basically floats, unless you wanna add the one with the legs.

I want him to look at the player when he is talked to. Thus 4 should work... I hope.

AimayBee

Mighty Spriter
Years
Actually, you just need paint and NSE.

Export one sprite, say the male OW, then just place the edited file with the same colour palette into that file, save, import. Tada.

Then just place the second new sprite, save import into the right place, tada.

The third, fourth, get it? Nothing needed except Paint and NSE. You just made a simple process way overcomplicated.

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
I think I did something wrong...
When I imported the first picture of Darkrai, it replaced the picture of the main character standing. It also changed Darkrai's pallet to match the main characters, which messed it all up. How can I insert without it replacing an old sprite?
Sorry for being a newb...
TweenyTodd

AimayBee

Mighty Spriter
Years
When I imported the first picture of Darkrai, it replaced the picture of the main character standing. It also changed Darkrai's pallet to match the main characters, which messed it all up. How can I insert without it replacing an old sprite?
TweenyTodd

No... That's what we do. We replace old sprites with new ones. And you don't always need to change the palette if you can get someone, [like me] to remake them in the older colours.

Then inserting them is a doddle. I like that word, doddle. That's quite doddle, young sir. :D

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
lol Why can't you add completely new sprites? Theres got to be a way.
Thanks for the info, though. I will work on it.
If there is anyone who understands this better than me *cough* everyone *cough* can you please help?
I've been trying to make a ROM hack being all the persons, scripter mapper and spriter. The only thing I'm good at is mapping.

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
TweenyTodd
Hmm... if it turned into red's palette, that means that you have to press the drop-down and select ''All'' which changes all the palettes. Remember to change the frame as you change the direction Darkrai is facing. I think it is not possible to add the OWs into a completely new frame, but I may be wrong because there is a FireRed Hacked Engine which provides space for 60k++ OWs. Oh, and if u dun want to replace the hero's sprite, just move the frame to another ''calife'' npc which is not used too much, for example, that TeachyTV guy.

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
AimayBee already did it for me. I messed up far more than just that, apparently. I guess I'm just better at scripting and mapping than scripting. This tut did help a lot with understanding tho. Thnx =)

TweenyTodd

Years
I am having trouble...that when i resize my hero sprites to 32x32 and insert the new sprites in the hero sprites,then the sprites became messed up!!!!

Back