• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Netis complete Guide to the Region Map (FR/LG)

Neti

Inactive
Years
=== Introduction ===

Hello everyone. Some of you might know me, others might not. I've been inactive in romhacking for more than 3 years now, but somehow I made my way back :) Did a lot of things change? Actually: No. People still use the same tools that we used back then.
So, I started a new hack. What does every hack need of course? A region map! A few years ago, there were like 3 people who could insert a region map properly. One of them was my teammate X-Buster, who did it for me when I was working on Legend of Fenju. Now i wanted to do it myself, it can't be that hard I thought and there are probably good tutorials out nowadays. I was wrong! I did not find any good text tutorial that taught me to insert my map, I did actually find a video that showed a working method. Unfortunely I had to find out theres a lot more stuff to do than just inserting the map! Some of those things are extremely tricky and I even wrote a little tool to help me with color conversions.
With help of others and two days of work, reading Hex Bytes all day, I got together all the information I needed.

So, why not share all this information with you, now that I have it? That's what I'm gonna do now, and hopefully this will be the end of people wondering how to do this.

=== Chapters ===
  1. Tools
  2. Making the Map
  3. Making the Tileset
  4. Making the Tilemap
  5. Inserting the Tileset
  6. Inserting the Tilemap
  7. Changing the Palettes
  8. Editing the World Map Data
  9. Credits and ending Words

=== Tools ===

Spoiler:

=== Making the Map ===

Spoiler:

=== Making the Tileset ===

Spoiler:

=== Making the Tilemap ===

Spoiler:

=== Inserting the Tileset ===

Spoiler:

=== Inserting the Tilemap ===

Spoiler:

=== Changing the Palettes ===

Spoiler:

=== Changing the World Map Data ===

Spoiler:

=== Credits and ending Words ===

As I stated earlier, I had some help figuring out some of this stuff. Therefore I want to let everybody know who these awesomely helpful people were:

shinyquagsire & gogojjtech => Helped me with the Palette Editing, finding the offsets
prime-dialga => Explained the AGB calculation in another forum post I found
CoolMooseDude => Posted a helpful World Map Insertion Tutorial on youtube
MrDollSteak => Told me that the tilemap file has to be 1216 bytes in size

Also I want to thank the creators of the tools.

Lu-Ho => AdvanceMap
HackMew => FSF, unLZ.GBA
D-Trogh => NTME
X-Buster and Darthatron => WARP RE

I hope this tutorial makes a lot of strange stuff clear to a lot of people. And maybe someday this will be useless, because some cool dude came along and wrote a super-good region map insertion tool. I hope so :D But until then, refer to my tutorial.

Greetings,
Neti

Last edited:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Thanks Neti, this will help a lot of people!

Last edited:

Neti

Inactive
Years
I just heard making the tileset and tilemap is way easier using a tool called "Sphere RMXP"... anybody knows where to get it? Can't find it... If I can test it I might edit that part of the tutorial.

Years
Hi.

First of all, this tutorial is one of the best I have ever read!! Great job, Neti.

But still, I have one problem with World Map Editor. When I insert new route, I give it name. Because new names can't be given (or just I don't know how), I renamed the SEVI ISLE 6 into name I wanted. But when I applyed the location in the WME and than checked it in the game, it showed me the map of islands 4-6. Can I change that somehow?

Ow, and another problem. I tried to apoint my new route to route 4, which is in Kanto and showes the right map ingame. But while stil being in my new route, the head on map just travels acros the map. Is perhaps my map to high/width?

Neti

Inactive
Years
The thing with the wrong region map showing up: I dont know how to fix that. You should use a name/location thats already on the main map and rename that.

And the other thing: I don't really get what your problem is. Is the head on the region map not showing up at the correct location?

Neti

Inactive
Years
I can't access town map editor in advance map, why?One again, how to remove and rearrange tilesets (no duplicate) easily? BTW, thanks for the tutorial.

The town map editor was removed in the new version of A-Map i think. Try to find and download Version 1.92 instead of 1.95b.

For tileset removing and rearranging: I'm not quite sure what you mean... But check my signature, there should be a link to my tile-inserting-tutorial. Maybe that's what you need.

Years
Hi.

Thanks for the reply, Neti. About names, I figured out, that I should rename names of maps, that are already in Kanto region. But the thing is, I left the original world map as it is, I just added a few routes and towns. So I need new names for new maps without changing the original ones. So I changed names, that are not used in the game, but now I would need to relocate the region map in which they appears. Unfortunately I have no clue how to do that.

As for my second problem I made some research and got to conclusion, that my routes are not standard dimensions. That is, for example, I have one route, that is 60 width and 120 hight. So the head on the world map should move just up/down, but when I'm on that route and move around, the head moves left/right, too. I think that the head moves one square on world map when you move for about 24 squares on the map. So my question is next: is there a way to get the movement of the head on world map right without changing the dimensions of my maps?

Last edited:

Neti

Inactive
Years
I also have no clue on how to move the maps to another region map. But since A-Map can read it from the map Header, I guess with some Hex-Editing it is possible.

What you found out about the movement of the head seems to be correct, I didn't test it, but I remember I figured it out a long time ago as well^^ So I guess you will have to use standard-size maps. I usually just take the original maps, erase everything and make my new map instead of making a new map and inserting it into the game. This will also save you some free space.

Years
Well, I guess I won't bother with the world map. In most of pokemon games I never used it, except when flying ...

Oh, one question off topic, if I may. Is there a way to check for money quantity, that is above FFFF, for example $100.000? And then give/remove that quantity?

Neti

Inactive
Years
You can pm me for Off-Topic Questions, I won't answer them here because I do not want a discussion about a different topic here.
Anyway, I would have to look that money thing up myself, so you could just go and google it yourself, because that's what I would do to help you^^

If you want to reply to the money-topic, please do so in a pm.

Years
I need some help here! Whenever I import my tileset in unLZ.GBA, I get the message "Error: Image is not Indexed"! Any ideas on how to fix this? ;-; Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Neti

Inactive
Years
You need to save your image with a graphic editor that will index it. I think photoshop can do that, but I have no clue how to do it with photoshop.

I just used good old WinXP Paint (which you can download for use in Windows 7), opened an already indexed tilemap-image (the one i exported with unlz.gba) and copy-pasted my edited image (edited it with paint.net) on it. Then just hit save in WinXP Paint and it will save the palette with the image (= index it).

Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
Hey Neti, would it be fine if I use the colors in your palette for my map? I have a hard time choosing just 16 colors of my own, where they still look similar. Credit will be given if I ever finish this hack :P

Neti

Inactive
Years
Hey Neti, would it be fine if I use the colors in your palette for my map? I have a hard time choosing just 16 colors of my own, where they still look similar. Credit will be given if I ever finish this hack :P
Actually my colors are from D/P i think... So you can use them of course ;)

Back