• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What inspired you to make a Pokémon ROM Hack?

KosmoF

Diehard Pokemon Fanatic
Years
I enjoyed playing/watching various Pokemon rom hacks, and was impressed by all the hard work people put into them; so, as a thank you to other rom hackers, I decided to also give it a shot myself.

Yukari

At first I didn't know what hacking was. But when I learned what it was I thought WOW this looks fun! And I saw dozens of hacks and wanted to make my own...

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
Zel and my ideas, I had an idea to make a hack in 2009 or something similar, "News Building" a location, was forming in the mind... Hehe, attempted using PowerPoint as a tool to make my hack, however, it was the closest I had until 2010, when I downloaded AdvanceMap, and began throwing my town ideas into what my current hack will be based from, sadly, my PC died in 2011, so I had to re-start when I got a laptop, that ended up getting a virus and I had to get a new computer, which I am throwing my ideas into a a similar based hack from my first attempt called "MarioRed".

Most ideas from "MarioRed" have survived to this coming one (I hope), News Building still exists, Mare and Luigi will NOT be playable anymore, Leader Eugene survived, Scar too.
Here's a few details about this hack, Pop-culture will play a major role, it will be more mature, including Religion and Religious themes...

Last edited:
Years
Well I grew up with pokemon and I noticed that lately it has become repetitive for me you catch the same pokemon beat the same trainers whatever so I decided to make my own that is a pokemon game and it's not. I wanted a pokemon game that has aspects of the original games but also had ideas that gamefreak has never touched and I felt that I could make that happen.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 30, 2013
Well, I came to it because I have my own minecraft server with a unique map and other stuff..So recreatong that would be the coolest stuff ever, with unique fakemon for every guild (team) on our server. Sadly, we arent that good at spriting though

thiaguinhohp

Hacking newbie
Years
Well... one of my dreams is to make a Emerald rom hack. Mostly because I really liked and started playing pokemon in Gen 3. My experience playing hacks is kinda old lol. My first pokemon game was a Emerald that I got from Santa Claus. However that wasn't a "regular" cart. It was a fake cart. The game was the same as Emerald but pokemon, attack, character and city names were all different. For example: Rayquaza was called "mumu" in that game and tackle was called "bump" lol. And the worst of all: The first shiny I saw was a purple Whurple and caught it but then I discovered that the game couldn't save :'(

Some years after I get a new Gen 3 game. It was a Sapphire. I played it for years and grinded on League to evolve my pokemons to level 100. At school I came across a strange kid which was playing a strange pokemon game. It was "Pokemon Naranja" and had a Celebi in the cart image. I was surprised and traded my original Sapphire for that strange game. Then I played it inside my class(lol) to a certain point where there isn't any way to go further. I was stuck in a island and didn't had any HM. Then I felt tricked and later I found the same kid and we traded games again. I got my original Sapphire back.

Then I stopped playing pokemon hacks and played Platinum and Black1 and Black2 (stopped in Elesa's gym due to DS breaking)

Then recently I started playing GBA games in my phone and had the idea of playing pokemon hacks again. And then I found a walkthrough of Victory Fire on shofu's channel. I downloaded it and I already beat it 100%. I really liked Victory Fire Version. It inspired me to make my own hack since I saw interesting features on it like day and night, black market, character images when they speak and gen4&5 pokemons. I'm now playing it's sequel: Pokemon Resolution Version. I'm liking this game as well. I already got my second badge in it.

That's how I got interested in hacking :P
Sorry if it's too big.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 18, 2013
I've been playing around with the idea of customizing a Pokemon game since I first played the original games in the halcyon days of my youth -- that is, before I even knew what hacking would constitute or that it even was possible. That said, due to the time commitment that hacking requires, I've never been able to devote actual resources to any such project -- my current and only attempt at a hack has been worked on sporadically for many years to little tangible result.

CrimsonFlames

Bye-Beeeeeee!
Years
To me it's a who.... Who you ask?
DJG and DRG, both amazing at hacking.
Oh and don't forget WesleyFG.... :3 (from what I heard he has a poll on his site which involves what kind of hack does he make next.... check the results.)

Miikari

No problem here.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 15, 2014
Well, for me, ever since I first played the Pokemon games I always thought that it'd be super cool to make my own 'custom' story that I can call my own like, "Hey, I made this!".
And, while I was playing I always used to think, "yeah, this is where *custom content* can go!" But the thing that always stopped me in my n00b days was, "Well, I don't think I can just cut open cartridges and rewrite data, that's stupid."
Then I discovered ROMs and those custom stories that look super-cool. So, other's ROM hacks have inspired me to finally make my own! :3

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
What inspired me to make a pokemon hack was coolboy man and dany ee.Danny e's graphics patch inpired me to make a tough mod of pokemon red called tough red

Anvils Alive

Fun is infinite. Sega Enterprises.
Years
What inspired me the most were things like Vega, Blaze Black/2, and Dark Violet. I was also inspired by some now-obscure hack in progress Tailes is making called "Pokémon Jade." I also like playing top-notch hacks like YAFRH with the Nuzlocke rules, so there's also that.

Oh, wait. The 64x64 sprite resources on this site. I knew I was forgetting something!

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
Pokemon Shiny Gold (Beta 5) had been one of the first rom hacks that I had ever played and I was awed by how such extensive modifications could be done to a rom. It literally didn't even feel like a "rom hack" per se. It felt as if I was playing a official Game Freak 3rd generation game. Everything was professionally done, even down to the grammar. Now I want to follow in that game's footsteps.

HoennTM

Will my hack be done soon? Probably not.
Years
The reason I started rom hacking is that I just thought that the original games didn't bring enough in. I wanted a Pokemon world that has more to offer, a new story that isn't the same every time.

I'm not great at hacking, all my hacks are simple like "151 and 251 and 386" as I can't script for anything.
But I am still planning on making a full hack, but I'd need scripters.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
I saw these YouTube tutorials on ROM Hacking as well as these video series and stuff, so I decided to join in and I've been doing it ever since. I also told my friends about it on several occasions and how I was going to make a Pokemon Game and all that kind of stuff. I constantly printed screenshots to show to my 5th grade friends and they thought it was amazing. Although sadly enough, I never did get to make a ROM Hack. I still have the book of ideas I had for my original, so I might make something from that.

Aethestode

Hacker
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
I played Shinygold and Naranja, and I fell in love with hacking. I tried to do my own at the time (2004 I think) but failed. Then few years later (now), I tried again, and finally made my own hack :)

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
Years
My inspiration of start in the hackroms was when I play Pokemon Quartz, a good hack, I remember this hack as filled the 386 pokemon with fakemons.

And I start in the GBC hacking when I play pokemon prism, and recently playing pokemon christmas

Years
I wanted to always make my own pokemon sadly i have a mac so i can't plus i don't have the artistic ablity to do what my mind imagines. if you could, could you hack ruby to have a new legendary that my dreams has always wanted which is a human form John Lennon that I can catch as so as I get my starter pokemon. it has always been my dream to see John Lennon in Pokemon. If I was to make the hack I would call it Pokemon John. sighs the dream will never live outside of my mind.

Years
The very first hack I played was Pokemon Generations (Red) in the far 2001. But the inspiration became the last year, watching a Pokemon Blue Kaizo Nuzlocke. It was very interesting seeing how much difficulty has the game with those rules, but something there was missing. Then I decided to make a hack with Pokemon Yellow. Why Yellow? Because I just loved back in the days the fact you were able to have all the three starters.

Back